Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Just another NES PC

JayC

So, I was requested in another thread to show my NES PC build I run HyperSpin on.

Here it is, I actually built it like 3 years ago with a Zotac mini ITX with a onboard Intel Atom processor and a onboard Nvidia GPU. I though it would work well because of the GPU, but turns out it didn't. I used it for two years and it could play everything up to PSX, but was slow like hell and had to run HS on worst quality settings.

So this year I bought a candy cab and invested in a computer for it and at the same time I decided to upgrade the hardware in the NES PC.

So I got a MSI motherboard, I think it's a B81 and a Intel G3258. I use a pico power supply and only onboard intel graphics since there isn't room for a separate GPU card, it sucks yes, but I haven't had problems with it yet. I mainly use it for old console games and dos/old computer games anyway so no need for a hardcore GPU. I have the G3258 overclocked slightly but since there isn't much space for airflow I didn't push it, so I think it's at 3.8GHz right now. I installed a noctua low profile CPU cooler and it has worked great and it was the only one that would fit in the NES case.

The hard drive is installed under the motherboard since there was space available under there.

I got the case used for 20€ and when I tried it it actually worked, but the PSU was missing so the seller hadn't tried it. I gutted it and shaved off the plastic that was in the way and cut a hole in the back for the connector panel.

Both buttons work, as well as the power led. I installed a USB keyboard controller and soldered the reset button to the exit key for HS so I always can push it to get back...I never use it but it's kind of cool that it works :)

I installed two adapters for the NES controller ports to internal USB and made converter cables so I can play with original NES controllers as well as SNES controllers. I also have two Playstation 3 DS3 controllers over bluetooth that I use mainly, but the original controllers definitely has their charm. :)

I have HS running on highest quality without problem and I have even some PS2 games running on it, so it definitely is a great little console PC. The NES was the first console I played as a kid and it will always have a place in my heart, and now I can look at it every day and get so much more out of it.

Here are some pictures:

It looks very normal with the lid on.

70CclgC.jpg

But once the lid is off it's another story.

eNQYoIm.jpg

Top/side view.

cF53XK0.jpg

The RetroUSB chips soldered to the controller ports and connected to a USB header.

1gSV9Ci.jpg

And a final view from the back, I installed a small fan to get some of the air out. The power in is connected to the small input on the lower left.

rwxakvb.jpg

I'll be happy to answer any questions if you have any.

I have 2 questions.

Can you make me one? lol
And why are more people not doing something like this!? haha

Seriously though, FANTASTIC job with this. This is exactly the sort of thing I envisioned when I first learned about Hyperspin, and have been consistently surprised that so so so many people opt for a cabinet instead. (Not that you can't love a good cabinet). I'm especially impressed that you got the reset button working, and have actual control ports in place instead of changing them to USB. Also, that no doubt when you open the cartridge door, it just shows that "HyperX" Logo haha.

I had tossed around the idea of doing this with an XBOX case, but since my HDD crashed in my main gaming PC I opted to buy a whole new PC with a console shaped case instead. Perhaps for my second build I'll go back to that plan, but I need to get HS properly setup first I think. I'm going through every game/peice of art/xml by hand in order to remove any superflous data and nonsense games (barbie, edutainment, sports, shmups, that sort of thing) So I need to focus on one thing at a time lol I've already been doing this since april of last year.

Seriously though, words can't described how impressed I am with this. Great Work.

Haha, thanks!

It was actually quite an easy build, and fun. There are plenty of old non functioning NES consoles that you can reuse. An original XBOX should be even easier since there's more space, you could probably even fit a high end itx GPU in one of those with some planning and a bunch of cooling fans or liquid cooling. I went with the G3258 because it was cheap. Today I would probably go for a i3 or i5 instead as I believe they are cooler than an overclocked G3258, but it works fine for me this way so I saved some money instead.

