The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

UltraStik Issue

pinball2883

I have UltraStiks set up for players 1 and 2 tried to hook through my ipac4. i can not get them turn on. have them wired to +5 and ground. I get them to turn on when i plug a USB into them. They work hooked to USB and IPAc but when i play my gamepad on say N64 and go back to mame they controls change from say JOY 1 to Joy 3. I need then to be solid to 1 JOY or preferable not joy just Keyboard entries. How would i fix this. If i could only get the +5 and ground to power them up like USB does. I do not know why the green light will not light when plugged into the IPAC 4 plugged into +5 and GND.

Hey Pinball2883,

Not sure if you've emailed Andy yet but I thought I could lend a hand since I use UltraStik's in my cab.

First if you haven't already you should check out the install instructions here:

http://ultimarc.com/ultrastik_inst.html

Note that there's two modes you can operate the Joysticks in, either Input or Output mode depending on how you have them wired.

In Input mode you're using USB to control the joy directions and Windows will see the joystick as a gamepad device. With the optional wiring harness you can hook up to 8 buttons up as well and they will be treated as buttons for that gamepad.

With Output mode you're using 4 wires hooked to an iPac or other keyboard encoder to control the directions plus power and ground wires. You can use USB for the power instead if you like in this mode.

It sounds like what you've done is hooked up the power and ground (and not the 4 directional wires) to your keyboard encoder along with still plugging in the USB. So you're basically just operating in Input mode. Emulators that don't recognize windows gamepad devices and only keyboard commands won't work this way.

I still wouldn't recommend operating in Output mode though and wiring up the 4 directionals. Most emulators recognize gamepad devices and for those that don't you can just launch XPadder in the script beforehand which mimics keystrokes.

In my opinion operating in Input mode (USB) with a wiring harness to buttons is the best way to go. It's easier for the majority of emulators and without USB you can't download custom maps to the joystick. Also hooking them up this way they should always remain Joy 1, Joy 2 and not change. Use Xpadder for the emulators that won't work with gamepads.

Hope that helps.

I got just the USB hooked up and they work in game but i can not get them to work in Hyperspin to move the wheel? I set them up in hyperHQ under Joysticks and even did the identify on the top for controllers 1 and 2 but they still do not work in hyper spin? I have Joystick enabled Checked but also have Keyboard enabled on the keyboard tab so that the control panel buttons work to exit and enter games and systems. what am i doing wrong?

I also ordered normal 8 way Happ contols if i can not get these figured out

• 1 year later...

I had the same problem. Solution was xpadder mapping and ghutches script that starts xpadder when you open hyperspin (which you set in HyperHQ). I used xpadder instead of joy2key.

I've got some ideas.

1.) you need the latest version of hyperlaunch (from git and not the downloads section) Installing and updating using git

2.) look at the keymapper documentation. The above picture is outdated.

3.) look at the pictures in the keymapper documentation.

4.) You'll need to run joytokey on HyperSpin Startup or Windows startup to have joytokey enabled when you first use HyperSpin. You can use my HyperSpin Startup Script for this.

Congrats on joining the HyperSpin community with your first post.

I know this is a super old thread but i think I am having the same problem with getting my Ultrastik to work with hyperspin.

If you or anyone figured out a solution, please put it up here.

So do you like the Ultrastik's???

And yeah that info above is correct. If you had have used Google to search the forum you would have found the post pretty easy. :)

So do you like the Ultrastik's???

It seems really nice but I've only got the basic setup for now. I'll probably buy some restrictor plates and new top once I've gotten a better feel for the games I want to play most.

I've been having some fun with super meat boy while I've been trying to figure out emulators and joytokey.

And yeah that info above is correct. If you had have used Google to search the forum you would have found the post pretty easy. :)

I really appreciate the responsiveness here, because searching was finding me nothing. That info above looks like just what I need, but search never found it.

• 2 years later...

I know this is a frequently asked question, but can anyone provide an updated tutorial to get an Ultrastik 360 working in the Hyperspin wheels?  I currently have Joystick 1 as an Ultrastik, connected by the USB plug and the 10-pin header, with the 8-way map loaded.  The stick works in MAME, but can't navigate Hyperspin wheels.  It seems that all the links above are out of date or broken.

Archived