Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Our NEW Hyperspin 4-Player Arcade Cabinet

ironorr84

Hey Guys, first post (I believe...)

Confession time. I've been a lurker on these forums and have been gathering resources, tips and tricks, and lots and lots of research on building a Hyperspin arcade machine. I'm a full time Director of Tech. at my place of worship, and to help kick off our summer events and give a shot in the arm for our youth group, I spent the last 3-4 weeks building this massive 4-player cabinet with Hyperspin as the frontloader.

post-54723-142870576427_thumb.jpg

I'm 6' 0", and this thing is just a hair under 7'. It rolls on 4 casters, and as we rolled it under our doorways, there is literally 1-2mm left for clearance. Hey...I wanted this thing to be as big as I could!

post-54723-142870576438_thumb.jpg

Action pose!

post-54723-142870576441_thumb.jpg

Some of the youth playing the 'cade. The guy in the middle is our pastor, master of Galaga!

post-54723-142870576442_thumb.jpg

There was so much admusement hearing from the younger kids how, "Donkey Kong is a hard game!"

I purchased the Lono2 Arcade to USB board for the button inputs, 43 concave arcade buttons and 4 joysticks from HAPP (Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and White), and oldish laptop that was busted but nicely re-purposed for the 'cade, I believe around 5 sheets of plywood, 2 sheets of a smooth particle board for the smooth/finished parts of the cabinet, a USB 3" tracball, a 40" LCD screen that was re-purposed, 2 sheets of 6x4 plexyglass for all the marquees, and later I'll design all the artwork to go inside the plexyglass displays to make it more eye-catching. I suppose I used around a gallon of black paint too. On the backside, there is a door that opens to the lower cavity of the 'cade, which houses all the electrical and computer workings. The control panel that all the joysticks and buttons are at also hinges upwards, so I can service the underworkings of the controls, and also houses a keyboard and mouse.

Today (Sun June 3rd 2012 @ 12:50ish) we reveled our newly redesigned Coffee/hangout room for all to enjoy, our newly purchased bouncy house for the kids ministry, and our big ol' arcade machine for all to enjoy. I'll try to post a short vid tomorrow with a timelapse of the first part of the build, as well as the video of me relieving the 'cade to the kids/youth and adults. Wow was it a bonus to see all of their reactions! Such a crazy awesome moment. It's so quirky to realize that all of us "kids" from the 70's and 80's are all grown up, and with all the 40-somes all the way down to the young'ins in the room, we were all crazy pumped and all are "gamers" to each their own. All us "Big Kids" were loving on the old Donkey Kongs and Pac Mans, while the younger kids were teaming up against the Foot in the TMNT games.

If the cabinet looks kinda familiar, it's because I closely designed it after the Arcangel Arcade build by ridicrick.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=944339&mpage=1

Gotta say, this was a blast to build. In the future, there will be additions and what-nots added later, but for now, the kids and adults are loving it!

Thanks for all workings done here at the Hyperspin forums. You guys have a nice base of resources to get'er done!

Ryan,

Dir. of Tech

Crossroads Christian Church

http://www.facebook.com/come2crossroadschristianchurch

Hey everyone, just finished creating a bit of a promotional video for the church and our coffee parlor that is now the home of our new arcade cabinet. I thought you guys would like to see at least a small sampling of the arcade in video.

Thanks!

Ryan

Guest fr0stbyt3

Church techno. I like it.

Great job on the overall build. Looks like it has a very nice new home. You might want to check out rain's new app hypersync to pull the themes and artwork your missing in your video!

Church techno. I like it.

Great job on the overall build. Looks like it has a very nice new home. You might want to check out rain's new app hypersync to pull the themes and artwork your missing in your video!

Hey now, that's a nice idea! I'll take a look tomorrow and check it out!

• 9 months later...
  • 4 months later...

How did I come up with my measurements? A very low tech solution I suppose. I had a very large roll of paper, taped it to the wall , marked the desired height of my 'cade, and then used a projector to project archangel's gfx on the newspaper. With a bunch of ingenuity and my high school cabinet/woodworking skills, I was able to make my cabinet.

But archangel actually just released his plans! So don't do my method...use his plans!

Archived