Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Nvidia tk1 developer board.. Nekkid barebones shield.

Jawbraeka

Here is the real McCoy for anyone wanting the tx1

https://m.newegg.com/products/N82E16813190006?Tpk=13-190-006

And for those wanting the ultimate performance boost.. 

Cue the heavenly choir.  

https://www.arrow.com/en/products/900-83310-0001-000/nvidia

Let the earth crack open underneath you.. The premium version of the tk1.. Possibly at a real bargain and maybe closer to the x1 and x2 as possible.. 

https://coloradoengineering.com/standard-products/3dr-a10-k1gpu/

I just hope 64gb onboard storage is an option.. 

I checked...the TK1 kit is £180 a 16GB Shield TV is £189.99. The TK1 is using Kepler not Maxwell so is inferior to the Shield TV, which also comes with a nice gamepad and remote as Rezz has stated. I'm not even going to check what the TX1 kit costs here in the UK as it's obviously going to be much more expensive. I really don't understand you using the tag "Shield on the cheap"...that's nonsense really.

I was hoping you might have learned a lesson from getting the Odroid. It's all well and good supposedly having more "POWER" by getting one device over another BUT it's irrelevant unless you can actually utilize it. That ultimately boils down to how well the device is supported, the RPI for example is well supported and is cheap but obviously has its limits. I'll give Nvidia credit as they have supported their Shield devices well, there are many developers who acknowledge it is the best set top box and work to make it better by developing apps for it. I'm very thankful to those guys and gals, I've had the Shield TV for almost two years now and it just gets better and better...I'm looking forward to the next version of Android and Google home integration.

As good as the Shield is...it is still limited in what it can do. You also need to understand there are differences between the Android and PC versions of Hyperspin. Bottom line, if you want the best arcade machine you build with PC components. Nvidia GPUs are preferred for emulation and the Shield TV is a nice "companion device" as it can "remote control" Nvidia GPU equipped machines via Gamestream.

It's your time and money to do with as you choose, I'd just like you to make the most of the investment. I honestly believe that doing a Hyperspin PC build will do you the most good. There's plenty to learn as you go and then you can work on "porting" some of that across to the Shield TV. The nice bonus of the Shield TV is that it is small enough to be "portable" and you can take it to friend's homes so they can see just some of the cool stuff you have at your disposal ;)

All the best with it.

True.. 

Thanks for your constructive criticism there.

Like I said.. It is on the cheap.. Who want it on the cheap.  I never said it would be simple, nor like the shield itself as in compact design.. ie, ghetto version or homebrew, If you will, because some people like it that way. But I will correct the title to state "nekkid diy shield"

I have even seen an engineering site offering modified versions with more ram on demand and better onboard storage (by request).. So an improvement over the original already. 

As for me getting the odriod.. I honestly was more of a newb at the time and yes it was a learning curve to say the least (I would have preferred the shield), but hearing android and not being aware it was nvidia aspired, and not an all rounder as presumed, well, has taught me that there are alternatives to hyperspin and I'm not honestly afraid of getting a little dirty in an OS. 

I MAY look into a futureproofed version of the shield TK1 (modified version) as I won't be using the machine for more than it's intended purpose, which will be an emulation desk, nothing more, nothing less.  Besides that, if hyperspin matures over time, in terms of coding, and decides to upgrade, there will always be the TX1 and TX2 kits, which most likely, will be compatible with a prior setup to the sheild OS. And so on. 

If the OS isn't compatible, time for an OS upgrade and more my directory structure (ROM folders and associated emulators) over to the newly laid turf that will become my new playing field. Plus I can add remote on off switch via remote control and PVR tuner (inbuilt) for recording local Australian content and there are cases available too.. Plus in all.. I can call it my own "ghetto shield" or whatever.. 

There is also an edu discount kit for every country to receive a hefty discount too.. 

On the nvidia website.. 

Australia.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/edu-discount-asia.html

US/Canada

http://www.nvidia.com/object/edu-discount.html

Just fill in details. Make up a student ID number.. 

Get invoice via email with special number.. 

It's about $200 off I believe. So not too shabby. 

If you want an "Emulation Desk", the guy who liked your post (Gigapig) has a Youtube channel (GigaGuides) you should really check it out. He might call it a cabinet but it really is an Arcade table in my eyes...an incredibly nice one too I might add! It's based on PC parts that are "old" but still pack a punch. I've helped build a few "Arcade tables" but we never implemented a 2nd screen as a marquee or bothered with the Arcade inspired controls. You really don't need a "Ninja PC" to make something awesome. I know PC parts can be dear down under, so maybe you could do something with 2nd hand parts perhaps?

As far as these Nvidia Dev kits go...you are walking into the same trap you fell into with the Odroid. You will NOT get the "Shield OS" (aka Android TV), there is NO official android build for those dev kits. There was an Android Lollipop project (if memory serves) for the TK1 (NOT the TX1/2) but that's old and I have no idea if it's still being worked on. (I'd guess not as they would surely move on to a more recent version of Android like Cyanogenmod did and now Lineage OS).

The Official OS is Linux (Ubuntu with Nvidia drivers), so you won't be using Hyperspin with that. It's my understanding that Reznnate ported HyperSpin to Android for his Shield TV, so he could use it for a new Arcade cabinet which was more friendly on his electric bill. He himself suggested you just get the Shield TV, I'd urge you to listen to him. As I said before, it's your time and money to spend as you see fit. You just seem to be making things overly difficult for yourself.

All the best with it.

Archived