Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

My MAME 0.172 HLSL settings

scoodidabop

These are pretty good settings, and a great baseline for tweaking.  thanks for sharing them.

Some little mods I did for my setup with 27" 1080p BENQ LCD and some notes:

distortion                   0.12 (adds a bit of CRT curve**, this parameter wasn't in original settings) 
round_corner              0.30 (slight increase to original setting to compensate for the screen distortion effect)

scanline_size             1.0 (YMMV but the OP's range provided is good to play with )

bloom_scale               0.125 (another YMMV setting, 0.5 was way too blurry like when my contact lens are in too long)

** The MAME Slider controls also have a setting for "Distortion (Cubic)" instead of just "Distortion" that I actually like better but as you may know, changes to the slider controls do not "stick" after you quit out and I'm not sure whats the correct parameter to add to the Raster.INI file, so I just used the regular Distortion

happy tweaking

K

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

These are pretty good settings, and a great baseline for tweaking.  thanks for sharing them.

Some little mods I did for my setup with 27" 1080p BENQ LCD and some notes:

distortion                   0.12 (adds a bit of CRT curve**, this parameter wasn't in original settings) 
round_corner              0.30 (slight increase to original setting to compensate for the screen distortion effect)

scanline_size             1.0 (YMMV but the OP's range provided is good to play with )

bloom_scale               0.125 (another YMMV setting, 0.5 was way too blurry like when my contact lens are in too long)

** The MAME Slider controls also have a setting for "Distortion (Cubic)" instead of just "Distortion" that I actually like better but as you may know, changes to the slider controls do not "stick" after you quit out and I'm not sure whats the correct parameter to add to the Raster.INI file, so I just used the regular Distortion

happy tweaking

K

Thanks for the tips!  Most of HLSL is YMMV of course so I'm glad to have some additional perspectives on my settings.  Your comments about bloom scale and contact lenses had me like  :lol:

I'll have to try that distortion thing out.  Didn't realize my .ini neglected to generate that setting.

Been out of town and haven't setup 174 yet. Any changes to the latest... and has anyone put up a MAMEUIFX no-nag version here yet?

As far as I know there are no changes to the ini files or the way that HLSL/GLSL work from 0.173 -> 0.174.

Been out of town and haven't setup 174 yet. Any changes to the latest... and has anyone put up a MAMEUIFX no-nag version here yet?

Haven't seen it.  Looking forward to the fixed bugs that .173 introduced

I used these with my old mame and it looks great! Every once in a while there is a line that goes through the screen on long scrolling scenes in games though.  Is this the banding stuff previous posts have mentioned?

Yeah, exactly.  Just change the scale of the scanlines and you can easily fix that problem.  It has to do with the resolution of the game and your monitor resolution aligning in a funny way.   Once adjusted the banding can be diminished or in most cases completely eliminated. 

As far as I know there are no changes to the ini files or the way that HLSL/GLSL work from 0.173 -> 0.174.

There are few changes to HLSL, but unfortunately they were overlooked when the whatsnew.txt was created, and I've missed to check it before the release. You can read about them here.

The last note about the shadow mask u/v size is quite important. And by the way a negative shadow mask x/y count does not make much sense. It works admittedly, but only mirrors the texture.

There are few changes to HLSL, but unfortunately they were overlooked when the whatsnew.txt was created, and I've missed to check it before the release. You can read about them here.

Thanks for the heads up Jezze.

Sent from my SM-G935V

The last note about the shadow mask u/v size is quite important. And by the way a negative shadow mask x/y count does not make much sense. It works admittedly, but only mirrors the texture.

Thanks for the response! I'll try and carve out some time to play around with it.

Thank you for your contributions, they're much appreciated.

I tried like 20 different values for scanline height and none of them got rid of the banding issue.  I've been testing with Punisher, which has a high score scroll in the beginning of the game, and you can really see it there. I'm running at 1080p if anyone has any ideas of a value for that resolution.

I tried like 20 different values for scanline height and none of them got rid of the banding issue.  I've been testing with Punisher, which has a high score scroll in the beginning of the game, and you can really see it there. I'm running at 1080p if anyone has any ideas of a value for that resolution.

