Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Colored DMD!

kizam33

Has anyone thought about using Colored DMD ? It only works for a hand full of games and I am sure there will be more games to come but would it work for us on those 6 games and be "orange" for the others? Then when a new game is compatible with it all we have to do is have a certain ROM or change the script a little?? :confused:

http://www.colordmd.com

They are just LCD screens. Other than form factor, there is not really any advantage over just using an LCD monitor like people have been doing on vcabs for years. Plus the PinDMD doesn't even support them.

Now if anyone comes out with an affordable version that uses RGB LEDs, then we'll be talking...

In the meantime, for vcabs, monochrome LED and plasma DMDs are still where it's at. I love mine!

They are just LCD screens. Other than form factor, there is not really any advantage over just using an LCD monitor like people have been doing on vcabs for years.

Weird how real pinball manufacturers are trying to put LCDs into pinball machines to replace LED displays, while Vpins are trying to replace LCDs with LED displays so they can emulate real pinball machines better.

Weird how real pinball manufacturers are trying to put LCDs into pinball machines to replace LED displays, while Vpins are trying to replace LCDs with LED displays so they can emulate real pinball machines better.

The only real pinball manufacturer I'm aware of that's putting LCDs into their machines is JJP (they have one machine out btw), and that display effectively replaces the entire backglass. The VAST majority of machines out there in the last 20+ years use dot matrix displays. Those are the tables most of us play on our vcabs. Nothing weird about it really.

As far as the color 'DMD'...that's just a 3rd party toy. Pinheads are like car gearheads, always looking for ways to modify and trick out their machines. I bet if real machines had been using LCDs for all these years, they probably be modifying them with dot matrix displays now. LOL

Anyway, I think LCD back glasses are the wave of the future, and guess what, 99% of vcabs have an LCD backglass already, so we're covered. And yet some of us will still have real DMDs to maintain a more authentic experience for many of the classics. :)

The only real pinball manufacturer I'm aware of that's putting LCDs into their machines is JJP

Stern by years end, or early 2014, is doing away with DMD's and going LCD. Hasn't been officially announced, but it is going to be Steve Ritchie's game on a new platform. P3 multimorphic pinball is going to LCD http://www.multimorphic.com/. John Popadiiuk's pinball company is using LCD's. http://www.pinballinventor.org/games/atomiczombies/features.html, Spooky Pinball is going LCD

http://www.spookypinball.com/ and there are several others with the over seas pinballs going LCD.

95% of the pinball machines being built next year will be LCD, while the next newer wave of video pins are moving to LED DMD's. That is why I mentioned it was weird as video pins are built to resemble real pinball, but real pinball machines are getting away from DMDs. Maybe more ironic than weird.

BTW- I like the new DMD LED in pins, and I am putting one into my video pin. Pinball HD, Zen Pinball and Pro Pinball will hopefully/supposedly have DMD support.

No, trust me, I get it. As I stated in my previous post, I completely agree that LCD is the future. And I catch your drift; on the surface it does seem a bit ironic (a better term than 'weird' as you originally posted). But again, in reality, it's pretty simple...we desire DMDs in our vcabs because a substantial number of the tables we emulate, and will continue to, had DMDs in them.

It's no different than building a replica of a classic car and slapping a carburetor on it, even though carbs are a completely outdated technology. It's simply about striving for authenticity in emulating machines of the past.

Plus, they just look cool. :) In today's world, LCD dominates almost every electronic display device we use. Dot matrix displays have a very unique appearance, and to me they are actually a refreshing change of pace from all of the other screens we're forced to stare at on a daily basis...

Archived