The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

bezel question

craiganderson

I have a two basic question regarding bezels....in order to further my understanding...... And I love all the work being done. Thanks.

1) When a bezel is made for a system, does the creator make sure that the size/shape of the emulator screen (i.e. the numbers in the bezel .ini file) maintains the true aspect of the gameplay area/emulator screen OR is the bezel created first and then the gameplay area/emulator screen forced to fit the bezel?

2) And the "fixed resolution" mode ALWAYS maintains the correct size/aspect ratio of the gameplay area/emulator screen?

In bezel normal mode, the bezel is drawn to the screen, them the emulator window is resized to fit the bezel screen empty area.

So any bezel image creator should always try to make the bezel screen area respecting the games aspect ratio whenever possible as a best practice.

However, even having a bad defined screen area aspect ratio it is possible to have the game on the correct aspect ratio as some emulators do not allow the opposite, while others have the force aspect ratio option available.

In bezel fixResMode, the emulator window is created and them the bezel image is adjusted to fit around the emulator window. This is necessary for emulators that do not allow the game window to be resized. As these emulator only support specific resolutions, usually the aspect ratio is forced on these cases.

IMPORTANT:

Please, from now on, any question related with HyperLaunch features should be redirect to the HL forums: http://www.hyperlaunch.net/forum. The answers will come much faster and we will be able to organize much better any info available over there.

Thanks for your answer. Very helpful! One follow up.

I like the fixedres option when making my simple bezels for my system because i like knowing for sure the size/aspect ratio etc is correct.

Question: Is there any harm in using the fixed resolution option on systems that the other option would have worked as well?? I have not noticed any issues/problems but thought I would ask..... thanks

Think like this:

If the emulator supports resizing the window, everything that you do on the fixResMode you can do with the normal bezel. The opposite is not true.

So it is always best to try to achieve the normal bezel mode compatibility when creating the module code.

The only thing that you need if you have the normal bezel mode support to make it work as the fixResMode is correctly create your bezel image, nothing more.

Also, if the emulator supports window resizing, it makes no sense to use the fixResMode, as it will not force the correct aspect ratio, it will simply assume that the window already have it.

If you resize your window to a very strange aspect ratio, and use the fixResMode on a case were you could have the normal bezel mode, the next time that you open your emulator it will have this strange aspect ratio, and the bezel will try to adjust to it. It just does not make any sense.

The aspect ratio can only be forced through emulator options, or by creating a bezel image with the correct screen area. It has nothing to do with the bezel mode that you use on your module.

When I switched most of emulators to run under RetroArch, Bezels began to work completely off screen, I mean, the emulator screen never fitted and I had to disable bezel when using RetroArch, is there a trick to solve this?

I didn't had the opportunity to test anything lately on retroarch. I will try to take a look as soon as I can.

Meanwhile, I am serious guys, POST HYPERLAUNCH QUESTIONS ON THE HYPERLAUNCH.NET FORUM.

Time is limited and is a hell to keep searching in multiple places for hyperlaunch questions to try to help you guys.

There is a huge probability that requests like this get missing when I acquire the free time to take a look at them is they are not on the proper place.

Archived