Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Hyperspin launching and xpadder - how do you control your frontend?

Takaji

Hey all! I have been getting a little frustrated with figuring out how to use my XBOX 360 controller to control Hyperspin's frontend. A few problems exist:

1. If I enable joystick controls in HyperHQ, the main system wheel will spin forever as soon as I try using the controller to move up and down on the wheel. I have also tried a Steelseries 3GC controller and the problem still exists.

2. Because of the problem above, I am forced to use an Xpadder profile for the frontend with controller keys mapped to keyboard navigation buttons set in HyperHQ. And since I've mapped my controller in each emulator I'm using, I then need to use Hyperlaunch HQ to load a blank Xpadder profile so that the keys assigned to Hyperspin navigation don't get pressed when I'm in the emulators.

I have tried a number of ways to fix this. I was using an exe posted on the forum called "HS Startup.exe" which lets you specify an Xpadder profile to be loaded when you launch Hyperspin. However, this method has produced strange problems (I need to launch Hyperspin, exit Hyperspin, close Xpadder from the taskbar, then relaunch Hyperspin before I can use any controls on the controller).

I also tried creating a frontend controller profile and set that as the main profile in Hyperlaunch HQ; however the profile is not loaded when launching Hyperspin (I assume because it's meant to only launch when using Hyperlaunch? I'm not sure).

All I'm trying to do is successfully enable joystick controls in HyperHQ without the endless spinning wheel problem that others on the forum have encountered, really. It would eliminate most of my problems.

Despite doing numerous searches on the forum there are many conflicting/different answers, and I wanted to start a fresh thread with my exact problem in the hopes I can solve it.

Thanks for reading and I hope someone can help me out! :)

Personally, enabling joysticks in HyperHQ has never worked for me. And this whole thing was very frustrating. I don't even bother enabling joysticks in HyperHQ. As far as I am concerned, that code doesn't work. So when I finally got everything working, I made a tutorial. Check it out (2nd part deals with setting up joysticks):

Essentially, since I am building a cab, I am only interested for the time being in getting MAME to work. I do the following:

1. Setup up MAME in HyperHQ.

2. Setup MAME in HLHQ

3. Test MAME in HyperSpin

4. Add in Joystick navigation in HLHQ for:

A. HyperSpin FE

i. Test mapping in HLHQ

B. HyperSpin Default

i. Test mapping in HLHQ

C. MAME Xpadder profile with no keys mapped.

i. Test mapping in HLHQ

5. Configure HS Startup.ini file to launch Xpadder with HyperSpin FE profile loaded.

6. Configure HyperHQ to launch HS Startup.exe upon HyperSpin startup.

7. Finally, test in HyperSpin.

Frustrating, but you'll get there.

Thanks for the tutorial! It's awesome when people put hard work into something that can help others.

I followed your tutorial, but I'm still having a problem - on the first run of Hyperspin, the controllers don't work in the frontend. I need to exit Hyperspin and Xpadder, and then launch Hyperspin again - and THEN the controllers work. Have you run into this problem?

Yeah, it is weird. But I don't think it is a HyperSpin/Xpadder issue, more of a Windows issue. Try this, make sure your joystick actually works in Windows first.

Shutdown Windows, then restart Windows with the controller unplugged. After Windows restarts, plug your joystick back in and let Windows reinitialize its drivers. Confirm in your Control Panel>Controller Properties before you even attempt to launch HyperSpin that your joystick inputs work in the Control Panel Properties. If they do, then launch HyperSync HyperSpin and see if you get joystick navigation in HyperSpin.

Try this, make sure your joystick actually works in Windows first.

How very strange. I followed your directions and experienced no problems! I don't understand why it worked the way it did... almost every other time in the past, when I run Hyperspin for the first time, I need to do as I stated above. I'm not convinced that the problem is completely gone however; and I'll report back if I experience the problem again and try to retrace my steps.

In the meantime, thanks so much for the help! :)

Thanks.. Really appreciate the time and work you have done with this, your explanation of it is perfect. This is a great tutorial. You really made a great piece of work here, that will help alot of hyperspinners, including myselfe. This one deserve to be STICKY under Emulator Setup / Settings.:D

Thanks.. Really appreciate the time and work you have done with this, your explanation of it is perfect. This is a great tutorial. You really made a great piece of work here, that will help alot of hyperspinners, including myselfe. This one deserve to be STICKY under Emulator Setup / Settings.:D

Thanks! I was compelled to make it after seeing a bunch of douchebags advertising the sale of hard drives all over YouTube, profiting from the efforts by people who want to freely share something meant for everyone. The thought is by removing some complexity out of the set up, it will put a dent in the sales of these hard drives.

How very strange. I followed your directions and experienced no problems! I don't understand why it worked the way it did... almost every other time in the past, when I run Hyperspin for the first time, I need to do as I stated above. I'm not convinced that the problem is completely gone however; and I'll report back if I experience the problem again and try to retrace my steps.

