Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Game theme install help

phillyfan

Hello,

I have had Hyperspin up and running for a while now. I had the default theme with box, cartridge and videos for a few systems. With the CPS I found the themes for the few games I had and got them working. The steps I used were 1) download them 2) unzip 3) copy each file to the folder EG Artwork1 to Artwork1 folder 4) rename file eg Artwork1 to 1942. This worked good.

I would like to add themes for NES and Master System but noticed the few themes I downloaded had the same issue. The files are all the same name eg Artwork1, Artwork2 and so on. Shouldn't they be named the same as the game name in the xml? If I unzip River City Ransom theme and say overwrite it overwrites the first theme I unzipped.

I have tried to rename the zip so it matches and placed it in the media\system\themes folder and no luck.

So do I need to rename all files in a theme to the game name or am I doing something wrong?

You should update HS. The way you describe the themes work with their directories is the outdated way from several years back.

Currently themes stay zipped up with only for example art like box art for a system theme is kept unzipped in the artwork layer folder.

What version of HS are you using? Which version of HyperLaunch?

Themes stay zipped and are named after the game or system.

so system themes go in the "Main menu\Themes" folder.

Game themes go in "System name\ Themes"

I think box art and cart art goes in the Artwork 3 or 4 folders. If you unzipped a theme and found artwork 1 and 2 then that's the art for the theme and should stay zipped up in the theme not extracted.

To see which layer the theme uses for external artwork:

open the theme archive (default.zip) > open the theme.xml inside > look what artwork layers are defined and the one(s) that don't have the artwork layer in the theme zip itself is/are the folders to put the box/cart artwork into.

Thanks for the quick help. My SMS/NES were all done by renaming every file (artwork,video) to the game name and I have the Videos/carts/Box art showing up nice. But I really like themes. I did about 5 CPS themes a year ago and found all game themes had the same files Artwork1, Artwork2, Artwork3, Artwork4 and theme.xml so I had to rename all the files to match the game name.

Looks like my HS version is 0.8.0.0. HyperLaunch version 1.0.47.6. lol I tried HS 1.3.2 and copied my databases/emulators/media/settings folders over from my original setup but everything was out of whack. So I guess I need to install new version and sort out the issues or stick with the old version and spend time renaming all the files.

Just to be clear the with the new version I would just download the game theme and move it to the Media\system\Themes folder? Do I leave it zipped? Do I need to match the zipped game theme name to the game name in the database xml.

Thanks again

Ok I tried a quick setup on another computer (Win 7 64bit) and had the same boxart/cart and other artwork being all different. The issue was the system theme folder for the old hyperspin install was empty. The art work (background/system header/box art/cart) were all being controlled by the systems config file under settings. I had to rename so of the theme artwork and edit some x/y variables and all is good.

I also tried one game theme (River City Ransom) and just moved it into the theme folder and it worked like a champ. Thanks again THK. I didn't realize how old my versions were.

Also I found and solved another issue. Fusion was not closing when ESC key was pressed. Just minimizing and maximizing. I check my old computer (XP) and the new laptop (Win 7 32bit) and it worked fine there. With Windows 7 64 bit I had to add (exe = Fusion.exe -fullscreen) to the SMS and Genesis config files. Hope that helps someone.

You get HyperSync (to be replaced by HyperBase-Live in the near future) look it up. You set your systems and desired artwork and just let it download everything for you whilst you do something else.

Yes you also get rid of the dl restrictions and get access to the ftp, but syncing is where it's at for most systems

Archived