The amd fm2 boards work pretty well too, cpu/gpu ATI processor , have one in a bartop and runs everything smooth up to PS1. I might try to do an NES. your work is very clean, might have some questions later down the road. Thanks for sharing!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well to be perfectly honest, I've never built a PC from scratch before.

Taken apart, put back together, upgraded most types of components sure... but never from scratch. I'm sure it's within my capability to do so, but it's very intimidating to me lol. If for no other reason than the fact I'm afraid I won't be able to get a windows disc to boot up for installation. (had that issue a little while ago actually)

Sadly, with an Xbox case I wouldn't be able to keep the controller ports like you have here. I can't even get the Mayflash Xbox adapter to function on my PC. Then again, with a dedicated build, I'd probably just throw XP on it for something like that. So that could work.

I truly hope you showing this off inspires some more people to do console builds. Up until now I honestly felt alone in this venture haha.

It's pretty simple actually, this was my first scratch build as well.

I saw one guy that made a NES PC that connected the NES controller ports straight to the USB header and then made a bunch of converter cables to the NES connector. That way the XBOX controller ports would look the same but actually be USB.

I reused the plastic parts that the NES board where installed with, I first cut them off and adjusted to right height and then just glued them back in, there where actually a couple that fit without modification. the HDD I don't remember...maybe zip-ties through the bottom vents? Or then I glued some kind of adapter in there.

I just found a crazy build with a full size Nvidia GPU in it. I thought about it when I first built mine but I didn't have money for a GPU at the time. The thing is that you have to cut off the plastic raised section in the bottom and fit the motherboard straight to the bottom...that way you might just have exactly the right headroom for a GPU.

Sure, here you go, now I'm not sure it's full sized, maybe it's an mid size or ITX sized, but that shouldn't matter performance wise so much...beautiful build anyway:

http://www.pcgamer.com/build-of-the-week-nes-30/

I just bid on and won a non working nes from ebay for $23, I blame you. Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I just bid on and won a non working nes from ebay for $23, I blame you. Haha

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Hahaha! YES This is exactly what I want to see, more people doing console builds! Can't wait to see what you come up with.

I made one similar to this, I'll have to take some time to read the entire thread.

Thanks for sharing! :gamer:

That's awesome! Please show us your creation :)

Sure, here you go, now I'm not sure it's full sized, maybe it's an mid size or ITX sized, but that shouldn't matter performance wise so much...beautiful build anyway:

http://www.pcgamer.com/build-of-the-week-nes-30/

Holy CRAP That is an amazing piece of work.

This is all giving me an idea though....

How easy would it be to create a super low end pc in an NES case, where all it does is play NES roms? Then hook up some controller's like you've done.

I imagine it'd be pretty low cost, and wouldn't bee too intense at all. Could probably get away with using one of those raspberry pi things I'd think.

Wow, It's like all this time people were making console inspired builds, but not talking about it. These are all so incredible.

I really need to learn how to sauder and such... I burned out a saudering iron the one time I tried, failed to fix what I was working on, AND set my kitchen table on fire...

:(

wow dude...that doesn't sound too good lol :P

Soldering is easy, but a good iron is what makes it easy, don't get a cheap one, they never warm up and won't give you as good results as a good one, I use one in the 100€ class with a separate power source and it's great, just a few seconds after turning it on it's ready and gives great results. And of course...practice make perfect.

That's awesome! Please show us your creation :)

I'll see if I can get some pics, gotta find that camera.

My build is very similar and all for 400$ total.

A few features:

-CD/DVD tray - (used a non-working gold Zelda cart for the face)

-100% concealed - (looks nearly like a NES, save for one HDMI port)

-Uses a Pico PSU

-Original power and Reset works

-Uses original NES controller

-Motherboard mounted upside-down - (because it's 100% concealed)

Built on ASRock E3501 using onboard graphics and I think only 4GBs ram.

It was made for those good old NES binges, so I only have systems that use

two or less buttons set-up on it. Remember the days when all we needed

were a D-pad and two buttons? Haha, good Stuff.

Archived