Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Xbox controller - exiting roms

FETTABUBA

Hi 

hoping someone can help

trying to solve an issue, where on certain emulators, Mame, Dolphin, I cant escape the rom using “back” on my Xbox controller

but works fine in Nestopia, fusion etc

any help would be greatly appreciated 

thanks 

Hi 

Thanks for coming back to me, unfortunately it didn't resolve the issue

I tried a few options, hold, press, double etc, I even tried it directly on MAME in RL - without using the Global setting

I checked in Hyperspin, and the button matches - 7?

Is there anywhere else I need to amend this setting?

There is usually more than one way to do stuff. By default, the mame exit key is "escape". So I just use a key mapper (joytokey) to map the escape button to my 360 pad.

Sent from my SM-A705W using Tapatalk

IMG_7390.thumb.jpg.c8a549cb0ce6a67e6cc1f81ecd39efb3.jpgIMG_7388.thumb.jpg.ba9d7aced0fbe19ae43b66f50e915f7a.jpgIMG_7391.thumb.jpg.931a2a07c754c8cd9b642e5473580527.jpgIMG_7385.thumb.jpg.be28e524789e20dda7261f91b9a20a9a.jpgIMG_7386.thumb.jpg.03f6ece28c227feb59037a25a6c9318b.jpg

Hi Spawk

As you can see from the screenshots, I think I have done everything, I have even rolled back the firmware fore the controllers, and changed JoyToKey to Xinput only

And I still cannot exit from a game - I am able to on the wheel though, and I have this issue across all emulators, 

IMG_7391.jpg

IMG_7390.jpg

IMG_7386 (1).jpg

IMG_7387 (1).jpg

IMG_7388 (1).jpg

What do you want? Exit the emulator, enabling you to continue browsing other games?
What does exiting the wheel mean? You want to exit the frontend?
Can you elaborate what you want to do with your controller?

NP, happy to

Just to note - this is my 2nd PC, and does not sit in my arcade cabinet, I want this one solely for "controller based" games,  so there is no iPac board plugged in

so......

Hyperspin starts - using Xbox One controller, can navigate the wheel - I choose a emulator,  (and back out to select another) navigate the wheel to the game I want to play, press start on the controller, game launches, all using the xbox controller

The only way I can exit that ROM, once is has loaded is to hit escape on the keyboard

whilst in the hyperspin wheel i can go in and out of any emulator - no issues, by pressing the backup/select button on the controller

but as soon as I launch into a ROM, I cannot get back out

As I mentioned on the previous post, if I map the L&R sticks (push down) I can get out of a ROM on MAME, but then can not go back to choose another emulator

so I'm stuck,  I want to be able to run this machine without having the keyboard plugged in

The way I see it, until I get the issue fixed in MAME, no point looking at the other emulators

Also, every emulator is set to "use_global" in RL,

if its easier, you can teamviewer into the machine?

2 hours ago, FETTABUBA said:

I want to be able to run this machine without having the keyboard plugged in

I don't think this is possible. You are emulating keystrokes with you controller!

You are kind of making the settings harder than they need be. Does your wheel not spin like crazy when you enable joypads in HQ? I usually tell people to disable them and use either joytokey or the startup script.

Since you have JTK, have a look HERE at the way I handle these things.

6 hours ago, FETTABUBA said:

IMG_7390.jpg

^^ this screen is just for inside HS wheel, it has nothing to do with while in emulators.

6 hours ago, FETTABUBA said:

IMG_7388 (1).jpg

^^ single press of the escape button here is the default how you exit emulators. Not sure what you did there with the button 7's

On joy to key, when I press the back button on the controller, button 7 flashes on the list - so I mapped it to that 

so button 7 is escape, but it doesn’t work

if I map it to 10 & 11 the L3 & R3, and do it as a single press, it will exit the ROM, but then button 7/back button doesn’t exit the MAME wheel, to select another emulator 

On JTK where? In what profile?

I'm not even sure you need JTK if you are mapping stuff directly in HQ and RL. Like I said earlier, there is more than one way of doing stuff and you seem to be doing more than you really need. Some consideration as to what is being controlled from where needs to be taken.

Maybe they have fixed the HQ joystick settings in later updates but the sensitivity use to send the wheel into spinning fits so I control HS wheel from JTK. If it works for you then good, you don't need JTK for that.

Exiting emulators from gamepad is another use for JTK, so since I have it set up already for navigation, I set it up for this as well and just leave the default exit emulator key as "escape". If you can map your exit emulator button directly to your gamepad, then you don't need it for this either.

Seems like you are trying to do both.

so would probably be best if I set up one profile for each system then, and then map the keyboard to the buttons on the joy pad, and then tweak in the emulator 

so have one for 

MAME

NES

SNES 

etc.

Can you possibly send me a picture of your AHK setup for what you have - just as an example

Yes I make profiles for every system even if they don't need one! This just ensures RL always has a profile to load.

AHK for what? I never had to mess with any of that.

Could I ask a favour and you just send me a copy of your JTK folder [emoji6]

It's all there in the thread I linked. JTK itself has only 2 profiles. ALL other profiles are made within RL.

2 hours ago, FETTABUBA said:

just found this on Hyperspin

gonna go with this, and see what happens

I believe these are just pre-made RL profiles (same thing as adding them the way I mention in that thread).

I also don't like loading of JTK through HQ. It seems to cause "focus" issues in some circumstances where the emu loads behind HS, or after quitting an Emu you cannot move the wheel because HS doesn't have focus so you need to mouse click to become responsive. Maybe that's why the upper is using a joytokeykill.bat? Not sure but JTK doesn't ever really need to quit. It is a super small program that uses very little resources so it can just stay minimized to tray at all times. That's why I recommend putting a shortcut to JTK in the windows startup folder.

Other things to mention are that he has only 1 controller mapped (fine if you only want player 1 to be able to exit emus). Also he may use different emulators than you so some editing/moving may be needed anyway. I am not trying to "knock" his share! If you agree with all his choices and it works for you, that's great! I just feel it's better to make and implement all these choices yourself so you have a better understanding of how to make any changes/adds you may need in the future. 

Do keep me informed of how you make out.

The more I look at that, the more I don't like it. LOL. I notice this as well:

213677421_RL-ownfolder.thumb.PNG.3458f365acb8ddf5938955b8a956cf03.PNG

Not that it's necessarily wrong, but if you are like me and believe RL should be in it's own folder not in the HS directory:

C:\Hyperspin

C:\RocketLauncher

then I would have to edit every single one of his profiles to fix the path anyway.

Considering that 90% of these profiles are just used to exit the emulator:

jtk-07-RL-system-profiles.thumb.PNG.3d87272f1599d34d6522b6d92103f343.PNG

I just don't understand the need to try and get any easier. That is my actual profile! Click the plus sign choose your exit (escape) key, click close, on to next system.

You may want to add a "p" in there somewhere for RL's pause feature. Or a "numpad -" to bring up RL's "Disc swap" feature on systems that have it, but that's it! All in game controls should be mapped directly to your gamepad from within the emulators themselves.

Archived