Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Some questions about Atari 7800 emulation

crane_minter

I discovered Hyperspin last year, installed it, signed up for this site and Emumovies and started configuring different emulators and options, For certain reasons, among them the computer breaking, I abandoned the program for almost a year.

But recently I read about RocketLauncher and the option of selecting an alternate emulator for certain games and decided to start from scratch.

I also read about MESS being able to emulate the Atari 7800 much better than before and many people preferring it now to ProSystem

So, this weekend, after two or three clean installs and many hours of tutorials reading and watching, I managed to get Hyperspin, Hyperlaunch and HyperlaunchHQ working correctly.

I also managed to set up the Atari 7800 emulation. I now have MESS as the preferred emulator for all 7800 games but Barnyard Blaster, Sentinel and Impossible Mission (light gun games and IM being only completely playable in the PAL version). For those three games I use EMU7800.

I haven't had much time to try all games, so I was wondering if some people knew of other games that work better in one or the other emulator.

As I said before, gun games wouldn't work on ProSystem, but Kung Fu Master wouldn't work on EMU7800. Tower Toppler would have issues on both, but now seems running OK on MESS.

So, anyone has similar experiences with the other 7800 games and the three emulators and could share them so that I can configure the respective games to the emulator that works best with them? Thanks in advance.

Use MESS for all except the lightgun games, IM should run in MESS as well, but you might need the PAL bios not 100% sure on that.

Also for the 32-in-1 cart you'll need Stella.

Tower Toppler should work fine on other emus too, it's just a matter of selecting a different difficulty dipswitch value. MESS now uses that value as default so that's why it's working, before it also worked, but you had to change the dipswitch value yourself (iirc it should be A instead of B).

Use MESS for all except the lightgun games, IM should run in MESS as well, but you might need the PAL bios not 100% sure on that.

Also for the 32-in-1 cart you'll need Stella.

Tower Toppler should work fine on other emus too, it's just a matter of selecting a different difficulty dipswitch value. MESS now uses that value as default so that's why it's working, before it also worked, but you had to change the dipswitch value yourself (iirc it should be A instead of B).

Brolly, speaking of 7800, you told me that commando should have music in the newest versions of MESS due to the various driver improvements in it.

It still doesn't. I have forgotten about it until now. It's driving me crazy.

Crane, just out of curiousity are you using emu7800 on Windows 8?

Brolly, speaking of 7800, you told me that commando should have music in the newest versions of MESS due to the various driver improvements in it.

It still doesn't. I have forgotten about it until now. It's driving me crazy.

Crane, just out of curiousity are you using emu7800 on Windows 8?

I'm using Windows XP. For Commando I'm using MESS and I get music during the intro and during the game.

Archived