Looking for some input on a monitor.

fecty

Ok So i have an old Mortal Kombat Cabinet, the 25" WG K7401 in it is making a ticking sound. I really do not have the knowledge to fix it and have never soldered anything in my life. I do have a new cap kit for it, i had to have a $15 minimum when i bought a molex connector so i picked cap kit up to. Should i try and find someone to do fix it? I was just going to replace it with a 24 inch ACER lcd, or shouold i go bigger like a 26? The 24 is brand new and free, i would have to buy the 26. Would the difference be noticeable? Would i be better of trying to find a 25 inch crt TV to put in it? i would like to find something none widescreen in a 25 inch.

Those who have wide screen lcds do you like them. do they look small compared to the larger crts that came in the cabinets? Any particular brand of monitor i should look for?

Thanks

I bought a replacement 26" Arcade LCD for my Guantlet Legends cab at Suzo Hap when my CRT died (mine was a single mode CGA CRT Neotec NT-1701). It was expensive however well worth the price. I just run everything at 1024x768 and it looks amazing. If you are planning on using a regular LCD you will probably be disappointed however I would test it out first. The CRT is probably worth fixing imho as they don't make them anymore and you can still sell it once fixed.

If the ticking is coming from the suction cup then it is the flyback. If it is on the chassis then it could be a cap or any number of things. A monitor unfortunately is not the place to learn to solder. They are dangerous. I would look to a professional to have it fixed if you go that route.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

A monitor unfortunately is not the place to learn to solder. They are dangerous. I would look to a professional to have it fixed if you go that route.

I disagree. As long as you discharge the monitor first, you shouldn't have a problem. This is actually exactly how I learned to solder. Just be careful and do proper research. Ask around, I'm sure you have a friend or a friend of a friend that knows how to solder. This is a great series:

http://www.arcaderepairtips.com/category/sections/monitors-screens/

Also, This website is very helpful: http://www.arcademonitor.com/

If you already have the cap kit, give it a go! Find someone that knows how to solder, invite them over and get it done! If you fail, then use one of your backup plans. That's what I'd do at least. But seriously, research what you are doing before you go tinkering with a monitor. Make sure you discharge that puppy!

As stated above DISCHARGE THE MONITOR before you even touch it. Otherwise there's a very very high risk of electric shock.... Soldering is not too hard to lean just go slow and take your time.

Archived