Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Sega CD Vs. Sega 32X?

mccorkled

I am a bit confused and would like to make the appropriate changes to my XML files if need be... In RLUI I have Sega CD and Sega 32X set up. While going through my games I noticed a few games in the Sega CD XML that are marked 32X but they are not included in the Sega 32X XML.

Can someone explain this to me? When I set up RetroArch I had to obviously include the Bios files for U, E, and J, consoles but when I try to run a 32X game that is under my Sega CD set it starts to load and the game screen comes up saying that it can only be played on a 32X system.

There are a few Sega CD games that were produced that utilized the 32X to enhance the visuals. As far as I know, Kega Fusion is the only emulator that can play 32X CD games. I wouldn't know about RetroArch, I don't use it.

Things like this are why I am combining my Genesis, Sega CD & 32X wheels into a single system.

Let's be honest, it's all Sega Genesis/Mega-Drive anyway.

As for the BIOS, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what it is named as long as you set the correct file in the directory settings of Fusion. ( Never heard of this compatibility issue with Fusion, are you sure it's not your cd images? )

Things like this are why I am combining my Genesis, Sega CD & 32X wheels into a single system.

Let's be honest, it's all Sega Genesis/Mega-Drive anyway.

As for the BIOS, I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter what it is named as long as you set the correct file in the directory settings of Fusion. ( Never heard of this compatibility issue with Fusion, are you sure it's not your cd images? )

I do not remember if it was you or someone else whom tested a Sega CD game for me that I could not get working. It would stop after the Sega logo. Same with their copy. When I tried it in RetroArch it worked fine. Fusion is great, but like I said, it only plays about half of the games. If you do not believe me, try your Cadillacs and Dinosaurs game or Corpse Killer.

Combining the wheels is not going to solve the problem of them not working and I personally wouldn't want 3 consoles on 1 wheel. It would take way too long to scroll through if you were casually browsing.

RetroArch bios files must be named specifically and when setting up RetroArch, you cannot even load a game until you have the USA, Europe, and Japan bios files but it never asks for a 32X bios file.

No, it definitely wasn't me haha.

And it's not that I don't beleive you, I'd just never heard of it, please don't take that as any sort of notion of 'expertise' on my part. lol
I've never used RetroArch either, so I apologize if that caused any confusion.

Also, what I was referring to with combining the wheels was due to the games that are both for 32X and Sega CD. I just threw that out there as an example of what I am doing with my build. I certaintly understand it creating incredibly long wheels for most. I, again personally, have gone through and deleted a whole mess of games that I didn't feel were 'worthy' of being in my setup. (Sports, Edutainment, Barbie, Scrolling shoot-'em-ups etc etc) So my wheels are alot smaller than most peoples, making wheel combinations a bonus, rather than a detriment.

You don't need the 32X BIOS files for RetroArch. The PicoDrive core loads 32X games fine without it; it uses an emulated BIOS. Genesis Plus GX doesn't support 32X, but you want to use that core for everything else Sega (besides Saturn and Dreamcast) since it's more accurate than PicoDrive.

You don't need the 32X BIOS files for RetroArch. The PicoDrive core loads 32X games fine without it; it uses an emulated BIOS. Genesis Plus GX doesn't support 32X, but you want to use that core for everything else Sega (besides Saturn and Dreamcast) since it's more accurate than PicoDrive.

Can you explain more? How do I set up RetroArch and RocketLauncherUI to use different cores for different games?

Do you happen to have a list of the Fusion non-working games?

Thanks

I wish you had asked me earlier today or yesterday. I just finished adding the games that wouldn't work because I got them to run in RetroArch. You'll just have to test them one at a time. Sounds pain staking but once you get past the Sega screen you will know immediately. Also, two games that got past the Sega screen but wouldn't work are Bram Stoker's Dracula, and Corpse Killer.

Can you explain more? How do I set up RetroArch and RocketLauncherUI to use different cores for different games?

I dunno, I don't use RocketLauncher for RetroArch launching. I turn off HyperLaunch in HyperHQ using Execution: Normal and specify the core to use for each system with a parameter in the Params section. Example: -L cores\picodrive_libretro.dll

I dunno, I don't use RocketLauncher for RetroArch launching. I turn off HyperLaunch in HyperHQ using Execution: Normal and specify the core to use for each system with a parameter in the Params section. Example: -L cores\picodrive_libretro.dll

I wish I knew what you were talking about so I could do this. :) Hopefully I can mess around with this tomorrow.

I wish I knew what you were talking about so I could do this. :) Hopefully I can mess around with this tomorrow.

Maybe this screenshot of one of my wheel setups in HyperHQ will help:

jfdwrZy.png

You would do something like that, but with whatever your paths are to your ROMs and RetroArch.exe. And you'd just change the name of the core .dll in the Params spot for each system. This won't let you do per game core setups though. You'd have to make a separate .ini file in HyperSpin\Settings with different parameters pointing to the core, then add <exe>settingsfilename</exe> tags to each game's meta data in the system's .xml that you want to use that core. It's easier to have separate wheels for each system.