In the meantime, thanks so much for the help! :)

I'm building a cab and it makes it difficult to have to unplug/replug every time. Also, the issue only seems to happen when I shutdown and boot up with the joystick plugged in. Rebooting with the joystick plugged in after confirming the joystick works in Windows, there is no issue. Most cab builders use Windows XP. I am on Win7 32 bit. I'm going to see if the issue occurs in XP.

What OS are you on?

Also, the issue only seems to happen when I shutdown and boot up with the joystick plugged in. Rebooting with the joystick plugged in after confirming the joystick works in Windows, there is no issue. Most cab builders use Windows XP. I am on Win7 32 bit. I'm going to see if the issue occurs in XP.

What OS are you on?

I'm using Windows 7 64 bit Ultimate. I just did a little testing, and I really can't explain why, but now it seems that I no longer am having the problem I mentioned earlier of needing to exit Hyperspin and relaunch it in order for the joystick control to work. I tried restarting with the controller plugged in and unplugged.

*shrugs*

Instead of restarting/rebooting with the controller plugged in, power off the computer (shutdown) with the controller still plugged in. Then restart the computer with the controller still plugged in. On my side, the issue only occurs when powering on the computer after a shutdown and doesn't occur doing if doing a reboot.

Instead of restarting/rebooting with the controller plugged in, power off the computer (shutdown) with the controller still plugged in. Then restart the computer with the controller still plugged in. On my side, the issue only occurs when powering on the computer after a shutdown and doesn't occur doing if doing a reboot.

Huh. Well, if I shut down the computer with the controller plugged in, and then turn on the computer and try to launch Hyperspin, the controller doesn't work.

If I turn on the computer with the controller unplugged and THEN plug in the controller and launch Hyperspin, the controller works.

I wonder what could be causing this problem? Perhaps it's worth mentioning to djvj or someone of similar ilk (not sure who)... although it sounds more like a Windows or Xpadder problem?

FWIW, I'm using Xpadder 2013.07.18.

Huh. Well, if I shut down the computer with the controller plugged in, and then turn on the computer and try to launch Hyperspin, the controller doesn't work.

Instead of launching HyperSpin at this point, can you see if your joystick inputs work in the Control Panel>Controller Properties? In my system, the inputs don't register in the Controller Properties at all. I have to unplug and replug before the inputs register.

ghutch92 knows about this. He spent hours with me trying to find a solution. I really think it is a Windows problem, or a Windows 7 problem. I will give XP a shot later.

• 3 weeks later...

Happy to report this issue does not occur in Windows XP (x86). Therefore, if cab building where the goal is joystick navigation/control only, Windows XP is a must and Windows 7 should be avoided.

For historical purposes:

-If PC is powered down with USB joystick(s) plugged in, joystick(s) do not work even though they are recognized in the Control Panel.

-Joystick(s) must be unplugged, then replugged in before they will work.

-Issue does not occur if joystick(s) work, then the PC is rebooted; issue occurs only during a shut/power down and restart.

-Issue does not occur in Windows XP.

-Possible cab builders that have used Windows 7 have used keyboard encoders (i-Pac, Xin-Mo,etc.) rather than joysticks (USB Gamepad/controllers) and have avoided the issue.

**Issue is known to occur thus far with X360 controller, Zero Delay PS2/PS3 encoder.

No issue here with a normal Microsoft 360 controller. wired or wireless. tested on Windows 7, 8, & 8.1. Shutdown, restart, reboot all works. No worrying about plugging it in or unplugging it. It just works. They also work great with the HyperSpin Startup Script.

If you like symmetrical sticks, no issues have been reported with the Logitech f710's and f310's.

Also I have tested with bluetooth+ps3 controllers+better ds3 before and they work fine. I can't remember if I tested them in conjuction with the 360 controllers or not. I do remember it being more of a hassle to set up than 360 controllers and they were not truly plug and play (needed a background program running on windows startup).

On a sidenote I ditched using xpadder to control my frontend and now use the hyperspin startup script instead. It can be found in the 3rd party forums.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has anyone come up with any more info on this problem? I have the exact same thing going on. Using a small older Dell dual core intel running Win7. I have noticed this:

From a cold boot the ps2/ps3/pc encoder is installed, and I can see it in "devices and printers".....BUT....the device name is below the controller icon and is in some asian font! When I click on the controller and go to the calibration/test window, there is no response from the controller. When I go into properties, it says it's installed and "working properly" But it isn't.

If I unplug it and plug it back in, it comes up just fine and works flawlessly. In "devices and printers" it is listed as "usb gamepad"....in English...and with the lettering above the icon.

If I warm boot the machine (ie restart without shutting down) the controller installs fine and works fine.

It is only from a cold boot that the problem exists.

I have my whole Hyperspin painstakingly set up exactly how I want it in a Mame cabinet connected to a crt and would love to find a solution to this as I've spent so much time on it and dread the thought of trying to reconfigure the whole system. In fact, I had XP on the machine, but went to 7 because I had some different problem with XP that I couldn't resolve.

