Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

The "restoration" of a Jaleco Pony 28" Candy Cab

antros

Really Great! question, how come you didnt stick with the original monitor? you can get a newer ati card, load CRT Emudrivers http://mame.3feetunder.com/windows-ati-crt-emudriver/

just google around for the correct vid card, and you can drop the lcd, just my 2c, I've built SEVERAL machines, and the original monitors always win :)

dont get me wrong, the LCD 's are easy to setup, are light to handle and look ok, but nothing beats the originality of the original pixels and resolutions in the CRT's

by the way, the vga to cga card you were trying out sucks, I have 2 of them, big mistake on my part, they lag terribly, Im sure you experienced that. That's why I went with the arcadeVGA 5000, but now I know better, and next time i will buy a more powerful ATI card and load custom drivers

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Really Great! question, how come you didnt stick with the original monitor? you can get a newer ati card, load CRT Emudrivers http://mame.3feetunder.com/windows-ati-crt-emudriver/

just google around for the correct vid card, and you can drop the lcd, just my 2c, I've built SEVERAL machines, and the original monitors always win :)

dont get me wrong, the LCD 's are easy to setup, are light to handle and look ok, but nothing beats the originality of the original pixels and resolutions in the CRT's

by the way, the vga to cga card you were trying out sucks, I have 2 of them, big mistake on my part, they lag terribly, Im sure you experienced that. That's why I went with the arcadeVGA 5000, but now I know better, and next time i will buy a more powerful ATI card and load custom drivers

Thanks for your comments.

The original CRT had various problems thats why I decided to go with the 27"Led solution. Since its my first project I thought : what the heck. The cga vga converter had no lugs until now. I plan to route my 3rd graphics card output through the converter to a 4:3 50" back projection SONY TV that I have in the play room. I still have some plans going on in my head

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest troutbag

Wow,

just wow is all I can say.

Why didnt you just build your own instead of destroying a nice original cabinet?

You should be ashamed of yourself,you turned gold into a turd.

btw your a laughing stock in the arcade community

Wow,

just wow is all I can say.

Why didnt you just build your own instead of destroying a nice original cabinet?

You should be ashamed of yourself,you turned gold into a turd.

btw your a laughing stock in the arcade community

I have to say, I kinda agree with this post.

I am not, not for one instant, saying that you haven't worked damn hard on this cabinet and that you haven't built the perfect cabinet for you.

But....

The original cab was beautiful, sure it needed cleaning and refurbishing but, with a bit of TLC, maybe a chassis repair on the monitor and some tidying up it would have been an excellent example of a Pony cab and worth, well, quite a bit.

Instead you took it and rendered it almost unrecognisable and replaced the superior CRT with, disappointingly, an LCD, never a good compromise to make.

In fact, I would argue the only thing you might have added to the machine that wasn't pre-existing would have been a new CP, perhaps a 4/6 button for each player.

A digital marquee could have been integrated into the existing casing somehow as well.

Now, I am not here to "shit" on your work.

I am just saddened by the cabs transformation.

These cabs, especially good, well restored examples are beautiful and great to play on.

All the work you have put in could have been put to better use on a custom cab made from scratch, an easy thing for a person with your obvious skill.

Ah well.

From a proud AWSD owner.

edit: I have been a member for a few years, so I could access all the wonderful Hyperspin resources for the PC powering my cab.

I have only posted now as, well, I've never been moved to do so until now.

For all the members out there judging my work I only have to say that is my 1st try and I am really proud of the work and effort I put into it. It was a badly beaten cab very rusty cab which I bought to transform. I can only thank all the people in this forums that helped me and inspired me to complete it. Classic or pimped, CRT or LED, 3 buttons or 8, Blue or Red, who really cares? I loved the hard work and hours I put into it and I am sure the kids will have a taste of my childhood when its finished.

PS. I never used power tools before and I never restored anything before. I did not payed anyone for any work on this. I did everything on my own. Thanks everyone again.

