Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Pedestal Cabinet Finished!...Almost

quincy2686

Well, here is my nearly finished pedestal cabinet. This is my second cabinet build. My first was a full size stand up cab. I wanted this one to be much smaller and easier to move around when needed.

The design is my own but was loosely based on a Golden Tee pedestal cabinet. It is built from 1/2 inch MDF. It features a 32" LCD TV for the screen. It is approximately 44 inches tall and 26 inches wide. For now, I am using an X-Arcade Tankstick that I picked up on ebay for cheap. The speakers are mounted slightly above and behind the control panel. And, it has a coin mech installed.

I still have a couple things I need to finish including wiring up the coin mech and painting the inside of the cabinet but I am very pleased with how it has turned out so far. My boys love it and my wife doesn't hate it so I must have done alright. :)

PC Specs:

AMD Athlon 64x2 Dual Core 3.00 GHz

4GB Ram

Nvidia 8800GT Video Card

Windows Vista SP2

My Hyperspin setup includes a custom wheel that has my favorite games from several different systems along with custom audio for each theme. I got the idea for using my own audio themes from Griff08 in this thread:

http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12319

I want to pass along my thanks to everyone who works so hard keeping this site going and for everyone who contributes their time and energy in creating themes and providing support. Hyperspin blows everything else away. I have been super impressed with it ever since I stumbled onto it and it is what inspired me to build this cabinet.

post-22185-142870573431_thumb.jpg

post-22185-142870573433_thumb.jpg

post-22185-142870573434_thumb.jpg

post-22185-142870573436_thumb.jpg

Really like the look of this and it is EXACTLY what i was hoping to build for my tank stick.

Is it sturdy and does it hold the tank stick ok? It looks ace.

Is there any chance you could give me the dimentions / plans of this unit so i could build my own?

Yes, it's very sturdy. The Tankstick fits in place very well. It actually sits on a couple pieces of rubber that I cut out and glued down on either side so it doesn't move or slide around at all. I can always take the Tankstick apart and screw it into place or add brackets on the sides to hold it if need be but I don't think that will be necessary as it is a very tight fit.

Unfortunately, the plans and measurements I started out with didn't hold up and I ended up sort of winging it as I went along. I did, however, keep a journal and tried to take lots of pictures during the construction phase. I would be happy to pass those along to anyone who wants them. Just PM me and I will get them to you.

Here is a video clip of my custom Hyperspin wheel with audio themes. I will post more of these if there is any interest. I have approximately 150 unique audio themes. The wheel is a kind of "favorites" mash up of Mame, NES, SNES, Genesis, N64 and Daphne. I'm adding to it all the time as I find appropriate music for games. I got several themes from Overclocked Remix - http://ocremix.org/ - which is a great site for video game music. Other themes are from my own tv/movie collection or from other various places around the net. I used a freeware program called Audacity to splice and equalize the clips.

I think the added music helps accentuate the awesome themes even more and just gives the overall cabinet a bit more flare (IMHO at least :) ).

cRIiwp34wCI

• 1 month later...
Could I see pics or get info on that TV stand? I am looking for something similar but cant find any pedastal / pole stand under $400

The tv is actually mounted to the wall. The black tubular looking thing under it is just my plastic cable holder. Never really noticed that before but It does kinda look like it's holding up the tv in the pic. :)

Where my Hyperspin cab is going is in front of a giant picture window, so I cannot wall mount. I am buying a 4 player cp from mameroom and going to use a flatscreen. Wall mounts are cheap, like $40. But a single pole and base is like $400. Drives me crazy.

Im now looking at malls and electronics stores and making offers. A single metal pole with a base is not expensive to make, but buying one is. Booooo

• 1 year later...

Baezl,

Hope these help. For the speaker board, I just used screws to attach it to the side panels. Behind the speaker board, I mounted a small board to hold the speakers, again screwing in through the side panels. I just made sure to countersink all of my screws and used wood putty and sanded it smooth before painting. I set my speakers directly behind the speaker grills and I use velcro to hold them in place. Nothing fancy at all. I did notice a lot of light bleeding through the speaker holes that I had cut so I just used some black felt to cover that up and that worked great. I left space behind the x-arcade for my hands to reach the rear buttons and switches and also attached the volume control directly onto the back of the x-arcade. This is not visible at all from the front while playing and gives me very easy access to everything.

post-22185-142870605338_thumb.jpg

post-22185-14287060533_thumb.jpg

post-22185-142870605332_thumb.jpg

post-22185-142870605335_thumb.jpg

post-22185-142870605336_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...

Hi Quincy - I am interested in creating pedestal cab using a Tankstick similar to your build. Can you provide some more measurements, such as from base to topmost height above the speakers, width across the front, and the distance between the bottom of the Tankstick base and cabinet? Likely my build will differ in that I plan to build the sides out of birch plywood and will also have shelves inside to house several consoles in addition to a PC. Thanks in advance and bravo on a great build!

Archived