Can't say I've ever seen that with any of my HLSL builds. Can you catch a screenshot of it?

Jezze can you check HLSL on a few games for me?

I noticed that several Midway games didn't display GLSL properly a couple MAME builds ago (this thread here: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/25857-glsl-weirdness/)

So I tried to run them with HLSL instead thinking that would fix them, but HLSL doesn't seem to work or display correctly with them either. I tried adjusting the HLSL settings to force it to look right, but had no luck.

Can you see what they are doing on your end?

Seems to mostly be certain Bally-Midway games in the '80 - '84 range.

Spy Hunter, Xenophobe, Rampage, Arch Rivals, Blasted, Discs of Tron, Max RPM etc... However I just noticed Aaaargh and some Namco System 22 games are doing it as well.

Got the hlsl settings running great on horizontal games after editing the scanlines, but is there a way so I can load a different raster.ini for vertical games because I have to use 80 to get no banding in vertical games.

I tried to create a vertical.ini file with your raster settings with a changed value to 80 but whenever i load a game it always returns to default of 114. (my edited setting)

Edit:Nevermind got it working, had to remove raster.ini and create a vertical and horizont.ini

Jezze can you check HLSL on a few games for me?

Can you see what they are doing on your end?

This issue should be fixed now. You can just replace the old post.fx with the new one.

The problem was, that if the screen output is less than twice of the source input, the dark and bright scanlines are merged together, so that you only see a darker image. The games you listed have a relatively large resolution of 480x480 which is only utilized by a few sprites, the most are rendered in a resolution half as large. Therefore you might want to halve the scanline_size too. (e.g. 0.5 instead of 1.0)

This issue should be fixed now. You can just replace the old post.fx with the new one.

The problem was, that if the screen output is less than twice of the source input, the dark and bright scanlines are merged together, so that you only see a darker image. The games you listed have a relatively large resolution of 480x480 which is only utilized by a few sprites, the most are rendered in a resolution half as large. Therefore you might want to halve the scanline_size too. (e.g. 0.5 instead of 1.0)

Interesting... thanks, Jezze!

Awesome news! I'll try it when I get home. Will this be fixed by default in the next release and does whoever handles GLSL also know it needs fixing?

Sent from my SM-G935V

Jezze that did the trick. Now I can fix those particular games... although the vertical ones like SpyHunter still don't look completely right, but still way better.

Thanks man! This has really been bugging me for several MAME releases. Hopefully they have it fixed for both HLSL and GLSL in the 175 release.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that your work is awesome. Your HLSL has improved drastically over the last several MAME releases. Your default Raster settings are great right out of the box now. Really dig the new Hum setting.

Thanks again.

The fix for HLSL and BGFX will be in the next offical MAME release. But the GLSL shaders are not part of the official MAME distribution, so I don't know who is gonna to fix them. I'm also not sure why the GLSL shaders are affected, because there were no changes to the renderer itself for a very long time.

Can you show me a screenshot (and settings) with the remaining problem in Spy Hunter? Please only with activated scanlines, no other effects.

Like I said you can also try to halve the scanline_size for these Midway games as they have a quite high resolution, which is not fully utilized by the graphics. Another thing you can try is to activate hlsl_oversampling, this can help to improve the appearance of very thin or curved scanlines.

The fix for HLSL and BGFX will be in the next offical MAME release. But the GLSL shaders are not part of the official MAME distribution, so I don't know who is gonna to fix them. I'm also not sure why the GLSL shaders are affected, because there were no changes to the renderer itself for a very long time.

Can you show me a screenshot (and settings) with the remaining problem in Spy Hunter? Please only with activated scanlines, no other effects.

Like I said you can also try to halve the scanline_size for these Midway games as they have a quite high resolution, which is not fully utilized by the graphics. Another thing you can try is to activate hlsl_oversampling, this can help to improve the appearance of very thin or curved scanlines.

The GLSL has been like that since way before 169 so maybe it's always been broken with those games?

I did halve the scanline size to 50. Without doing that they looked the same as they did before I updated it with your post.fx fix. I'll check out the oversampling too, I don't recall ever seeing that setting.

