Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Advice/Help creating custom control panel

bubsy54

Now that I have created my first cabinet using an XArcade Tankstick, I want to start learning how to create a custom control panel for four players.

I was initially going to just by an additional XArcade stick and disassemble and reassemble it inside my own custom control panel, but then I thought that it might be fun to start wiring things together.

I have no experience with wiring arcade controls and I was wondering if someone could help me get started by at least telling me what I need and maybe where I can find some good information on how to approach/complete this.

I have looked online and saw some things, but I am not sure what is a good approach or what materials are good to use.

I have heard of the Mini-Pac (Still don't really know how to use it) but from what I understand I will be able to connect buttons, joysticks, and a trackball to it. From the looks of it, I would need two of them in order to have 4-player controls. It also seems like I would save a lot of time using the Mini-Pac, but I am still unsure.

Any help or links would be much appreciated.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey bubsy54

I bought the Ultimarc Joystick for the 1st Player joystick. It is capable of doing both 4-way and 8-way with out having to open the CP to switch it to either one. Everything else I bought from http://www.tornadoterrys.com/surplus.htm he sells a lot of happ parts in sets on ebay and his site he has sets of new parts ready to ship all you have to do is email him you color choices.

I have not built my CP I am in process of moving again. Also still not really sure how I want mine yet so I cant really give any more advice on CP's If you come up with something kewl let me know would you ........Good Luck Dave

I would look into the ipac4 for a 4 player panel and an optipac for your trackball controls. Both available from ultimarc.

I had no experience in building a control panel until 2 months ago when I built my first 2 player panel. I can vouch for the IPac and optipac being very easy to setup. Lots of very good information over on the byoac forums.

Sent from Amstrad CPC464

I bought the Ultimarc Joystick for the 1st Player joystick. It is capable of doing both 4-way and 8-way with out having to open the CP to switch it to either one.

Which one did you get? They have few 4-8 way models to choose from. I'm thinking about getting 2 of the Servo Stick or Mag Stick Plus when I build my cab, and wonder how they compare to the Sanwa JLF-TP-8YT sticks that I put in my X-Arcade.

(I was really disappointed with the original X-Arcade sticks and the Sanwas are so much better, but they are 8 ways and playing Pacman etc is not ideal with them.)

When I get back on my feet again (out of work ATM) I plan to build a full size 4 player cabinet. Knowing what I do now I wouldn't have bought a tankstick but it gets the job done for a plug and play product. I'm not sure if I'll re-do all the controls from scratch or use the Tankstick controls for P1/P2 and then get a board for P3/P4.

One thing I learned from my very modest first cabinet project is don't economize on luxury! But then again I didn't really know about this site when I laid out my plans. This site and a few others really opened my eyes to what can be done with a home built arcade cabinet.

My other hobby is home built simpits for flight simming and my experience with hacking old usb controllers or off the shelf products is that its really easy once you get the hang of it.

Archived