Clearly it is either a Windows issue OR some bug in the encoder's hardware or prom. The only other thing I can think of is possibly an issue with the machines bios ....but I can't imagine any setting that would affect that. In fact I tried to play with a few USB setting to no avail. But how could it be a bios issue when it works fine on reboot.

I guess....if nothing else I can just try a different model of joystick encoder or rig up an old keyboard.

Any help appreciated!

DynoMike

• 2 weeks later...

OK, I followed the instructions in the video to the tee and it still doesn't run.

The only differences I saw was (<palindrome) that the HyperSpin Startup ini was different than what I was using since it's the latest version. Here it is:

[Required]

HyperSpin_Folder_Path=F:\HyperSpin

HyperLaunch_Folder_Path=F:\HyperSpin\HyperLaunch

[General]

Primary_Color_RRGGBB=363636

Secondary_Color_RRGGBB=ffffff

[Controls]

Joysticks_Enabled=True

Joystick_Delay=225

Joystick_Deadzone=25

[startup]

Minimize_Background_Windows_Enabled=false

Window_Classes_To_Not_Minimize=Shell_TrayWnd,Button

Process_Name_To_Close_1=

Program_To_Run_Target_1=F:\HyperSpin\Hyperlaunch\Utilities\f710.xpadderprofile

Program_To_Run_Working_Dir_1=

Program_To_Run_MaxMinHide_1=

[Exit]

Restore_Windows_On_Exit=True

Process_Name_To_Close_1=

Program_To_Run_Target_1=

[Roulette]

Roulette_Key=~1

Roulette_Min_MilliSeconds=3000

Roulette_Max_MilliSeconds=8000

[Volume_Menu]

Volume_Menu_Key=~2

Volume_Bar_Offset_From_Bottom=44

[QuickLaunch]

QuickLaunch_Key=~3

QuickLaunch_Enabled=true

QuickLaunch_Left_Offset=5

QuickLaunch_Top_Offset=10

QuickLaunch_Bottom_Offset=10

Item_1_Path=

Item_1_Parameters=

Item_1_LogoPath=

Item_1_Ignore_Process_Close=false

---

I ran HyperSpin and the program doesn't acknowledge the F710 controller at all.

Remember: I followed all the instructions so please don't ask "did you do this?" etc.

Thanks!

OK, I followed the instructions in the video to the tee and it still doesn't run.

The only differences I saw was (<palindrome) that the HyperSpin Startup ini was different than what I was using since it's the latest version. Here it is:

[Required]

HyperSpin_Folder_Path=F:\HyperSpin

HyperLaunch_Folder_Path=F:\HyperSpin\HyperLaunch

[General]

Primary_Color_RRGGBB=363636

Secondary_Color_RRGGBB=ffffff

[Controls]

Joysticks_Enabled=True

Joystick_Delay=225

Joystick_Deadzone=25

[startup]

Minimize_Background_Windows_Enabled=false

Window_Classes_To_Not_Minimize=Shell_TrayWnd,Button

Process_Name_To_Close_1=

Program_To_Run_Target_1=F:\HyperSpin\Hyperlaunch\Utilities\f710.xpadderprofile

[Exit]

Restore_Windows_On_Exit=True

Process_Name_To_Close_1=

Program_To_Run_Target_1=

[Roulette]

Roulette_Key=~1

Roulette_Min_MilliSeconds=3000

Roulette_Max_MilliSeconds=8000

[Volume_Menu]

Volume_Menu_Key=~2

Volume_Bar_Offset_From_Bottom=44

[QuickLaunch]

QuickLaunch_Key=~3

QuickLaunch_Enabled=true

QuickLaunch_Left_Offset=5

QuickLaunch_Top_Offset=10

QuickLaunch_Bottom_Offset=10

Item_1_Path=

Item_1_Parameters=

Item_1_LogoPath=

Item_1_Ignore_Process_Close=false

---

I ran HyperSpin and the program doesn't acknowledge the F710 controller at all.

Remember: I followed all the instructions so please don't ask "did you do this?" etc.

Thanks!

I accept that you followed all the instructions, but do you mind adding your hyperspin log? It's in the same folder as hyperspin application and is called log.txt

Here is the log:

05:53:44 PM | HyperSpin Started

05:53:44 PM | Going FullScreen

05:53:44 PM | Checking for updates

05:53:44 PM | Update Check Complete

05:53:44 PM | Startup program: HyperSpin Startup Script.exe

05:53:44 PM | Startup params not set

05:53:44 PM | Working directory: F:\HyperSpin\Hyperlaunch\Utilities\

05:53:44 PM | Window State: HIDDEN

05:53:44 PM | Launching HyperSpin Startup Script.exe

05:53:44 PM | Command Line is HyperSpin Startup Script.exe

05:53:44 PM | Playing intro video