I'll post a pic of SpyHunter in a bit

Think I have spyhunter sorted out. I think I mostly just had the y_count set wrong since I switched to slot-mask. Switched to slot-mask-aligned, lessened the individual scanline height to 50 as well, Bloom Scale to .300 and made a few other tweaks and it looks much better. Good enough that I'm done messing with it... plus I'm now 2 hours late for work. Ha!

Now I can use these horizontal/vertical settings as templates for all the other games that have this issue, so should be good.

hlslpath                  hlsl
hlsl_enable               1
hlsl_oversampling         0
hlsl_write                
hlsl_snap_width           2048
hlsl_snap_height          1536
shadow_mask_tile_mode     0
shadow_mask_alpha         0.25
shadow_mask_texture       slot-mask-aligned.png
shadow_mask_x_count       12
shadow_mask_y_count       8
shadow_mask_usize         0.5
shadow_mask_vsize         0.5
shadow_mask_uoffset       0.0
shadow_mask_voffset       0.0
distortion                0.09
cubic_distortion          0.0
distort_corner            0.10
round_corner              0.10
smooth_border             0.01
reflection                0.0
vignetting                0.05
scanline_alpha            0.50
scanline_size             0.5
scanline_height           0.5
scanline_variation        1.5
scanline_bright_scale     2.0
scanline_bright_offset    0.10
scanline_jitter           0.08
hum_bar_alpha             0.03
defocus                   0.5,0.0
converge_x                0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y                0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x         0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 1.05,0.00,0.10
grn_ratio                 -0.10,1.00,0.25
blu_ratio                 -0.25,0.25,1.25
saturation                1.40
offset                    -0.30,-0.20,-0.05
scale                     1.15,1.05,0.90
power                     0.90,0.90,1.15
floor                     0.0,0.0,0.0
phosphor_life             0.25,0.25,0.25

post-58638-0-80891100-1465320255_thumb.png

Wow...thank you for the settings you posted!

I am building up HS for a bartop I am making and just tested them out...they look great for the games I tried.

If anyone has minor improvements etc in the future please post them in here! Thank you again!

Think I have spyhunter sorted out. I think I mostly just had the y_count set wrong since I switched to slot-mask. Switched to slot-mask-aligned, lessened the individual scanline height to 50 as well, Bloom Scale to .300 and made a few other tweaks and it looks much better. Good enough that I'm done messing with it... plus I'm now 2 hours late for work. Ha!

Now I can use these horizontal/vertical settings as templates for all the other games that have this issue, so should be good.

hlslpath                  hlsl
hlsl_enable               1
hlsl_oversampling         0
hlsl_write                
hlsl_snap_width           2048
hlsl_snap_height          1536
shadow_mask_tile_mode     0
shadow_mask_alpha         0.25
shadow_mask_texture       slot-mask-aligned.png
shadow_mask_x_count       12
shadow_mask_y_count       8
shadow_mask_usize         0.5
shadow_mask_vsize         0.5
shadow_mask_uoffset       0.0
shadow_mask_voffset       0.0
distortion                0.09
cubic_distortion          0.0
distort_corner            0.10
round_corner              0.10
smooth_border             0.01
reflection                0.0
vignetting                0.05
scanline_alpha            0.50
scanline_size             0.5
scanline_height           0.5
scanline_variation        1.5
scanline_bright_scale     2.0
scanline_bright_offset    0.10
scanline_jitter           0.08
hum_bar_alpha             0.03
defocus                   0.5,0.0
converge_x                0.0,0.0,0.0
converge_y                0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x         0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 1.05,0.00,0.10
grn_ratio                 -0.10,1.00,0.25
blu_ratio                 -0.25,0.25,1.25
saturation                1.40
offset                    -0.30,-0.20,-0.05
scale                     1.15,1.05,0.90
power                     0.90,0.90,1.15
floor                     0.0,0.0,0.0
phosphor_life             0.25,0.25,0.25

attachicon.gifspyhunt.png

Wow you really changed quite a few settings... that must have been a lot of work.

Actually not really. I based this off Jezze's raster. Ini settings which are really good stock. I just added the file he linked that fixes the HLSL glitch and tweaked the scanning settings like he said.

The rest was minor tweaking really.

Sent from my SM-G935V

Archived