Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Consumer Alert Regarding EMS Top Gun III

guitarman84

DONT BUY THESE....yet anyways.

Alert I just purchased 2 of these bad boys through a reputable EBAY seller. They came in and worked really really well for 1 day.

On day 1 the trigger broke inside one of the guns. I opened up the gun to see what was going on and found that the piece of the trigger that presses the button inside the gun had broken and was no longer able to push the button that actuates the trigger press in MAME.

On day 2 the same thing happened to gun number 2.

I contacted the seller and the Manufacturer has taken responsibility for the defect and supposedly are shipping me 2 new guns with the defect permanently fixed..... we shall see. 3 week wait to find out.

For the brief time that they worked they were awesome wireless with laser sight, the recoil is pretty cool, they are really accurate once you calibrate them, and eliminate other IR sources, aside from some minor driver issues, I had not gotten both guns to work at the same time in MAME but had not worked on that problem for long.

Really bummed out. Don't buy these until you hear that the issue is fixed. I am not the only one with this issue as well.

http://forum.arcadecontrols.com/index.php?topic=114592.40

• 2 weeks later...
Could you take pictures of the broken piece/insides? I cant imagine its something completely unfixable given everyones expertise with mame setups. Might require more than superglue but surely theres something to be macgyvered in to fix the trigger.

I'd rather trust the manufacturer. Not for the fact that they'd do a better job than I would, but simply because they'll warranty any modifications made. :laugh:

I was looking into a pair of lightguns for mame. i dont really need a wireless gun i guess if the top gun 2 was a more solidly constructed gun. i was hoping the top gun 3 was more accurate than the previous series but with a trigger problem that makes me think the previous gen is better.

So why is the aimtrack the best one, i need to buy 2 guns in the future and the EMS wireless option was my first pick especially with the feedback (played alot of Point Blank). the problem with the trigger will be solved by the time i order i hope.

I havent tried either guns, but i did get this response from play asia

Thank you for contacting Play-Asia.com.

Yes we have heard of these issue, and those one that are defected we

already has sent it to our supplier for repair and replacement. The stock

we had, we can't guarantee that it will have this issue or not, but if you

have problem with the item you can always send it back to us for exchange

and replacement.

If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Best regards,

Jay

Play-Asia.com

one!?! You need two!

So I finally ordered two Aimtrak as the Playdium Strore is selling them 99$ CDN plus taxes. Ultimarc is selling them 95$ USD and I risk paying brokerage fees.

Hope to receive them by friday so I can gun some Terminators down next week-end!

I hate to be a killjoy, but unless youre talking about a different terminator game, it used analog joysticks to calculate where the gun was aiming, not an actual IR beam like time crisis

http://retroblast.arcadecontrols.com/files.html

Terminator 2 NVRAM File

Terminator 2 NVRAM FileIf you've tried to play Terminator 2 in MAME, you've discovered that you first have to calibrate the "guns" (which were actually analog joysticks with guns attached to the top).

If you're having trouble getting the game properly calibrated in MAME, here's a pre-calibrated NVRAM file. Just drop the "term2.nv" file into the "nvram" folder (located in your MAME folder), and you'll be blasting cyborgs in no time.

one!?! You need two!

Got 'em!

1003403.th.jpg 1003401q.th.jpg 1003400b.th.jpg

Installation is a breeze and they work like a charm. Only downside is that they are really sensitive to light. I have to roll down the window shade and close the light for them to work properly but I don't mind at all, it reminds me of the local arcades where it was dark and loud!

• 1 month later...

Any other options around or has anyone else taken the plunge with the Top Gun III? I really like the wireless & recoil functions on it, is that enough to outweight the downsides. I'll be playing on a 32" screen so I can live with having to stand back a bit.

• 7 months later...

I'm interested in getting a couple of light guns going as well.

The help is quite comprehensive for these AimTrak devices here and although wireless would be nice - wired will always be better:

http://ultimarc.com/aimtrak.html

I have a couple of questions though:

1. The guide mentions creating a Mame.ini file if not already created and setting some values in there. It then says to make control changes in Mame itself (by using the [Tab] configuration page).

When you configure this will it mess with any of the configuration with non-light gun games?

I would like to not have to change anything at all when launching any Mame if possible whether they use light guns or not.

2. You cannot seem to be able to buy a 2-pack of guns for 2 player fun so do you use the same sensor for both guns if you bought two?

3. Anyone tried it with other emulators other than MAME such as psxfin.exe (PS One) for Time Crisis for example? Or Nestopia (NES) for Duck Hunt for example.

Is it easy to set up for other emulators as well if anyone has tried?

Gracias

• 4 months later...

Hey guitarman84, how's your new guns doing?

I was planning to get a pair of those, not going to happen any time soon anyway, but those were the only lightguns for PC I could find in my country... anyone else have it and could review?

• 1 month later...

yes please let us know :) I'm looking at these on ebay now waiting to pull the literal trigger.....

If the Ultimarc ones work better and are better quality I may go for them but the lack or wireless, lack of kickback and fewer buttons kinda put me off a little.....

Has anyone used the EMS TopGun III for FPS games yet? I'm tempted to try this out on my HTPC with a 60" or larger screen for fun immersive gameplay. Maybe use it with a little nunchuck of some sort for the WSAD jump and etc. I know it would be sensitive as heck (I have used wii motes and gyraiton remotes before for this) but still makes it fun!!

from my experience and i havnt tried the ems 3 though i know of a few people who have. Lights guns are a pain in the butt to keep working properly. I had the aim track back in 2010 and didnt have alot of luck with them kept coming out of calibration..? but, the aimtrak with have more support with the mame community so may be a better bet to go with them. I know that they have made some improvements over the years. I know that im going to buy two for my upcoming build and see how much better they are.

Anyone else wants to chime in i would like to hear what they think.

Archived