Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Setup instructions needed for novices

djdaveoc

Is Hyperspin for Android fully working?  Meaning, are there several people out there who have it running?  If there is anyone who has it working with at least a few systems and Retroarch, please let me know who you are.  I need help badly getting mine to work.

I'm also having trouble myself with setting up Hyperspin for Android, I've got a good grasp of the setup on Windows but for some reason this is stumping me.

Most of my ROMs are 7z format ... does 7z work?

Im planning on using a USB HD which holds my windows Hyperspin too, when pointing the rompath what do I need to do .... storage/usb/etc/etc

If you have a working PC setup, the primary thing MISSING for Android are modified /Settings files.   The best thing to do for your PC setup is to create a Settings_Android folder, copy your PC .ini files there and then start modifying the rompath=, exe=, param= for Android.    For initial setup, I suggest disabling the filter settings in the settings.ini file.

In /Databases/Main Menu/, you can create a secondary 'Main Menu_Android.xml' file in the case you have wheels that work properly on Android yet.

.7z support works with Hyperspin (if you define it properly as a rom extension).   Warning though - you may run into some emulators that work work with .7z.

If your wheel seems truncated (only shows a smaller number of expected games AND filters are off), you might have /database .xml file issues related to '&' in the filename.

Check the know issues stick post for other possible bugs and gotchas (a few known themes can crash, etc.)

• 2 weeks later...

Primarily what I can't get working right now is the controller.  When I open a game it's like I need to map keys to the Nvidia Shield controller.  Where do I adjust controller mappings/settings per system?

Also, some system say I can't open the game because of missing rom files when I try to open the game.  I believe I have the roms and the XML files for database are correctly names the same as the video and image files etc.  Same name in the database xml file.  So not sure why I wouldn't be able to open games.  Having so many problems and not sure where to turn for help.

Most emulators should support the Shield controller 'out of the box'.   Indeed, each system setup can have it's own set of issues.   Hang in there, once you've got it working, you're basically done (minus potential upgrades).       I suggest working through each system/wheel at a time.  Share the emulator you are using and the errors you are getting.   You can setup ADB to watch the log -- that can be helpful too.

Is there a recommended/supported set of cores that are known to work.  For example, for NES, there are about 4 possible cores.  The one I chose has the touch-screen overlay on the screen when I launch a game.  And the controls don't work on the gamepad.  Not sure which core for each system is the best one to use with the least problems.  I don't have hundreds of hours to sit around and try everything.  So if this system will take a few hundred hours of setup like the old Hyperspin did there's no way I'm willing to use this.

Just launch a rom, and then go to the RetroArch menu with it still running, define button's and then return to the game. Make sure you exit (RA) through its menu and hey presto keys should be set for that system :) Also the overlays can be removed and everything else adjusted, for each system. You have got to expect a certain amount of setting up and customisation, that's what makes Hyperspin good. If you already have a system setup, it won't take long to get it running on Android :)

Can you please give step-by-step instructions on how to set buttons in RA?  I'm brand new to this app. and it doesn't look very intuitive.  There are a million menus and none of them are obvious about where to go to configure things.

Once I get it done for 1 system I'm sure I can do the rest.  I think I figured out where to turn off the controller overlay.  That was in settings in RA.  I'm hoping if I can just get the controls setup I'll be able to actually play a game.  I think I figured out the path thing.

For the Nvidia Shield using a micro SD card it is:

/storage/sdcard1/Hyperspin/insert the rest of your custom path here

I'll run through from a fresh install :)

1. Open RetroArch App.

2. Click on (Online Updater) (RetroArch used to ship with cores pre installed, but no longer

does!!!) So you need to download the emulator cores for the systems you wish to use.

3. Click (Core Updater) (I'm going to use "NES/FAMICOM (NESTOPIA)" for the purpose of this

guide) so I just press on it and it downloads.

4. Now exit RetroArch (via clicking (back),(back) and then select (Quit RetroArch) on menu.

5. Now launch a NES Rom through HyperSpin (settings for this core are)>

"exe=com.retroarch/com.retroarch.browser.retroactivity.RetroActivityFuture"

"parameters=cores/nestopia_libretro_android.so".

6. Now press (RetroArch/Space Invader button) on the overlay, at top of screen.

7. Now click (Core Input Remapping Options)

8. Go down to (user 1 B :) select it (and now press the button on the controller you wish to

activate the B button) then continue with the rest of the buttons in the list you will need:

(NES will be Dpad up,down,left and right, A and B button, and Select and Start.

9. Next press (Save Core Remap File) and then press (back).

10. Next press resume content (your controller should be working now, but you may still have the

screen overlay).

