Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Finally starting my Popeye machine....

MontyQ

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks great what joystick and buttons do you have in mind ?

podcastlogo_zpsc5a2f0facopy.png

Just plain old happ buttons and a zippy stick, Being built on a budget and the only reproduction Nintendo sticks I see are at Mike's Arcade but they say allow 2-3 weeks for shipping......too long a wait for me lol. I can always build it play it update it another day, lol like in 2-3 weeks ;)

For the angle of the screen all I did was measure the distance of my two 2x4 boards inside my real dk3 cab, then I measured the distand from the inside floor to the bottome of the 2x4, then fram the back edge to inside after that I knew where it went. As for the angle I just traced the angle on a flush page of paper and redrew it where I wanted my boards to be....so far so good.

If when I'm done and you like the look of how it sits then I can remeasure and tell you.

Well.. got a call from my lawyer (got child/ex issues) and I didnt make it back in time to get your package out yesterday. But.. good news is its going out right now, Ill have tracking number for you shortly. AND I threw in a complete Nintendo joystick for ya in case you decided to make it more original. I didnt want to see a zippy in there. :P

Here she is.. you just need to clean her up. You will have to route out a section under the control panel just like the real popeye because its a short shaft version. This way it will still barely stick out just like the orignal Popeye. :)

post-5410-142870599565_thumb.jpg

Well.. got a call my my lawyer (got child/ex issues) and I didnt make it back in time to get your package out yesterday. But.. good news is its going out right now, Ill have tracking number for you shortly. AND I threw in a complete Nintendo joystick for ya in case you decided to make it more original. I didnt want to see a zippy in there. :P

Here she is.. you just need to clean her up. You will have to route out a section under the control panel just like the real popeye because its a short shaft version. This way it will still barely stick out just like the orignal Popeye. :)

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31309[/ATTACH]

Wow Rick I thank you kindly, this is huge news :)

It is extremely kind of you and I thank you many times over :cheers: to you

BTW ever in Canada come on over for beers :)

Rick popeye is 8-way right? Do I need to get a 8-way restrictor plate for that stick ?

No problem man, I have about 4 or 5 of those laying around so I figured one of them can go to a good home. I need to keep the rest for my projects. :) Now, it has a 8-way guide plate. You will eventually need a 4-way guide plate found HERE unless you plan on having the cab play other games that can use 8-way. That being said I know Popeye is hard to play with an 8-way..ive tried.. its a pain, but still playable. Also it would help to get a clear plexi joystick guard HERE.

I have that backwards..not sure what i was thinking... its 8 way and popeye should be 8 way.. LOL... 4 way is hard to play..as you need to get up stairs and such..lol.. i need more sleep

No problem man, I have about 4 or 5 of those laying around so I figured one of them can go to a good home. I need to keep the rest for my projects. :) Now, it has a 8-way guide plate. You will eventually need a 4-way guide plate found HERE unless you plan on having the cab play other games that can use 8-way. That being said I know Popeye is hard to play with an 8-way..ive tried.. its a pain, but still playable. Also it would help to get a clear plexi joystick guard HERE.

Thanks I like Mikes arcade, also I swear on arcade museum they state popeye is 8-way, and I figured it was because going up and down the stairs when I play on my other machine I hit up down at an angle. But I also find it a pain lol and I thought it was because I was playing with happ sticks not a Nintendo stick for that feel.

Cheers again and yes I well get those parts as the clear plate well let me see the arrows from the art ect.

Thanks Rick :)

I have that backwards..not sure what i was thinking... its 8 way and popeye should be 8 way.. LOL... 4 way is hard to play..as you need to get up stairs and such..lol.. i need more sleep

Awsome then I'm set, ty. I play it often and find its insane as it's a very hard game to rack up the points lol. Heck I think playing DK is easier compared to popeye imo.

Well I guess I wasnt so tired after all.... what I first said was correct..its 4-way..

