Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Issues with retroarch on Shield TV

rob3d

Finally got Hyperspin running on my shield tv but now there seems to be issues with retroarch.  I've installed 3 different builds and I keep running into the same problem.

Here's the rundown of whats happening

1. install retroarch
  2. set up bindings for shield controller
  3. exit to main menu and run hyperspin
  4. load an nes game (SMB)
  5. Game runs perfectly 1st time all bindings work
  6. use back button to exit retroarch and return to hyperspin menu
  7. load another game (contra)
  8. bindings no longer work, back button also no longer exits retroarch
  9. Use home to go to the main menu and load hyperspin again
  10. load another game (bionic commando)
  11. contra is still loaded and the bindings are unresponsive.

As a side note I tried to force close retroarch but it doesn't show as running in the app menu. If I run retroarch directly after that contra is still loaded so its definitely running in the background.

The only way to get retroarch to load another game is to either restart the shield tv or uninstall and reinstall retroarch.

This problem also happens when not using hyperspin at all.  Backing out of a game in retroarch and choosing another has the same result.

Anyone run into this issue, is there a specific build of retroarch I should be using?

Thanks

My experience with nightly retroarch builds is similar.   They were much more stable a few months ago.   While I really do value retroarch and am anxious for them to fix it soon, I've been shifting over to the emulators from Robert Brogila (nes.emu) and Garage Research.    I have launch parameters for both in my emulator post.  

You must remove retroarch launch parameters from .ini OR move it to the end (separated by |).

Put other preferred priority emulators in the front of the exe= and params= strings (separated by |).

My experience with nightly retroarch builds is similar.   They were much more stable a few months ago.   While I really do value retroarch and am anxious for them to fix it soon, I've been shifting over to the emulators from Robert Brogila (nes.emu) and Garage Research.    I have launch parameters for both in my emulator post.  

You must remove retroarch launch parameters from .ini OR move it to the end (separated by |).

Put other preferred priority emulators in the front of the exe= and params= strings (separated by |).

Thank you, that was going to be my next approach, just wanted to see if i was the only one with this problem.  The latest nightlies seem to be gearing towards android tv compatibility, and with that I think they are also depreciating the ui to something more tv friendly.

Here's hoping their stable builds are useable in the future.

thanks

• 4 weeks later...

I was trying to get retroarch running through hyperspin. Like everyone else, the bindings failed blah blah blah. I think the difference between retroarch and the other emulators is that retroarch requires the cfg file. While the others are coded in to the emulator itself. So when you try to launch retroarch through hyperspin it basically ignores the config file completely because it has no way of reading the config file when in hyperspin. Perhaps in a future update you would be able to make it so you could could point to the config file through the parameters. That would be my guess anyway.

Just tried out the debug build. Everything works like it should. You have to change your key bindings/menu hotkeys to get the settings to stay after you launch inside hyperspin. It seems to be working perfect. Thanks!

• 3 months later...

Archived