The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

My custom selfmade vewlix cabinet

nicke36

Hello folks,

I allready build my Donkey kong arcade cab (also a thread on this forum)

DSCI0294_zps03cf9022.jpg

Now its time to start something else , because i am a really HUGE killer instinct fan (owned the 2 original cabs but sold them time ago:banghead:)

I am building a customized vewlix cabinet and i am thingking to make it like the cabinet from double helix games (developers of the new KI)

i think it looks really nice to have one like that in my home

pgalleryIMG_4963_zpsdba3d564.jpg

I also could go more this way

img_74161-e1303702149733_zpsbfd510db.jpg

i m not sure what to do so time will tell

here are the results so far of my current build

DSC_3063_zps0e2b0d13.jpg

DSC_3070_zpsb42e65ee.jpg

DSCI0300_zpsb92b125d.jpg

thx for watching :-)

• 3 weeks later...
Is there maybe someone who have the new Killer Instinct letters in high resolution or can do this for me in photoshop so i can print it to use as a marquee?

These should work perfectly.

http://playxbla.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/08/corazonBoxArt_Base.jpg

http://analogaddiction.files.wordpress.com/2013/06/killer-instinct-logo.png

I love the vewlix design. I will definitely be following your progress!

Wow I REALLY like that cabinet. For crying out loud whatever you do, don't trip at the finish line. Too many projects start off looking good and the finishing execution was a fail.

This is custom so stay custom on everything. My suggestions (for whatever it may or may not be worth) with no intent to offend anyone:

I wouldn't slap a Xarcade control panel on it. Buy the individual components and MAKE the control panel and its layout 100% your own doing

I wouldn't mount speakers to the side. If you have (for instance) surround sound speakers you plan on using then de-case those things and integrate them into the cabinet. Be careful about bleed over that'll cause unwanted noise.

I wouldn't buy "off the shelf" side art /cp artwork. It's EXACTLY like going to get a tattoo and picking one off the wall. You have lost all originality.

I wouldn't just prop a TV up in the hole and leave it. Buy a sheet of plexi glass, make a border (painters tape) and them spray paint that area black. This way your TV is the ONLY thing being seen.

I would encourage you to add a 8" powered sub woofer to it. This way you have one cable going from your motherboard audio output to the sub which in turn feeds the power to your top side speakers. Easy and clean plus the full sound will blow your mind.

Buy a wireless keyboard. Forget buying a mouse because you'll have a trackball - speaking of also add left and right mouse buttons on top of the cp.

And lastly I would HIGHLY advice you buy a bitsmart or equivalent smart power strip. This way you can simply add a button to your cabinet that runs to (for instance) your motherboard. Once that receives the signal to come on the smart power strip will fire up everything else. Also you have surge protection.

Looking good!

I put a Logitech 5.1 system in mine - it actually runs a 4.1 output in dual stereo so you can have 4 speakers (plus sub) in there just like the original. Go for that option if you can and get some similar speaker grills ...

IMG_0779.jpg

Also, check out blackboard vinyl to cover the CP and front section. It has a great finish and is more durable than regular vinyl.

IMG_0771.jpg

These wooden strips are great for hiding the TV bezel - you can wrap those in vinyl too

IMG_0764.jpg

Edit: reminder to self - redo the artwork

Looking good!

I put a Logitech 5.1 system in mine - it actually runs a 4.1 output in dual stereo so you can have 4 speakers (plus sub) in there just like the original. Go for that option if you can and get some similar speaker grills ...

IMG_0779.jpg

Also, check out blackboard vinyl to cover the CP and front section. It has a great finish and is more durable than regular vinyl.

IMG_0771.jpg

These wooden strips are great for hiding the TV bezel - you can wrap those in vinyl too

IMG_0764.jpg

Edit: reminder to self - redo the artwork

+1 mine the same. "definitely" use blackboard vinyl, its durable and easy to use. Getting a solid gloss back finish with no dust is very hard.

Better pic

DSC_3090_zpsa6b357d7.jpg

DSC_3089_zpsba078659.jpg

DSC_3087_zps3b6f29ae.jpg

@EricleroiThat vinyl looks nice

Are you planning to join the top piece (the marquee folder) to the body permanently? The reason why i ask is that you have placed putty over the groove. I have done that but later when i wanted to put the marquee and plexi in i could not get it correctly aligned nor fit the groove. I had to cut the piece as a separate in order to install the plexi later. I have also used "Black Feet for Baseboard Legs M8" as legs, which look much nicer than wheels.

post-88970-142870606907_thumb.jpg

food for thought.

The top piece will be permanently on for the plexi i dont think there are issues (if you look at other kraylix cabs they where all done like this), the wheels are very easy for the movement in house because it will be used in the living room but i can easy change this later if i want to

update again,

filling and sanding , filling and sanding filling and sanding :) thats what i did most of the time when i was working on my cabinet with this as result

DSC_30893_zps964ab9b3.jpg

DSC_30882_zps20afa018.jpg

i used brush filler (to use for the parts where i used the router on the mdf to make it very smooth)

Super smooth and soft as butter :)

when i have time in the weekend i gonna put the first layer of primer on it ,

so the next steps are

1 layer of primer

sand

2nd layer of primer

sand

and than can the real paintwork begin

nicke36, 55 minutes ago Edit Delete Report

Damn those cabs are just sexy. I currently use a Williams Defender cab with a quad panel on it and it looks like Fred Flintstone built/owned it compared to these. Nice job guys!

Curious as to how the control panel will look though? Is that flat piece simply a support/brace?

Super smooth and soft as butter :)

when i have time in the weekend i gonna put the first layer of primer on it ,

so the next steps are

1 layer of primer

sand

2nd layer of primer

sand

and than can the real paintwork begin

I assume you will be removing all dust with a tack cloth between every coat?

Archived