Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

King Of Fighters '95 for SSF; Playable, or should I try on another system?

pavlovtiger

Because I can't focus on one system the minute I see a game on another (I blame Game Sack,) I have been poking into some Japan-only Saturn releases and came up to KoF '95. I understand it predates the RAM carts (which SSF can handle just fine) and requires the ROM cart. Apparently only two (or three?) unique titles ever made use of it. I found the .bin for it, but obviously Hyperspin would need it to share the game's title (King of Fighters '95, The (Europe)) and I'm not sure how to make that play nice with the file system since there'd be two .bin with that file name. I suppose I can combine the actual game files into an ISO though. This is assuming SSF can even use the ROM cart with this game, it might not work at all and that's what I'm trying to figure out.

If anyone has gotten KoF '95 running in SSF for Hyperspin, or the other title, Ultraman Hikari no Kyojin Densetsu, please let me know. It is of little more than mild curiosity, as I'm at least mildly certain I can play all the KoF games on other systems...Neo Geo and Playstation 2 come to mind as where to look first.

Eenh. If nobody tells me SSF can be made to run it (my money is on 'no,') I'm pretty sure I have at least two or even three other choices for a system to run it. 96 and 97 do run beautifully on Saturn, and probably look even better on more advanced hardware like PS2 or Wii. I like to have every game that runs reasonably if I can, so I grab what's grab-able. Just tried 95 on Neo Geo, it's even kind of fun over there.

Those are all very valid points, and from a gameplay standpoint there's no reason for me to pursue this at all. I do, however, enjoy hunting down stuff for my Hyperspin setup that will make it more complete, particularly if I can (eventually) surmount challenges in doing so..even if I do get frustrated with the particularly recalcitrant stuff, as GigaPig can attest. >.>; It's of little more than curiosity, but I'd not mind getting this to run if I could.

I looked at the ahk for SSF and followed the tip there about the ROM cart, SSF tells me the cart has been inserted incorrectly and to reset and try again. I'm not sure if renaming the file extension from .bin to .rom broke the functionality or not, but perhaps Brolly will have that wisdom to share. I appreciate the ongoing help I've always gotten here, from everyone who's assisted. At this point I think I just need advice on setting up the rom cart in SSF, unless the version I got isn't the correct one and it's back to the lovingly-pixelated drawing board.

Now if only I could be this optimistic and chill about setting up MESS. >.>

yeah I think so, I thought you got it to run eventually? But it does work fine on SSF and the current module should boot the game without issues. Just make sure you delete the cache files for that game from the Setting folder in SSF first otherwise the cart won't load properly.

Go to Option-Peripheral

In Cartridge select Backup RAM

Enable the Data Cartridge checkbox and browse for the cart bin

Then start the game!

I think I must have a bad file or two, the rom cart I downloaded came in .bin format and I changed the extension to .rom but no luck. No idea if that's what the problem actually is but it's all I can assume beyond any errors I could have made without realizing, but I doubt that. Tried converting the .bin for the actual game to .iso, the converter refuses, so I'm back to being confused. The rom cart .rom has to be the same filename as the game, unless I can name it some generic thing like Saturn Romcart.rom and call SSF to that, but the ahk is pretty clear about this.

I don't feel like making yet another thread for one single game, so I'll try asking about it here; Street Fighter Alpha 3 (Zero 3) seems to refuse to load on SSF for me too. It displays the cubes-and-lasers Capcom logo intro thing, but afterward I get a black screen and the game doesn't continue to load. Tried on two versions of SSF and I've seen folks with this game running, at least one Youtube video at least, so apparently it does work in SSF in some manner, I just can't find out what. And unlike many other games with versions on other systems, the Saturn version of this game was among the best options to play it so I'm keen to keep trying.

Archived