The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Question regarding hyper spin and keyboards

iNTiGOD

Hey guys,

I'd like some feedback on what hardware you guys use for computer based emulation.

I'm in the process of setting up dosbox and have found it very difficult and time consuming setting up controls using my logitech f710 gamepad. Like xbox or playstation controllers these obviously aren't suited for setting up computer based systems due to the sheer number of keyboard keys used.

I have setup some of my favourite games using xpadder but its not quite the same as having a keyboard in front of you.

Do you guys use keyboards in your cabinets when running dosbox, c64, spectrum etc as opposed to gamepads or joysticks?

I was thinking of getting something like the k410 (as currently my hyperspin system is running of my htpc). I'll be looking to migrate hyperspin to a cocktail cab I've got once i upgrade the hardware.

http://support.logitech.com/product/k410

Thats a really nice keyboard gigapig and I didn't even think about a backlit keys. Great idea.

I think if I have a keyboard at arms reach ill be able to make better use out of computer systems without pulling my hair out.

That keyboard looks great Gigapig. I have the K400 that is similar. The K400 works ok...the mouse pad isn't the greatest so playing anything that needs mouse control isn't going to be very good, but then again most mouse pads aren't that good for gaming purposes. How is the mouse pad on the K830? At least it looks much better, and the illuminated keys is a great addition, any idea about battery life using illuminated keys vs. not illuminated?

Point and click games mostly uses mouse of course so the SCUMMVM games really needs a mouse, same goes for some DOS games. And having a mouse pad that doesn't work well is a pain, but using a normal mouse when sitting on the couch isn't optimal either, at least not without a good mouse mat. But i usually find using a mouse on the TV a bit of a struggle thanks to the resolution of the TV and the extremely small pointer and text sometimes.

My setup is connected to a projector so the back lit keys come in very handy. Battery life is good, I've only charged it once is getting it, and the keyboard is fantastic to type on.

My only con are that even though it's in between matt and a gloss finish, it does show finger prints a little bit.

I have a trackball on my control panel that doubles as a mouse, the touchpad as you say is no good for gaming or only simple games, but its fine for surfing and if you use Windows 8.1; it has the gesture

Archived