Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

iMac or all-in-one Windows computer?

AtariMaster

Crazy question here. Would a new 27" Apple iMac run Hyperspin if it is running Bootcamp or Parallels + W7. Or any big all-in-one Windows 7 computer?

I've got an idea to have an ultra minimalist emu machine with a plug in control panel that would live on a shelf when not being played.

Has anyone ever built such a machine?

Thanks,

Andy

Don't know much about Macs, but Parallels is a virtual machine thing right? If so, I can't see any of this stuff running fine on it. I would assume it would run fine on bootcamp since it would be running on the actual OS.

Parallels should be able to run it as you can tune it to you needs as far as system resources go but it would not make sense doing that when you have Boot Camp. Windows 7 would run natively and at full speed, not to mention you can boot right into it vs booting Mac OS then booting the virtual machine then starting up HS.

If you have a Mac already or plan on getting one anyway I'd go that route, otherwise, for the sake of saving money I'd go with a cheaper PC. Maybe one of those HP touch something-or-another.

If you have a Mac already or plan on getting one anyway I'd go that route, otherwise, for the sake of saving money I'd go with a cheaper PC. Maybe one of those HP touch something-or-another.

I don't have a Mac but I agree that a cheaper Win7 machine would work as well i'm sure.

Like I said, ultra low key is my goal.

Thanks,

Andy

I don't have a Mac but I agree that a cheaper Win7 machine would work as well i'm sure.

Like I said, ultra low key is my goal.

Thanks,

Andy

The lowest key mac you can have right now is the mini, which is what I use, running win xp in bootcamp. Maybe you should look into that if you want that "low key" profile.

To be honest, the money i spent to have the beefiest mac mini at the time ($900.00), i could of bought a sick quad core htpc, it just would of been well, much bigger.

So if you want power as well, you might have to give up that low key way of thinking!

• 2 months later...

yes a new 27" imac could easily run hperspin/pin. Brand new imac's run core i5 or i7, 512mb to 2gb of video memory. refurb imacs from the apple refurb store start at the core i3 cpu. The most efficient way to run windows on a mac is by using boot camp so you boot into windows directly, not emulated. Then you can take advantage of all the ram and gpu.

I actually have 2 imac's I was thinking may work for a hyperpin machine and the backboard at the same time. 17" and a 20". Core duo's but you can swap in a core 2 duo 2.16ghz for $60. I have hyperpin on my mackbook pro 13" at work and it ran ok. I dont think it did the full intro movie to hyperpin though.....but it is using intel integrated graphics and not a read mobile vid card.

• 3 years later...
Crazy question here. Would a new 27" Apple iMac run Hyperspin if it is running Bootcamp or Parallels + W7. Or any big all-in-one Windows 7 computer?

I've got an idea to have an ultra minimalist emu machine with a plug in control panel that would live on a shelf when not being played.

Has anyone ever built such a machine?

Thanks,

Andy

So, some time has passed. How did this project turn out for you? I'm looking at doing something similar right now.

I recently bought an 1.6Ghz Atom (nvidia ion) Nettop and it's running the front-end slow. I'm thinking about switching to an all-in-one system with a beefier processor.

Archived