Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Bartop fan positioning

Shepster34

Hi

Im new here but am just about to start my first bartop build. The software side is just about done so i need to get started on the actual build.

I plan on building a bartop that will play just about anything.

To enable this im going to overclock a haswell I5 4570k and also use a gtx 650ti gfx card.

using an matx mobo Im going to try and fit this in a retrocade size bartop so i know it will be a tight squeeze.

So with these high specs in mind im currently worrying about how to get air in and out of the bartop.

In a normal pc case you have the air flow with the front fan sucking cool air in straight onto the cpu cooler and gfx cooler and then warm air is pumped out by a fan at the back. Obviously with a retrocade bartop it will be hard to position a fan from the front so i wondered how you guys who have made pc bartops managed to keep the pc inside the bartop cool. Would a Large single fan blowing the warm air out of the bartop be enough? should i go water cooled and mount the fan on the back panel? The bartop will have a slight gap at the front as the front panel wont quite touch the bottom.

thanks

Im doing something similar. My plan is to have the bartop on some sorft of feet, raising it by 1/2 an inch with vent holes in the bottom. I have a 120mm fan which I plan to mount on the backside/top blowing out, so hopefully this will draw any heat out. The fan also has blue leds somshould glow nicely in the background. If youre going with small fans then I would go for an intake and outtake, which ahould give the best airflow over your parts.

Hi

Yes mine will be raised slightly too but i dont think i will have room for any slots on the bottom. Im hoping the gap at the front will allow cool air to come in as i wont have any room to put a fan to suck cool air in to the bartop. I was thinking of a large led fan myself to blow out the warm air. does anyone have a link to a quiet and decent large fan in the uk?

Hi

Yes mine will be raised slightly too but i dont think i will have room for any slots on the bottom. Im hoping the gap at the front will allow cool air to come in as i wont have any room to put a fan to suck cool air in to the bartop. I was thinking of a large led fan myself to blow out the warm air. does anyone have a link to a quiet and decent large fan in the uk?

Seems like you are in the same boat I was. I just have one 120mm fan exhausting warm air OUT of the cab. With the slot in the front bottom cool air seeps in' date=' making a decent airflow. I haven't had any problems. Just test monitor your temps w/ a graphically intense game to see how it goes.

post-73939-142870592492_thumb.jpg

Nice cab. What processor do you have running. Im hoping the haswell cpu runs fairly cool as its supposed to be good on power.

Did the fan take much fitting?

This may be a stupid question but are fans reversable or do you buy two types?

Nice cab. What processor do you have running. Im hoping the haswell cpu runs fairly cool as its supposed to be good on power.

Did the fan take much fitting?

This may be a stupid question but are fans reversable or do you buy two types?

I'm running a i5-3570K w/ a mini itx board (so it's lower power consumption/heat).

Nah, I simply cut a 12 cm hole with a jigsaw and secured the fan inside with wood screws.

Archived