Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Hyperpin no longer works with the last Nvidia Shield Update

fred33

Unfortunately, @reznnate, I downloaded the .apk you provided for my Shield Pro (11), and couldn't even get it to launch. I have a Samsung USB attached as "device storage" (internal) and created a Hyperspin folder at the root level. When I launch the installer, it completes everything and asks for permission to access files (which I give). Then, I launch it, a blank screen appears, and the app just quits. I've tried restarting, uninstalling, etc., and haven't had any luck. Any suggestions?

Difference between old emulators version for android 9 and new emulators version for android 11 is when you want add roms path for example, an screen with the new android 11 system file was opened and the user must choose a folder then the user must accept the authotisations on the folder.

I think hyperspin must do the same as all standalone emulators

- user launch hyperspin

- if their is no path defined in a config file, this would open the box with the new android 11 system file for user can choose an hyperspin folder then accept the authorisation on this folder

- when the folder was choosen, write the defined path to an config file (call at each hyperspin launch)

- if a path was defined in the config file so just launch hyperspin 

Best regard

Thank you for the reply, @moondefer. Unfortunately, Hyperspin crashes (or simply fails to launch) before presenting any folder path options. It did give me the permissions question right after install, to which I said “allow,” but then the screen goes dark and the app quits. 

To date, all I have done is loaded the .apk into my downloads folder (from this thread on to a PC, then moved to the Shield via my local network), created a “Hyperspin” folder at the root level (Shield—>Internal—>Hyperspin… since I’m using internal/extended storage, not external), and then launched the install from my downloads folder. I’m in developer mode, btw. 

If anyone sees anything wrong in what I’m doing, please let me know!

Sorry my last post was for give an idea to reznnate

reznnate must do this modification to hyperspin if we want an working hyperspin

Authorisation only to app was the old method used for android 9

For android 11 Authorisation,  hyperspin need authorisations to app, reznnate do it with this new apk, but need too an authorisation by an user action on the folder,it is necessary, this action was made with a dialog box in the new android 11 system file where you scroll file like with a mouse, and after the folder choice, a dialog box for authorisation was open, it is here than the user give the authorisation on the folder. without this their is no authorisation on the hyperspin folder.

Android 11 need this 2 step and reznnate do only 1 of this because it's the old android 9 method, it's only what i think after reading many articles on android 11.

• Like 1

Ah, gotcha @moondefer... I went back and it sounds like you ran into the same errors I did. I'm curious how folks like @rambo32 and @CHIPPOSHIVA appear to have some success launching, while at least a few of us (including @bryan02) appear to be running into the some issue with it not launching and/or not finding the HS folder. Sounds like an Android 11 thing... I'm guessing some of us are on different builds?

Back to you, @reznnate😁

Perhaps we should said what shield version and build version and folder we used

my shield is 2017 model

I'm with the last build 9.1 out since 3 days

my hyperspin folder is share on a Synology NAS with "sdcard1" as NAS alias in the smb config as bryan02

i use folder storage/sdcard1/Hyperspin, before on android 9 all works perfectly, i have try sdcard0 with no success

Good idea... I'm on a brand-new, just arrived Shield TV Pro with a Samsung, USB 3.1 256GB (400MB/s) flash drive formatted as internal "adoptable" storage. So, it seems my flash drive as pretty much the same as internal storage.

I attempted to let Hyperspin install wherever it wanted... I just opened it from my "downloads" folder, and then also tried to open and install it from a Hyperspin folder (on the root of my shared storage: Shield-->Internal-->Hyperspin). In both cases, it would open, install, ask for permissions (which I granted) and then it would go to a black screen and crash. I also granted permissions in the app itself, and am in developer mode and checked that it could install from unknown sources, but neither made a difference. 

Technical details:

• Model P2897
  • Version 11
  • Security Patch Level 4/5/22
  • Android TV SW Version: 9.1.0 (33.2.0.125)

Let me know if there's any other info you might need, @reznnate!

like @rambo32 and @CHIPPOSHIVA appear to have some success launching

Yes i don't understand how it is possible ?

If they can give us more infos for help other, where is their Hyperspin folder ? on a nas ? an usb ? what path folder they use ? android tv version ? android version ? ...

Thanks for the community help and thanks to reznnate

• Like 1

yep, last shield pro, hyperspin folder on a usb named hyperspin 2to

I've done a hard reset on last 9.1 nvidia firmware berfore installing last apk

The USB is plugged on the second usb after hdmi,

I've got an additionnal ssd plugged on the first usb and formated to be internal space but no hyperspin here.

i remember i've seen a post where hyperspin search and the order of search

I've only been using external USB drives for testing external storage.  It is possible YET ANOTHER regression happened with NAS drives and 9.x firmware.    I'll look into it...   

@pmindemann do you have your data folder setup?   This hyperspin .apk is only a player.   It doesn't offer auto-download of media, themes, etc.   

Hey, all this is something I worked at for a while. It was not an easy process, but this was the most helpful video that resolved my concern. 

