Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Anyone thought of using an Ouya for emulators?

bubsy54

As I finalize my first arcade cabinet, I am thinking of creating a bartop for my brother-in-law (my sister won't let him have a full sized arcade cabinet)

I have been following articles on the Ouya pre and post release and I was thinking that it might a decent alternative to a PC for a bartop cabinet.

Has anyone else considered using one?

well thing is most people here are here for using hyperspin, and ouya is android so hyperspin not gonna be running on it. Plus it well be limited to the power of say a nexus 7 which I have and snes and below is fine some mame well work but anything higher up wont.

But if you do try it please post pics as it would be interesting to see how it all comes together.

Well there's an Andoid Emulator for MAME as well as PSX. I'm sure there's others that's just off the top of my head.

The Mame and ePSXe emulator for PSX work perfectly on my S3. And for the amount of space you'll have you won't be using games with a CHD file anyway. (Those games typially need some real "muscle" to run nice. So games like Pacman, Donkey Kong and easy stuff like that will work perfectly. But as far as Hyperspin - probably not.

Good luck - and happy building.

While I understand that most people on here are for using hyperspin, there are still a decent amount who i know that use other front ends in addition, depending on what they are looking to do.

Ouya seems to be a very cheap but effective alternative with the added bonus of android games. As for android emulators, I have nes, snes, genesis, mame, psx, n64, PC engine, Atari and there are still many more.

As long as you are selective with your game choices, Ouya could be a decent alternative, especially for people with a limited budget. And yes, there would be no hyperspin support.. That goes without saying.

If I ever attempt to build a bartop, with an ouya, I'll post some pics, but I do have a spare PC lying around so I may just use that.

Archived