The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

What resolution to use on HD 4:3 systems?

Trnzaddict

I'm going to slowly start converting all my emulators on my HTPC to 4:3 aspect ratio up to Dreamcast to do away with the stretching and I also want to do away with the HD filters. I'm going to start to use bezels now that I'm on the newest Hyperlaunch.

As much as they do away with the jaggies, they also wash everything out and everything just looks smoothed together. I didn't realize it until I played Megaman X4 on PSX last night and it looked like shit.

So anyway I use a 1080p display, and I want to use scanlines as I tested them in a few emulators and they really fix a lot of the weird looking stuff. I guess when devs drew the graphics back then they relied on the scanlines to make them look good.

So: People that have 16:9 displays that use 4:3 with emulators..what are you using for emulator resolution?

Im in the same phase as you, Mr T. Im still not a bezel guy and dont mind the black borders. I always work with black backgrounds and even buy all my nerdmachines in black.

That said:

640x480-----4:3

800x600-----4:3

1024x768-----4:3

1152x864-----4:3

1280x960-----4:3

1400x1050-----4:3

1600x1200-----4:3

2048x1536-----4:3

3200x2400-----4:3

4000x3000-----4:3

6400x4800-----4:3

My best bet is:

1024 or 1280

Hmm.. guess my answer is to fast. After 3 secs of googling I have to dive in more:

For example, this was the first hit on google i clicked:

http://ngemu.com/threads/true-resolution-of-psx-320x224.59392/

Update: there is indeed alot of debate on the internet forums about (y)our question. PSX is 320. So tomorrow ill start it on 640 and see what it looks like

Im in the same phase as you, Mr T. Im still not a bezel guy and dont mind the black borders. I always work with black backgrounds and even buy all my nerdmachines in black.

That said:

640x480-----4:3

800x600-----4:3

1024x768-----4:3

1152x864-----4:3

1280x960-----4:3

1400x1050-----4:3

1600x1200-----4:3

2048x1536-----4:3

3200x2400-----4:3

4000x3000-----4:3

6400x4800-----4:3

My best bet is:

1024 or 1280

Hey thanks for the response. Yea there is a lot of debate about this I found but being that people are bezel crazy around here I'd figure why not ask?

So far it looks like 1280x960 is going well.

Every time I start feeling like I have a handle on things, I find I'm doing things wrong haha. I always set my resolution the same as my desktop (smoother launch) 1920x1080, and then I just have the emulator maintain aspect ratio... are you two saying that lowering my resolution will make everything look better? I mean I don't even use scanlines and I think most things look fantastic. Nothing a little Sabr won't fix for older systems, and some good anti aliasing on newer ones.

Every time I start feeling like I have a handle on things, I find I'm doing things wrong haha. I always set my resolution the same as my desktop (smoother launch) 1920x1080, and then I just have the emulator maintain aspect ratio... are you two saying that lowering my resolution will make everything look better? I mean I don't even use scanlines and I think most things look fantastic. Nothing a little Sabr won't fix for older systems, and some good anti aliasing on newer ones.

I would love to go fullscreen and then just keep aspect ratio but I thought with bezels you can't set full screen you have to do window if not they won't work?

After screwing with this last night some of the software scanlines suck on some emus. If this ends up being more trouble than what it's worth I might just keep everything as it is, but I am having a difficult time finding a SABR shader to use with 2d pSX games. Megaman X games look like smeared shit when a HQ4x filter is applied yet it does wonders for SNES and Genesis.

I always thought the trick there was just finding the right bezel that compensates... in other words forces your emulator to 4:3... that's why I always use bezels made in my native resolution... I even have a few crappy ones in my FTP folder that (I think) force 4:3 screens on 1920x1080 tvs. I could be completely off base, but I certainly don't notice any stretching. If you're using Retroarch for PSX, try this

Shader Linear

2 passes

1st Pass: Sabr 3.0, 3 passes, (Set to Nearest)

2nd pass: Blur 5x5, 1 pass, (set to linear).

(It looks good on pretty much every system, but that's if you like smooth lines (kinda cartoonie). It won't do quite as much for 3D games, but it doesn't look bad there either. I abandoned scan lines for the same reason, but you could try to find a shader with some softer lines and put it on top of this.)

