Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperspin set up.

Centurion1a

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I guess I will start from the beginning. A few
months ago, I purchased a 5TB Hyperspin drive off Ebay; the gentleman installed it for
me, and everything worked fine, that was until a few days ago, it now only partly
operates. When I say, "partially operates" I mean, it works but without the front end (I
think that is what one calls it). Being new to this kind of thing, I foolishly installed
backup files that came with the Hyperspin drive. I didn't overwrite the folder structure,
i.e., database, arcade, media, setting and things that normally appear in the Hyperspin
directory.  
     I have been trying to fix the problem myself by following a gentleman on YouTube
called "Simply Austin," and I managed to set up Hyperspin in conjunction with
RockeLauncher. This was accomplished by using the following files, Hyperspin 1.3.3,
Hyperspin 1.4 upgrades, Rocket Launcher and Rocket Launcher Media. I followed
along and managed to get everything working. This had to be done on my laptop
because when I tried to do the same thing on one of my spare hard drives on my PC,
Bitdefender kept deleting the Hyperspin exe. My laptop doesn't have any virus, software
installed, which made it easy to follow along with the tutorial. I installed the Hyperspin
and Rocket Launcher system on my external 2TB hard drive. 

Could I do the same thing and install Hyperspin and Rocket Launcher on my 5TB
Hyperspin Drive? Like I say, none of the files on the drive were deleted or altered in any
way. I have provided an image called "Hyperspin 5TB drive file structure." When I
installed the Hyperspin and RocketLauncher following Simply Austin's tutorial, once it
was up and running, I rared the system using Winrar because I didn't want to do that all
over again. So I have a working Hyperspin system that just needs to be unpacked to my
5TB Hyperspin Drive if that is possible. I also managed to disable Bitdefender and my
Internet connection. Any more images or questions, please contact me. 

Hyperspin 5TB drive file structure.jpg

Interesting.  Bold move.  Buying drives is really frowned upon here BUT it is of little consequence to me. 

First of all, I would highly recommend you ignore Austin as his stuff is very dated.  Instead I would tell you that you need to be watching Avar's videos found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoCK8xs1ao8&list=PLKkoYR3SrcmcOrfryNXamq2za8Q4S0Nii 

Secondly, with the drive.  The reason it is frowned upon is that when you have problems, and you will have problems, you will have no idea how to fix it.  I am glad that you have taken the time to learn to use the software correctly.  What you are wanting to do is not really possible as overwriting the settings will cause more problems than it will solve.  What you could do though is use the media and romsets on the drive in tandem with your newly setup HyperSpin.  This could be a solution.  This would allow you to setup your own HyperSpin and not have to track down all that other stuff.

In essence the hardest things about HyperSpin are already there.  Databases that match romsets and media (hopefully) is the biggest problem with HyperSpin; the software currently cannot figure out what should go with what.  So if you configure HyperSpin on that 5tb drive that you have in a separate directory from that setup, you can just move the databases, media, and roms to that folder, point rocketlauncher to the correct rom folder and you should be good to go.

That being said, I fix these internet drives for people all of the time (something to be said about someone that will take the time I guess).  Based on what I know about the crap that they use, it looks like your directory is messed up.  What is in your ARCADE folder?

Hello Adamg,

Firstly, thank you very much for replying to my message. Looking in the Arcade section, there are rom images for every conceivable machine imaginable. Yes, I made a terrible mistake when buying the Hyperspin drive off Ebay; I imagined it running without any foreseeable problems, but as things turned out that wasn't to be. However, having said that, I would have had to search for the games, and that would have taken months, so in that respect, it was a good buy.  Thank you for the link you provided, I am in the process of downloading them.  The Austin videos were very good; I did manage to get Hyperspin up and running; it is just a matter of pointing it to my 5TB Hyperspin drive. I have tried on numerous occasions to contact the gentleman who I bought the drive off, but he as never replied to my email, so I have given up. In the database are emulators with the xml extension. 

Kindest regards,

Donald.

Arcade folder.jpg

Mame roms.jpg

Interesting.  Can you file a complaint with Ebay?  Or feedback?

Anyway, ok I see how the drive is setup now.  That is what I needed to know.

D:/ is the drive letter and everything is installed directly to that directory.  Very interesting.  What I would do is create a directory in D:/ called HyperSpin and copy the setup that you did into that.  Copy the databases, media and arcade folder into the newly created HyperSpin folder, then set it up yourself.  Takes some time but at least you would know it works.

And yeah I agree, not a complete loss as the time taken for the roms is crazy.

Hello Adamg,

I didn't think it right to open a dispute against the gentleman; I thought because I purchased the drive off him; he would more than willing to help me, but like I say he wasn't interested. I will do what you suggest. What do the Database, Media, Arcade, Modules and Profiles folder do?  It appears the roms go into the Arcade folder under the relevant game console. 

Yes, it would have taken me months to download the games, more so because I don't have a very good connection at the moment. 

Kindest regards,

Donald.

To each their own I guess.

Databases are used by Hyperspin to populate list of games.  This is seen by the games that are found in the different wheels.  Since the drive already has romsets, might as well keep the databases.  The media has all of the pictures and movies to be used by hyperspin to make it look cool.  Arcade seems to be where the games are located.  Modules is for HyperLaunch but if you are using rocketlauncher then you will not need them.  Profiles I have no idea about.

You really should watch those Avar videos I linked.

Hello Adamg,

Thank you for that information regarding the folders. Although the Austin videos were informative, he did tend to go on a bit; I think they went on for an hour or more. The link you kindly gave me to the other Youtube videos were much better, straight forward and no-nonsense  video that only lasted a few minutes, and the first part getting Hyperspin and Rocketlauncher up and running. I am at the point of adding the emulators and rom images. I thought I would do it all again, just for the fun of it - ha ha. Anyway, I would just like to thank you for the kind help you gave me; I think I would be still struggling if you hadn't given me the link to the more up-to-date  videos. I will keep you informed of my progress.

Kindest regards,

Donald.

Archived