Ignore the trolls, antros. The colour you've chosen is a bit bold for my tastes, but the original cabinet was ugly and fit for the scrapheap and I can't imagine why anyone would begrudge you giving it a new lease of life.

Ignore the trolls, antros. The colour you've chosen is a bit bold for my tastes, but the original cabinet was ugly and fit for the scrapheap and I can't imagine why anyone would begrudge you giving it a new lease of life.

Trolls?

I'm hardly that.

And posting on a public forum is opening oneself up for discussion and debate, not just the kind of slaps on the back you might expect.

Now, I appreciate all the hard work you have put into the cab but I really don't like it and feel it would have been far better to have restored it instead.

The alternative would have been to build from scratch.

I'm repeating myself now, all this was said in my previous post as it seems that unless you are being nothing but blindly impressed with the cabinet you are lazily labelled a troll.

Ffs.

Anyway.

Once again fair play to you for having the tenacity to complete your project.

And I hope it will spur you on to even greater things in the future.

Sorry for calling you a troll, but both you and troutbag used your first ever post to criticise, so not really a great way to introduce yourself to this forum. Onwards and upwards, eh?

Believe me, I'm not blindly impressed by this. I've never seen this style of cabinet before and don't really like it that much. Perhaps it has a real nostalgic quality for anyone who used to play on one as a child, but I would certainly not mourn its loss as much as a classic wooden cabinet from the 80s. I can appreciate that Antros has worked hard and turned it into something he is rightly proud of, even though it may not be my cup of tea, while I have failed so far to build anything at all.

Now let us act like gentlemen and agree to disagree.

S

Now let us act like gentlemen and agree to disagree.

Pretty sure thats what Ciderman was trying to do!

On the cab, well done on it antros, really great example of skill and craftmanship but..

I really wish you had done it to a generic jamma cab or something that wasnt a Pony II. Really is a pity to see a cab that is worth quite a bit of money and sought after by a lot of the arcade community to be changed like that

I'd like to show everyone here, regardless of tastes, this restoration [url="http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&The best comparison I could think of for this project would be like having a vintage rolls royce restored by Pimp My Ride.

Another new poster here (saw this thread on another forum and couldn't help but reply!)

Some people are interested in the history, collecting and restoration of Japanese arcade machines. There were a whole host of different types made over the years (earlier ones tend to be full metal, like this one) - the older and further you go back, the rarer and harder to find they can be.

Unfortunately because they're not dedicated cabinets (like their woody American and European counterparts) some folks don't think they're really valuable at all and can be used for projects without thought. Unfortunately (and definitely when it comes to a Jaleco Pony II 28) - that's far from the case. To give you a monetary standpoint, I've a Pony III 25 (bit smaller and slightly more desirable cabinet) and in refurbished state, after postage, it cost $1600.

The only way I can really put this into perspective from a Japanese cabinet enthusiast's standpoint is if I got my hands on a Tron/Donkey Kong/PacMan cabinet, completely stripped it back to it's bare wood, resprayed it red and popped an LCD in. I'm fairly sure people would be upset!

Again, as the above posters have said, not to detract from the OPs work (as I can clearly see he has skills!) but it's just a shame such a collectible cabinet couldn't have been restored to it's original glory. In this hobby of ours, the more that can be restored for posterity's sake the better. Far too many cabinets have been destroyed over the years as is. It's sad.

For all the members out there judging my work I only have to say that is my 1st try and I am really proud of the work and effort I put into it. It was a badly beaten cab very rusty cab which I bought to transform. I can only thank all the people in this forums that helped me and inspired me to complete it. Classic or pimped, CRT or LED, 3 buttons or 8, Blue or Red, who really cares? I loved the hard work and hours I put into it and I am sure the kids will have a taste of my childhood when its finished.

PS. I never used power tools before and I never restored anything before. I did not payed anyone for any work on this. I did everything on my own. Thanks everyone again.

You did a great job man!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived