Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

WD Green and Hyperspin

Styphelus

I need a new hard drive for my Hyperspin setup. Does anyone have any experience running Hyperspin with WD Green drives?

I currently have a 3TB WD Black for all my PC games and Hyperspin but I need more space for Hyperspin and was thinking of getting a WD 4TB green drive.

The reason I'm looking at the WD Green is mostly price and the fact that Hyperspin is mostly a storage drive for all the roms and doesn't require high performance unless I'm playing PS2 or Wii games. I would keep the WD Black for PC games only (I'm mostly a PC gamer).

Would this be a good idea? I know the Green drives are slower and go to sleep easily and take a bit of time to start spinning again. Not sure if that would affect Hyperspin.

Any advice on this? If not the WD Green, what other drive would you recommend? I'm trying to avoid Seagate as they have a terrible reputation and I don't want my drive to die in 2 years time.

If your machine is on a lot 24/7 get a Red Drive as they are rated for NAS drives which are on 24/7.

The green drive should be fine with regard to speed, I'm sure I have one in here somewhere.

I have all my Steam games on a 500gb Samsung 840 Evo SSD, so if you want fast load times pick one of those up in the black Friday sales, and use the black drive for HS?

My Seagate 2tb External just died after a year and a half, the replacement is on it's way, so I can't fault the're service.

Archived