Thank you for the screenshot. Definitely helps. I messed with it earlier and then had to give up and start drinking. I am not worried about doing it this way because there are only like 6 or so games that are 32X games for Sega CD. Sorry to be a bother but could you go into a bit more detail on how to do...

"You'd have to make a separate .ini file in HyperSpin\Settings with different parameters pointing to the core, then add <exe>settingsfilename</exe> tags to each game's meta data in the system's .xml that you want to use that core. It's easier to have separate wheels for each system."

I think I am following you, and I do have separate wheels for each system, but... in the Sega CD XML there are a few games that are 32X which I found out is because they released a few that are cross over. Which does not make sense to me because they are not included in the Sega 32X XML. The databases around here seem to be a bit screwy, or maybe they are perfectly fine... at any rate, I would like to get the games working for the XML they are in.

I refresh my browser once an hour awaiting your replies!

You would go into your HyperSpin\Settings folder and make a copy of your Sega CD.ini file, then rename that to Sega CD 32X.ini. Then open that file with a text editor (I like Notepad++) and change the parameters under [exe info] to point to the core you want to use for those games (you can even point to a different emulator .exe if you wanted to use Kega or something). Then you go into HyperSpin\Databases\Sega CD and open Sega CD.xml with your text editor. Find the entries for the Sega CD 32X games you need to use a different core, and add <exe>Sega CD 32X</exe> as one of the lines between the game name and </game>. That tells HyperSpin to use the settings from Sega CD 32X.ini when launching that game.

[exe info]
path=Z:\Hyperspin\RocketLauncher\
rompath=
userompath=true
exe=RocketLauncher.exe
romextension=
parameters="Sega CD 32X" -f "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Sega CD\cores\picodrive_libretro.dll" -p "HyperSpin"
searchsubfolders=true
pcgame=false
winstate=NORMAL
hyperlaunch=false

<game name="Corpse Killer (32X) (USA)" index="" image="">
        <description>Corpse Killer (32X) (USA)</description>
        <exe>Sega CD 32X</exe>
        <cloneof></cloneof>
        <crc></crc>
        <manufacturer>Digital Pictures</manufacturer>
        <year>1994</year>
        <genre>Gun</genre>
        <rating>ESRB - M (Mature)</rating>
        <enabled>Yes</enabled>
    </game>

Did both of those and now here is the error I am getting.

2wnn33p.png

My method doesn't use RocketLauncher/HyperLaunch.

Your <exe info> in Sega CD 32X.ini should look something like this:

[exe info]
path=..\..\..\Emulators\RetroArch\
rompath=..\..\Isos\Sega CD 32X\
userompath=true
exe=retroarch.exe
romextension=cue
parameters=-L cores\picodrive_libretro.dll
searchsubfolders=true
pcgame=false
winstate=HIDDEN
hyperlaunch=false

Just change the paths to where your retroarch.exe and ISOs are. I use relative paths, but full paths work fine too. I think you have to have hyperlaunch=false in your Sega CD.ini as well, or else it will ignore the <exe> tag in your xml.

Ok, I have no settings for Sega CD in RLUI.

I have my HyperHQ settings exactly like yours.

My Sega CD.ini is as follows...

[exe info]
path=Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Sega CD
rompath=Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Sega CD\ROMS
userompath=true
exe=retroarch.exe
romextension= bin
parameters=-L "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Sega CD\cores\picodrive_libretro.dll"
searchsubfolders=true
pcgame=false
winstate=NORMAL
hyperlaunch=false

Do I need the <exe>Sega CD 32X</exe> to have the .ini part?

<exe>Sega CD 32X.ini</exe>

When trying to launch a game in HyperSpin I get a dos window for half a second that says

"RetroArch [ERROR]  ::  load_symbols :: Failed to open dynamic library: "Z:\Hyperspin\Emulators\Sega CD\cores\genesis_plus_gx_libreto.dll"

RetroArch [ERROR] :: rarch_main_init :: Fatal error received in: "load_dynamic()"

No, the filename between the <exe> tags doesn't need the .ini extension. It looks like you have everything correct now as long as the paths are right. Well, besides using romextension=bin. Usually you have to load a cue file and not the bin directly, unless Genesis Plus GX or Picodrive support that. But it shouldn't still be trying to load the GPGX core, since you set up the <exe> override correctly.

There's probably some small thing you're overlooking. I would first make sure you can launch games in both those cores directly in RetroArch if you haven't already.

BTW, you can hide that command window by setting winstate=HIDDEN in your inis. It's useful for troubleshooting though.

It can probably run most of them, but might have sound or graphical issues since it's not as accurate as GPGX. I don't really see why you'd sacrifice better emulation of the Sega CD library for the six crappy Sega CD 32X games though...

Archived