Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

NES PAL games with RetroArch

JayC

I use RetroArch for most of the systems nowadays and I like it very much...it's a lot easier to get up and running than before.

I use the Nestopia core for NES and it's very nice and smooth...but I can't seem to figure out one thing.

Because the USA NES is NTSC and the European versions is PAL the PAL games run about 20% faster in a NTSC console.

Like some of you know...some NES games like Super Mario Brothers where converted badly between ntsc and pal and the speed of the music isn't the same on both systems.

I grew up and played the one with faster music, and every time I play the one with the slower music it just doesn't feel right.

Well...I have the ROMs for both USA and Europe versions and they both work. Earlier I used another emulator and both versions worked like they should.

But with RetroArch and Nestopia core the European ROM is way too fast probably because the music is already faster and then it speeds up another 20% because of PAL to NTSC conversion.

So...my question is, how can I make RetroArch play the damn game the right way? Can I change region in the core somehow? Do I have to use another core than Nestopia?

Thankful for any input!

umm...at least i tried to explain that the Super Mario game was converted directly between PAL and NTSC and thus the music was at a different speed. I'm used to have the music faster than I get with the US version but the gameplay is the same speed. A lot of the games I play have nostalgic value to me as I figure many other Hyperspin users think. So that's why I want to play it just like I remember it. You'd think that the speed of the music isn't a big deal, but strangely it is.

• 3 weeks later...

Try using the MESS/UME core instead of NES. Then add in nespal for your PAL games, then nes for NTSC Japan and USA. I have a MESS/UME core that does all of this for sega and nes systems from that era for the exact same reason as you have described. I play double dragon II on NES and the pal version has music that is slower and more attune to the feels of my childhood.

Archived