Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Virtual Pin Force Feedback using original flipper Coils

Miracle

Hi Everyone,

Working on my Standard Size Virtual Pinball, i use a old Stern Galaxy.

I want to provide force feedback using the original flip coil (because i have a small budget and i think it's more "accurate" than a industrial relay).

Does someone allready heard about this ?

I don't have the original Stern alimentation, only a standard PC alimentation (12v, 5v).

Does is it ok to operate the coil ?

Thanks

Ced.

• 1 year later...

Going to need some more information on your coils and power supply to determine that. There are 2 basic calculations that you have to do.

To determine the power needed in watts you need to calculate P=I x E where P is the Power (watts), I is the Current (amps) and E is the Electromotive Force (Volts).

To determine the current in the above calculation (I) you need to use Ohm's Law where E=I x R, E once again being Voltage, I being Current and R being Resistance (ohms).

So we need to fill in the blanks:

If we want to find the current, we'll need to calculate the value of I from Ohm's Law which means we need to rearrange the formula like so:

I= E/R

Assuming that you are using a 48v power supply, to finish the formula we need the resistance of the coil in ohms: Then we would have:

I=48/?

Once we have I we can then use the calculation for power

P=IxE

Which would be :

P=?x48

That would give us the power needed for 1 coil, you then need to figure out how many coils may run at one time (Ptotal) and then add a safety margin of 25% or so to avoid blowing the power supply with a spike (the coils will have what is called an inrush current associated with them and will draw more power initially and then settle down).

So Ptotal would be PxNumCoils +25%

Going to need some more information on your coils and power supply to determine that. There are 2 basic calculations that you have to do.

To determine the power needed in watts you need to calculate P=I x E where P is the Power (watts), I is the Current (amps) and E is the Electromotive Force (Volts).

To determine the current in the above calculation (I) you need to use Ohm's Law where E=I x R, E once again being Voltage, I being Current and R being Resistance (ohms).

So we need to fill in the blanks:

If we want to find the current, we'll need to calculate the value of I from Ohm's Law which means we need to rearrange the formula like so:

I= E/R

Assuming that you are using a 48v power supply, to finish the formula we need the resistance of the coil in ohms: Then we would have:

I=48/?

Once we have I we can then use the calculation for power

P=IxE

Which would be :

P=?x48

That would give us the power needed for 1 coil, you then need to figure out how many coils may run at one time (Ptotal) and then add a safety margin of 25% or so to avoid blowing the power supply with a spike (the coils will have what is called an inrush current associated with them and will draw more power initially and then settle down).

So Ptotal would be PxNumCoils +25%

Excellent example. Thanks.

Archived