Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Question about using a TV for cabinet monitor

Vanbo

Ok, so when I normally use a computer monitor with my pc, I run a vga cable from the pc to monitor.  When using this method, i can turn my computer on, and the monitor cuts on automatically with the computer.  With my arcade cabinet setup, I am going to switch things and use an old CRT television for the monitor in my cabinet.  I am going to get an S-Video to VGA converter cable to run from my pc to the tv. If I buy a hotstrip and plug the computer into the main slot on the hotstrip, will my television power on and off each time I turn the computer on, just like monitor normally does when you power a computer on and off?  How can I make the television turn on each time I turn the pc on without having to hit a button on the tv?  I won't be able to use a remote control to power the tv on, as the sensor for the remote will be hidden behind the screen bezel.  Any suggestions?

If you can find a better TV, find one with component out and then just get yourself an older video card that supports component video out. Looks 100000x better and for the average person, they would not be able to tell the difference between component out on a TV and a real arcade CGA monitor.

A lot of guys including myself are using smart strips. Run your PC in the main outlet. When you power off your PC then the other outlets turn off, which powers off your tv.

Here's an example. http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000P1QJXQ/ref=pd_aw_sim_23_1/175-9458492-1387603?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WAJM6DXX28145647E0B

Junky

This.

That's all you need to do. On mine I press the button hidden on top of the cab. It's wired to the power pin on my motherboard and fires up the PC, which turns on the marquee, turns on the speakers, turns on the monitor, turns on the rest. Pressing the button again auto-shuts down the PC, which turns everything else off as well.

I bought an old used cabinet for really cheap for an arcade, but I haven't put a pc or monitor in and yet and hooked the whole thing up.  I was really lucky to get a cabinet that still has the working power supply still hooked up to the marquee light and a switch on top of the cabinet.  So right now, when I flip that switch the marquee comes on.  I would like to figure out how to somehow wire things into my computer with that switch on top, but I don't know how to do any wiring stuff.  Going to have to do some research and figure this stuff out.

Archived