The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Zippy Joysticks - any good?

Silverback

Hello fellow Hyperspinners!

Has anyone used Zippy Joysticks (LS32 clone) in their cab?

Thinking of building a cheap cab for someone and just wondered if anyone can give me a heads up if they are any good?

Cheers

That was my first stick, it had a good feel to it, quite loose, good for kids and probably fighting games.

It comes with a 2, 4 and 8 way restrictor plate which is good but also part of the reason I changed it. The plate is screwed on, so if you need to change from Street Fighter to Burger Time you need to unscrew the plate and move it. So I change to a stick with a switch.

Ive got 4 of them in my cab right now. they work great. im having an issue right now with one(possibly cause its mounted funky) but the pin thats holding the stick and spring assembly together is rubbing up against the 8 way plate and grinding super fine plastic dust into the actual joystick. its kinda hit or miss on whether it will work smoothly or be kinda gummy.

There is a guy on Ebay who is selling these and has said he removes 'excess moulding' from the actuator? Has anyone had a go at this process.

He is charging £8 per zippy stick (with £5.50 postage for 2). to buy the stick not the moulding removal...

I have also heard that the springs are quite loose and have a tendancy to move up when the stick is used in fighter games... can you tell me if this is true?

I was actually also thinking about swapping out my X-Arcade sticks for these....worth it do you think?

I purchased 2 of these from GGG recently for my new cab. I am very pleased for how well they work considering the price. I have tested mostly fighting games using the 8 way, but the joys do offer 4 way as well.

I bought one of these when paradise arcade was selling them with LEDs. I like how it feels, its size and that its easy to work with.

The only problem I had was breaking the e-clip. If you don't use the right tool to take them out... it breaks. I also converted the Zippy into a USB optical rotary joystick, to play caliber .50. You can read about it in my blog.

Archived