At one point I had to network connect to my Nvidia Shield to change my OBB settings in Android. The following videos were also helpful in assisting with the set up. 

Sorry I don't have more specific instructions, but hopefully this works for everyone. 

Thanks, @LexHeyden23, but unfortunately those tips from the videos are largely irrelevant, at least in my case...

• First video: the hotfix is outdated... I'm already on a software version that's more recent than the hotfix, and the link for the fix is dead, anyway, due to its age. 
  • Second video, I'm already remoting in via network (from my PC), so that's a moot point, but might be helpful for someone else. :)
  • Third video, I'm not using network storage, so I don't need to deal with firewalls, reg. edits, etc... everything is seen as a local drive (internal) and the need for permissions, etc. is irrelevant. 

Either way, appreciate the time you took to post those, and for shooting out some ideas!

• Like 1

WE HAVE LIFTOFF! 

Ok, despite having done a fair number of Hyperspin builds in the past, I'll admit this is the first time I've done it on Android, and some basic things really threw me. But the MOST basic of all is that you have to have the Android Base Pack installed FIRST! Simply creating folders isn't enough... Hyperspin wanted all of the assets and ini files, which makes sense, in retrospect. So, for me, here's what that looked like when I was done (I'm looking at my Shield through the network connection on my PC... I placed the Hyperspin apk in the Hyperspin folder and installed it from there, but I'm not sure if that matters or not): 

Picture1.thumb.png.9bc9370c4ecb7ae0537e90b8b0e06f20.png

The part that got me off track is that the instructions on this page said, "But First..." and then it proceeded to talk about where to create folders, getting a file explorer, and eventually launching the app. Some of this (in my mind) should have predeed the Base Pack instructions, since it looks like it's telling you to do all of this setup before you get the Base Pack, when in reality, that's part of the Base Pack guide. Anyway, it may have just been my reading of it, but it threw me. 

So, I immediately attempted to point the ini files to my existing ROMs in Mame4Droid, and it failed to launch any of them or even index them correctly (lol). Clearly I'm doing some things wrong there, and I'll try to read up more and figure it out... it sure it's nearly as easy as something like ArcBrowser, I'm a glutten for punishment. 

For now, I'm just glad it launches, and hopefully this will help you too, @moondefer!

I connected my NAS today and confirmed the new Google/Shield OS version broke the ability for Hyperspin to scan the /storage folder for new paths and hyperspin folders.   The fix for USB was to scan device IDs and then build the search path from that.   The fix for NAS storage will involve adding the ability to specify the path directly in settings.ini.

• Like 1

thank you so much to fix these bugs and keep alive the frontend.

Since you are working again on it, Maybe, you may could add in the future some new features like "favorites" ?

it would be wonderful to have an android hyperspin as complete as pc version. thanks

@reznnate - Thanks for your work and help

If i can help you for NAS fix ask me.

Finally perhaps than my idea in precedent post was not a bad idea.

- user launch hyperspin

- if their is no path defined in a config file, this would open the box with the new android 11 system file for user can choose an hyperspin folder then accept the authorisation on this folder

- when the folder was choosen, write the defined path to an config file (call at each hyperspin launch)

- if a path was defined in the config file so hyperspin just launch

Perhaps NAS has a sort of ID ?

I found this in my standalone dolphinemu config file working with android 11

[General]
ISOPaths = 2
RecursiveISOPaths = True
ISOPath0 = content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FNintendo%20Wii
ISOPath1 = content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FNintendo%20GameCube

And I found this in my standalone epsxe config file working with android 11

content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FSony%20Playstation/document/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FSony%20Playstation
content://com.android.externalstorage.documents/tree/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FSony%20Playstation/document/cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921%3AGames%2FSony%20Playstation%2FJeux%20hors%20database

So i think my nas = cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921

but cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921 = what ? an UUID ? not an UUID ?

This config files was wrote after add folder roms in this 2 app with the new android 11 system file (scoped storage)

And i can said than cb3946db-373a-b17a-890f-33f65d362921 = storage/SDCARD1/Hyperspin = network share on my shield

Love it! Just ran the new .apk and it installs fine. I think I got my rom path issue sorted, too.

All that said, when I try to actually get MAME4droid to open through Hyperspin, I get an error:

IMG_2504.thumb.jpg.661d944b17ac4bacb57e43a7c59cb1d7.jpg

Now, I used the exe that was already in the MAME.ini file from the official Hyperspin Android Base Pack (which is the same as what's shown here for MAME: 

image.thumb.png.c8ec254e114ab7348733407fa8c6bb85.png

Any ideas what might be causing MAME to return that error, @reznnate

Weird! I’m using MAME4droid, but I’m guessing it’s the same issue as yours, @reznnate.

Even if I get nothing else working, MAME (arcade) is the one emulator I always run with Hyperspin, so it would be a deal-breaker if we can’t get it going. Let me know if/how I can help!