Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Raspberry Pi for Consol mods

Daruble

People dont usually respond to my post not sure what i post is not interesting to you all or if I have just ticked off the wrong people but please if some one would be willing to read this and point out the flaws in my idea please do. Thanks

While surfing the net I located this page http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-your-raspberry-pi-into-a-retro-game-console-498561192 that explains how to use a $35.00 micro computer. To run all you consoles.

I thought it was interesting for an all in one console. But can Hyperspin with all the movies and snaps and intros run under Linux??? The other question can a rasberry use a hard drive?

I know I could use a standard computer and this wouldn't be an issue for me. EXCEPT I have an old Intellivision 2 that I want to use as the case for my all in one console. I was considering putting a computer inside like a mini ITX motherboard. But the intellvision 2 only has room for 6 1/4" X 7"? Most of the ITX boards run around 6 3/4 inches and I was able to find a smaller motherboard thats why I am looking at the Pi.

The next step is do I convert all my controls to usb and mount a usb 3.0 hub to the front of the Intellivision 2 that way I can use Atari 2600,5200,7800 Intellivision 2 coleco all through the USB or I could use this

http://www.intellivision.us/intvgames/interface/interface.php

I also though about making all of my retro controllers wireless using this idea http://www.instructables.com/id/Making-a-Nintendo-SNES-controller-into-bluetooth-/ for all of the older games even the Intellivision controller

Thanks Dave

I have an rpi and I think they're great little machines for the money (I'm working on using mine as a Squeezebox replacement with a USB DAC). They're really under powered for general use though, with some hardware acceleration for video playback.

HS is plain not gonna work, even if you could install Windows on it (which you can't as it's an ARM processor not an x86). Drives can be plugged into the USB port with suitable adaptor, there's no direct SATA connection.

You should really do some more reading here. Work out what USB controller devices RetroPie supports. My mate has just bought a specific pad for this purpose. I've also seen people use the GPIO pins for more simple interfaces (ie Atari sticks). If you're shaky at Linux (like me) then you're gonna want to go with something that is pre-configured in the RetroPie distro.

I guess even at the end of the day, if you've gotten a spare keyboard and mouse, and you use HDMI to your TV, and you're not wanting to go wireless, and you've a spare suitable USB charger (or spare PC USB port), then you can try it out for 35 bucks. I think I spent about 60 bucks to get power, wireless and a cheapo keyboard mouse set (which I now don't use as I just SSH into the box to do the config...). If it doesn't work, or it's not what you were expecting, then it's not a huge amount of cash you've wasted.

I use my raspberry PI with retropie and a usb NES controller... as most games are fine it just doesn't always work at full speed or sound isn't always perfect. But, there are others that are coming out that are more powerful and would work much better and still don't cost that much. Beagleboard for example is pretty sweet. But you still will never have Hyperspin with those.

The pi is a neat little piece of computing. I shrunk mine down and squeezed it in an NES cart. Like the post above said you will want to use retropi for the stuff you are looking to do. If you want a tiny intel board then check out the minnow board. It's 4.2" x 4.2". Amd has a small board as well. They won't run hyperspin,at least not well, but it would give you more options.

• 3 months later...

I know the subject is raspberry pi, but for gaming, it's just too under powered , besides, after power, sd card, and all the accessories , you spend close to 80 bux, for not much more on eBay , you can get a dual core dell or hp that will run HS at almost full specs, if course, I always add a cheap video card...

Yeah like others have said, it will not run Hyperspin. I have a Raspberry Pi as well, and I put mine into an old broken NES cartridge (Ghosts n Goblins). I use an NES controller with it, and Retro Pie is great for emulators, and it supports a lot of systems. I mainly just use mine for NES, Atari 2600, and Apple II. It's pretty underpowered, but it's meant to be used for hobbies. I really like how it's so small, and I can cram it into almost anything. If you're not familiar with Linux, it may take a while to set up. There's a ton of good guides online for it though.

If you're planning on putting it in an old game console (2600, colecovision, etc.), it will easily fit in the case, and it's not too hard to set up. You won't have HS, but Retro Pie isn't bad at all. I actually just bought a broken Atari 2600 (for $2) to put a Pi in (feels good to recycle!).

The Raspberry Pi is good for a simple build. This is one i built for my 2 year old nephew using retropie as a front end. Boots pretty quick since everything is on the SD card. Have been meaning to build a snes with one of these suckers in them using original controllers and original RCA out connectors / power supply.

http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/lawsons-arcade-machine/

32gb SD card running

Atari 2600

Nes

Snes

Gba

Playstation 1

Mame 0.139

SMS

Mega Drive / Genesis

PC Engine

The Raspberry Pi is good for a simple build. This is one i built for my 2 year old nephew using retropie as a front end. Boots pretty quick since everything is on the SD card. Have been meaning to build a snes with one of these suckers in them using original controllers and original RCA out connectors / power supply.

http://blog.petrockblock.com/forums/topic/lawsons-arcade-machine/

32gb SD card running

Atari 2600

Nes

Snes

Gba

Playstation 1

Mame 0.139

SMS

Mega Drive / Genesis

PC Engine

I liked it was a good read, nice work :)

Archived