[ATTACH=CONFIG]31310[/ATTACH]

cheers ill order it up, ty :)

lol I got to write to mike...$24 to ship a guide plate is insane to Canada. lol I'm 45 min from Buffalo not in the Igloo area :P

Holy crap! If you cant get it changed let me know and I can order and ship you one for much cheaper. Shipping something the size of a quarter to canada will be around $6 shipping. Or even cheaper I can ship it in a letter envelope.. lol It cost $30 to ship your entire package. Art and joystick

Holy crap! If you cant get it changed let me know and I can order and ship you one for much cheaper. Shipping something the size of a quarter to canada will be around $6 shipping. Or even cheaper I can ship it in a letter envelope.. lol It cost $30 to ship your entire package. Art and joystick

Cheers Rick and I ty, but Mike just wrote and said he can ship it for $5 now as ya the $20 plus to ship an item that small was insane.

Awesome! good to hear! I always buy from Mikesarcade, one of my favorite places to shop, good guy. Also with that Nintendo controller you will not need that black plastic base part, just remove that and junk it as its for the red tent and VS cabs. Unless you can somehow fabricate a metal control panel and use it, then it makes the hole look much nicer under the joystick guard. But your best bet is remove the plastic piece, then figure out how far to route a section for the joystick base. It may be easier to just use 3/4" wood instead of 1/2", gives you more sturdyness when routing out a section really thin. Just some suggestions. Of course then that means 3/4" t-molding that wont match your 1/2" t-molding for the rest of the cab.

Awesome! good to hear! I always buy from Mikesarcade, one of my favorite places to shop, good guy. Also with that Nintendo controller you will not need that black plastic base part, just remove that and junk it as its for the red tent and VS cabs. Unless you can somehow fabricate a metal control panel and use it, then it makes the hole look much nicer under the joystick guard. But your best bet is remove the plastic piece, then figure out how far to route a section for the joystick base. It may be easier to just use 3/4" wood instead of 1/2", gives you more sturdyness when routing out a section really thin. Just some suggestions. Of course then that means 3/4" t-molding that wont match your 1/2" t-molding for the rest of the cab.

Thanks for the tips, is the plastic part easy to remove ect? Is it like the plastic on my dk3 since its cpo is metal it has this black plastic like cuff to make the hole look nice.

So much fun to be had lol, I went to local arcade rebuilders they are going to refurbish a coin door for me and that should be ready in the next few days....non Nintendo tho as they had 100s coin doors but no Nintendo. Like I said before I think its rare here in Canada like the machines never made it here often.

Right now tho the cab is ready for t-molding install. I have the PC all finished and it boots direct into the popeye theme from HS then it plays only popeye. So far all looks really nice imo lol. The art tho from you is what well turn it into pure 100% uncut popeye lol.

Do not put the hole in the kick panel yet give me a few days and see if I can find you a free Nintendo coin door and you just pay the shipping.. Then you can just keep that other coin door for another project.... Unless I don't find one

And yes it's that black piece that you're talking about for the joystick

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Do not put the hole in the kick panel yet give me a few days and see if I can find you a free Nintendo coin door and you just pay the shipping.. Then you can just keep that other coin door for another project.... Unless I don't find one

And yes it's that black piece that you're talking about for the joystick

Sent from my SCH-R530U using Tapatalk 2

Awsome sounds good, cheers :)

ya it would weaken it abit, but then kids have been smashing dk in the arcade for decades and they keep going like the energizer bunny. Plus with the shorter chubby Nintendo sticks when playing its a lot harder to like full fist it into the floor, then again I take care of all my stuff and it's not like its in an arcade....just my entertainment room.

I find playing Nintendo games on a real stick a lot different then on any other stick. It's tiny its loose play action, and I always would think playing on my other machine with stiff happ sticks it would be better.....it's nothing the same. But being a fan of those games the real stick just feels great, not like you could say play SF2 with a Nintendo stick. So in the end certain games feel just right imo with the controls you grew up playing them on. Like playing Metal Slug on a real Neo Geo cab is awesome feel for me as it seemed growing up every pool hall /bar here had a Neo Geo cab to play. lol that and Golden Tee was also everywhere.

Archived