Im in fullscreen now with retroarch. Keeping aspect, so i have black borders on each side. And again in the same phase as you. Trying to find a shader for gen plus. Ill try hq4x.
I only put bezels on systems I barely play, haha. But since I can't figure out how to get Retroarch to launch fullscreen for some, windowed for others, I'm thinking about making a bezel that is just black borders since they are less distracting. The bezels in my folder are mostly darker with no art or anything for just this reason.

Haha we al think alike

I have a lot of future pinball tables I like and no ratio problems with those. I have a few visual pinball tables which has to be played in window mode but it doesnt support bezels i think. Because I tried a 1920 black bordered bezel for it like you:) for now i just have it running without a desktop/taskbar/etc.

Ill check your ftp folder and will try your suggested shaders. every time i try out a shader i keep on playing and forget about what i was doing in the first place :)

I always thought the trick there was just finding the right bezel that compensates... in other words forces your emulator to 4:3... that's why I always use bezels made in my native resolution... I even have a few crappy ones in my FTP folder that (I think) force 4:3 screens on 1920x1080 tvs. I could be completely off base, but I certainly don't notice any stretching. If you're using Retroarch for PSX, try this

Shader Linear

2 passes

1st Pass: Sabr 3.0, 3 passes, (Set to Nearest)

2nd pass: Blur 5x5, 1 pass, (set to linear).

(It looks good on pretty much every system, but that's if you like smooth lines (kinda cartoonie). It won't do quite as much for 3D games, but it doesn't look bad there either. I abandoned scan lines for the same reason, but you could try to find a shader with some softer lines and put it on top of this.)

I only put bezels on systems I barely play, haha. But since I can't figure out how to get Retroarch to launch fullscreen for some, windowed for others, I'm thinking about making a bezel that is just black borders since they are less distracting. The bezels in my folder are mostly darker with no art or anything for just this reason.

So is everyone using retroarch now for PSX? I mean ePSXe was good back in the day and PCSXR is ok but it seems that ePSXe is looked at like Zsnes is to SNES nowadays: Was top back in the day, but everyone now thinks it's a hack job.

Haha we al think alike

Whenever I'm satisfied and "done" (never) building Hyperspin to where I want it, I plan to make a "rub it in your face" video to show my friends, and I'll include bezels on it. But yeah, I will never use a bezel for SNES. Trying to get into that Metroid zone with Mario looking at me from the side of the screen doesn't work for me. I don't even use my own bezels haha. Oh, and if you want to try out the shaders, I can even upload a preset of it, but DO make sure that under the Sabr shader you set that to "nearest". If you leave it on Linear it does something different.

Incidentally, putting one pass of advanced.aa linear over Nintendo 64 makes it look baby smooth. Just incredible. I've tried so much stuff with shaders but for that system, all you need is that one.

So is everyone using retroarch now for PSX? I mean ePSXe was good back in the day and PCSXR is ok but it seems that ePSXe is looked at like Zsnes is to SNES nowadays: Was top back in the day, but everyone now thinks it's a hack job.

More of a testimonial, but if multi pass shaders isn't enough, my favorite game on PS1 is Chrono Cross, and I could never get epsxe to get the visuals right. Especially the bloom when you get into a battle. So I went to xebra, and it got everything right, but no shaders. Then, Austin posted something about a RetroArch Master Build, tried it out, and never looked back. It got all the visuals perfect with absolutely no fiddling with plugins. And on my system I can put 4-5 shader passes with absolutely no slowing. So I'm not sure what everyone is doing, but personally, yeah, RetroArch for almost every system it will emulate. (This exactly is what inspired me to write the tutorial on hyperspin for it).

Lostdays..please upload your preset. I just started with retroarch on my htpc. On my game laptop Im using the usual emulators, but with the other rig i was thinking why not RA. So yes, mr T im gonna go RA for PSX. Also because thats my play rig and im using my laptop for testing and computer based roms

EDIT: I saw some presets in your ftp folder :) are those old ones?

I use both ePSXe and Zsnes :). I'm sure there are better emulators out there, but I've Always been using those. And as long as it works for me, I see no reason to switch to anything else.

Archived