Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Recommended fan size for cabinet

ninja2bceen

corsair af120 is a solid choice.if you are looking for quiet look for slim fins.

as for an out take fan. its redundant imo, just leave a passive exhaust it will reduce the amount of dust in your cab provided you put dust filters on the intake.

if you still  want an exhaust fan just make sure you have a stronger fan on the intake to make sure you keep a high pressure in the cab and will not suck air from cracks that can lead to a dust build up.

I have 2 x 120mm nectua fans. These are prety silent which is what you want. The blow air directly onto the intake fan on the cpu. You can have a look at it on my vewlix build video on youtube via my cabinet thread in my signature link.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I have 2 x 120mm nectua fans. These are prety silent which is what you want. The blow air directly onto the intake fan on the cpu. You can have a look at it on my vewlix build video on youtube via my cabinet thread in my signature link.

CPU fans can be either exhaust or intake depending on the arrangement within the machine.  I very much prefer exhaust fans for CPU heatsinks as they move air away from the CPU, not back towards it.

The key though with computer cooling, is air flow.  Because in fact you're never really 'cooling' anything, you nearly always just move the hot air from the inside of the case, to the outside.  Computers get hot, that's a given - the idea is to make sure they don't get too hot.

Whatever is choose just make sure the airflow is good - draw air in one side of the machine, and blow it out of the other.

(Edited for clarity)

I just looked at the video from major spawn, very impressed.

My cabinet isn't nearly as impressive. I literally have a pc sitting in the cabinet in its case and all.

I have an old xp computer in here which I'll probably update soon but it gets mighty hot in here. Here are some pics.

Inside the cabinet, bottom right I'm going to remove the power supply since I have all this on a smart strip. I'm then going to add a intake fan of that is smart in the bottom right to replace the power supply since it's redundant

Just make sure you have an exhaust out of the machine as well.  Key is always to move heat away, not to just bring cool air in.

As long as all the fans push the air in 1 direction. I have it flowing inside from 2 x 120mm fans through the cpu. The air then rises and escapes via the cut vents in the mid section of the back of my cab. I never had any heat issues. Mind you i have another 2 x 120mm nectuas on each side of my cpu fan. So i really have 4 silent fans moving the air inside.

Just my two cents but I would decase that computer. A box inside another box is not going to be good for airflow. The first one I did I didn't decase it but did all the others and they run a lot cooler. Only downside is the graphics card if you have one and how to keep it in place once you decase it!! I just kept the backside in place so I could still screw down the card.

Would you still get an intake fan? Do you think I need to add obscure vents at the top?

I've never decased a computer. It's a rather old xp computer. Would taking the side panel off be good or is it one of those things where I have to guy it al and screw things down on the wood? Is there something that would would screw it too or just straight in the wood

if you have a graphic card you gonna need something to support it. some cases are attached with rivets.

so yo can take the motherboard tray out and use it for support. if your case is welded then you need to cut the tray out .  

this is how the mobo tray looks out of the case:

mobo_sliders1.jpg

if its connected with rivets its really easy to pull out. you just drill the rivets. 

you can also connect the motherboard straight to the wood wit the standoffs.

you can use m3 threaded inserts if the standoffs doesn't grab the wood.

but again your graphic card need support so the tray is a good option.

another option is to use a pcie extender so u can lay down the graphics card:

1PC-NEW-font-b-PCIe-b-font-Express-font-

the PSU and HDD can just lay there i wouldn't worry about it unless your OCD.  

For fans, larger is usually quieter and pull/pushes more air. More intake than outflow for dust control. Heat rises, so outflow at the top, but consistent airflow is the key.

If it were me, I would at least pull the side(s) of the computer case off. If you wanted more work, decasing the case frame is an option as madhatter and haimbilia says. And if you wanted to spend money, for myself I researched mobo trays, open air cases and even bitcoin rigs. But I wanted a certain look, so I settled for this wip- Core P5. Open air case with plexi that bolts to the large standoffs to the front. Going in the bottom of a cab with Governor style zombie heads in a jar. Like a zombie powered arcade cab. Sorry about the clutter. I tend to destruct as I construct.

FU3LUvL.jpg

Archived