Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

WARNING FOR PRE-CONFIGURED DRIVE USERS!

SIMPLYAUSTIN

Sorry guys... Family celebration weekend so no PC allowed hehehe.  I am still sweating the alcohol from my body hehehe.  Anyways, I did not want to give out too much information due to the sensitivity of this subject and the fact it may give the wrong people the wrong ideas.

I have edited the first post to give a simple alert if you have been effected by this crap.  More info on the vids desription :D  Hope it helps some people!

If you was to look a the drives sold by these people you will see that they are copied over and over between themselves. Its not just the art from the HyperSpin website they use, they actually copy each others setups, media, programs, tools... in some cases even setup instructions! hehehe

I would like nothing more than to name and shame them, but I would need to know who ground zero is.  As low and snide as many of these sellers are I would not use slander against peoples name for something that they have no knowledge or even do in the first place.  The only thing I have concrete at this moment in time is a IP.  But I am investigating more into its ownership and passed it onto the relevant people involved. I gave a warning and hope people become more careful when they go into this kind of thing. 

Not sure what else you want mate?

• 1 month later...

For peoples interest, I've found the 2 Viruses in question.

Like a fool, it did buy one of those drives, I in the end, I used it to up date my Rom collection and then Formatted it.

With everybodies help on here, I've got a system, that I have got up and Running.

The Viruses to look out for are:

Generic_c and Pakes_c.

These maybe false positives, though they are flaged up, on different Anti-virus software I do run.

Becareful out there, when you do download your bits and pieces, something could turn round and bite.

What were the file names? I've never had a false positive on Hyperspin, so they may be a virus unless it's a cracked PC game or something.

Buying 'preconfigured drives' is a terrible idea. Considering most consoles are still being worked on constantly, their drives would be nothing more than outdated artwork, modules, emulators, databases, and a whole bunch of missing roms. Not to mention it would be a mess to update it, better off starting from scratch.

I can kinda understand why someone would buy something like that, or at least spend money on a configured system. I believe most of us here have the time and desire to tinker with our systems, but there are some people out there who can't be bothered or otherwise can't spend that much time due to whatever reason and end up going the financial route. You see the similar thing happen in F2P games, where there's the free user who grinds for all the stuff, but then you either have the wealthy dudes or persons with a busy life who cannot spend the time and end up buying their way into the game and unlocking everything from the get go.

And it's the latter portion of people that sadly succumb to these kind of people who sell bad setups and if what you are saying is true Austin then there should be indeed legal action taken against this seller. It's bad enough they have a bad setup but it's even worse to have your passwords and/or financial information stolen from you.

I'm one to agre with you. Some people just don't have the time to configure HyperSpin themselves. The thing about HS is, even when you have time it can take many months to set it up the way you like, not to mention all the collecting you have to do. So it makes sense for average people who have demanding jobs.

On the other hand, I would never buy anything preconfigured like this that goes in my computer..it's just too hard to trust anyone these days.

• 6 months later...

Personally I don't have any respect for anyone that buys stuff like that or those that sell it but they're out there so it is what it is. 

That's a real DB statement. 

That's like saying you don't have respect for those who take their cars in for repairs because they can't fix them on their own, or don't have time.

Or like saying you don't have respect for those who go out to have dinner over staying home and cooking?

How about the guy who pays a lawn guy each week instead of mowing his own yard?

I can go on and on, but my point is, to each his own.

That's your opinion, but this is mine: Who cares if you buy a drive or build your own? Either way is a learning experience and both will consume you if you let it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Avar unpinned this topic

Archived