Vinyl advice. Can't get it to stay on...

rascaluk

Looking for advice guys. Been building my first bartop.

It's mdf and I painted it with a gloss mdf paint.

I have a friend who owns a print shop and he printed me some art I designed on adhesive vinyl and it looks awesome.

I applied it carefully squeezing the air out as I went but now find it's peeling off from the corners.

It's still as sticky as it was it just won't form a decent bond all over.

I'm after advice to get it to stay on really. Are there any adhesives that would work without ruining it.

I'm sure it's me and not the vinyl, has anybody else found anything similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

have you tried a fine coating of super glue? - apply to the gap between the raised vinyl and the mdf with a cocktail stick or similar, then clamp it together for a couple of minutes.

that is the method i have used for the base of my cab where its started to peel off ever so slightly. first i would check if the vinyl reacts to the super glue, you can test on any scrap offcuts left over

Gloss mdf paint? I used an all purpose primer on mine..flattened the surface smooth with some sandpaper and then applied vinyl. That did the trick for me.

Maybe try flattening the surface with some sandpaper to give the surface a key for vinyl to stick to. Make sure the surface is smooth and even..remove any dust/debris with tack cloth or similar so that the surface is clean and then go ahead and re-apply the vinyl.

Superglue sorted it out instantly. Thanks guys. Cost me £1 for eight tubes!

You could have got it from the 99p shop and saved a penny. Never thought of using superglue for this. I know what I will be doing this afternoon :)

;)

Just try it on a scarp first. Mine was fine and sticks pretty much instantly. Didn't use clamps or anything.

Smoothed it over with a costa coffee card ;). Watch for seepage though....

Archived