Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Show boxart above default themes in Hyperspin

Creezz67

It depends what layers are left with the theme you are using. Most system default themes are built to include Boxart and CD/Cartridge artworks.

Commonly layers 3 & 4, but this is always down to the designer of the theme.

I would say .. yes. 

As an example I am using the Default Theme for Atari 2600 Author unknown in one of my setups.

You can see in the image below showing the Default.zip contents as well as the Theme.xml file layout.

image.png.04bbf976a513e9a7ebd77f0fd542e68d.png

The theme itself only contains Artwork1 and 2 as well as a background image which will be used for every item but the theme is also using a specific artwork 3 and 4 for each item as media layers. I.e Cases and Cartridges. 

If you navigate to the Hyperspin/Media/Atari 2600/Images folder you can see there are areas to put Artworks 3 and 4 for each item, which the theme will use if there is no default in the zip file for the theme itself.

image.png.d3dd8e8b0dc5e1b3567248ecd5bd30d9.png

Inside Artwork 3 we have the boxart.

image.png.5e69e47dbabb6b4646bd4ba628b4279f.png

And Inside Artwork 4 we have the 2D cartridge files. As they will show on top of Layer 3.

I hope that makes sense. 

If you are asking if there is an easy way to make the box art appear over game specific themes people have made though, it's not as simple as checking a box in the settings i'm afraid

Like in the case you have a bunch of game themes downloaded, it would require making sure those themes were edited individually to display the artwork folder on the correct layer, which in some cases may compromise elements of the theme itself if all the layers were already in use.

It's unfortunate as it makes a pretty strong case against using these game specific themes if you want a uniform look and don't have game specific themes for the majority, to each their own though.

Archived