The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Cabinet PC Backup strategy

JaronSenna

Hi All,

I have been away from Hyperspin en HyperPin for a while. Sold the pincab to make room for another "project" (baby on the way), but kept my arcade cabinet. However, I am going to reinstall everything from scratch, because in 2011, when I built the thing, I was running on WinXP and kept running into issues with different emulators, etc etc. So, now I am thinking about installing win7 and possibly giving the PC an upgrade.

However, I have a question regarding backing up the machine once it is running, what would be a better setup with backup/restore in mind:

1 large disc to store everything (OS, roms, artwork, all software) to create a drive that's easy to backup

or

1 HDD for storing roms and 1 SSD for everything else (I have a 100GB SSD lying around, would that be enough?), have a speedier machine, but a more difficult backup/restore?

Jaron

Both are just as good. I think you could use the SSD for all the HS files, emulators and art. Keep the Vids and the Roms on the HDD. I did notice a dif when I switched to a SSD. Maybe not enough to warrant the price, but it was much smoother for the transitions etc.

I have 8tb of roms all backed up on separate drives and have a 256gb ssd for the hyperspin files and movies backed up on the drives as well. I wrote a program that just transfers what I have changed to my backup raid server in the basement.

Thanks for the tips, I guess the solution will have to be SSD+HDD (or multiple). I currently have a 2Tb in my cab, but I guess I will have to expand because I currently do not have any of the more "recent" consoles, which have DVD based games... But the backup solution will start to be expensive if I have to backup 4 to 8tb. And before you know it, a "budget build" leads to a revamp of home network :-)

Archived