11. Now press the (RetroArch/Space Invader) button again.

12. On the menu screen press (back) in the top left corner or press B on overlay.

13. Now press (settings).

14. Go down to (On Screen Overlay) and press it.

15. Press (Display Overlay) to toggle the overlay on/off.

16. Now press (back),(back) and then press (Save New Config).

17. Now press (Quick Menu).

18. And now press (Resume Content)

19. Hey presto everything should be working.

20. Now press back,back and then Quit RetroArch your configuration

should now of saved.

It might seem like a bit of overkill to keep resuming content, but there is a double configuration in RetroArch when launching with a front end, instead of running it direct!!! Reznnate has covered this afew times in the forums, and I like to make sure it saves the settings. I hope this helps :)

Download (ES File Explorer) this will show you the full path to your storage :)

Are these instructions for someone using a Shield TV? #6 you say to press a button on the overlay and that sounds like using a touchscreen. For Nvidia Shield TV there is no touch screen and only a controller.

The Nvidia TV box controller's Dpad should work on the RetroArch menu, just highlight your choice using the Dpad, and select by pressing (B), and (A) for back. My girlfriend has bought me a Nvidia TV box for Christmas, so if you're still struggling then let me know, but this should work :)

not sure if I can help in anyway so I will monitor this thread.

Ive got a nice working Hypersin on my Shield Portable, it works very well indeed. Got several systems runnign very good with just a couple of glitches to iron out. the guide posted above is excellent and should help you on your way.

Hello Sting or anyone else who can help.  You lost me on step #6 above.  I open a NES game and cannot do much of anything.  If I press down on the right-side knob, I can start the game.  And I think the D-pad works to move the character.  However I don't know what you mean by "press (RetroArch/Space Invader button) on the overlay, at top of screen."  I only have the controller that came with the Shield TV console and there is no way to move a mouse around and press anything.  I don't even see which button on the overlay you're talking about.  Can you please be much more detailed and tell me how exactly to do this step #6?  I have no idea what you mean.  There is no mouse cursor on the screen so the D-pad does nothing.

Ok so I figured out step #6 above.  At least on my Shield TV console, there is no cursor when using the D-pad.  At least not by default and I don't know how to enable that feature.  If you press the left-arrow button (Just to the left of the power button on the Shield controller, it brings up the menu along the left-side of the screen.  I was then able to get through to step #11 where I again had to use the left-arrow button to bring up the menu.  I was able to get into settings and turned off the overlay.  That was one of the few things I was able to figure out in this horribly designed confusing problem by myself.  But hey, I'm making progress so thank you.  Now if you could just tell me how to get sound from this program through the Shield I think I may have a working system.  Then I can move on to the rest.  Sounds works with everything else on my Shield so not sure why RA when playing a NES game with the Nestopia core doesn't output sound.  I have sound on in the menu and I see the decibel setting goes from -80 to 12. It was at zero. Not sure how to enable sound here.  The game plays but no sound.  Thanks for any help in advance.

I got the sound to work.  I'm not sure how though.  I think I just made sure it was on and set to 12db.  I exited and returned and now it's working.  Weird that it didn't before.  So the only issue now is that the overlay keeps coming back.  I turn both the top-2 options off for the overlay in settings.  I even press save config.  I resume and keep playing the game with no overlay.  Then I exit RA from the menu and when I start the game from Hyperspin again the overlay is back.  How can I ensure it's gone by default any time I load any game in this core for NES with Nestopia?  Thanks

Retroarch has a bug currently with launchers where it stores the .cfg file in another place.

So there is a config file for launching Retroarch directly and a different/separate config file used when launching from Gamesome, Hyperspin, Arc Launcher, etc.       So, load your NES game, THEN make config file changes, THEN be sure to exit Retroarch so your changes are saved.

It's really confusing.   I've posted about this a few times because it got me too.

I've done that and it doesn't work.  Any other ideas?  Or are you just not giving enough detail?  I open a game and the overlay is there.  I turn it off and save the config file.  I go back to the game and play with no overlay.

I exit RA through the menu.  I even exit Hyperspin and reboot the Shield.  I open Hyperspin and the NES system. I select the same game and it has the overlay still.  If I'm missing something please give exact steup-by-step instructions on how to do what you're saying.

Thanks

Under (settings) in RetroArch there is a (Configuration) tab, click on this after defining your buttons. Then click on (Load Override Files Automatically) so the option at the end reads (ON), and then do the same with (Load Remap Files Automatically) so it also reads (On). Then go back and save configuration as per the guide, continue your game and then exit out of RetroArch. If this works I'd suggest setting up Sega CD next, and any other system that needs (bios files to run). Otherwise I think you may have problems down the line!!! :/

I will go see if I can do what you're saying if you're able to provide a link to "the guide" you're referring to.  Or if you can just provide step-by-step exact instructions on how to do the saving properly that will be even more helpful.

I'll report back after I have time to try and figure this out.  

Once you answer I will try this out and report back.  Thank you for replying.

Went in without the additional information needed and tried to figure it out.  Still no good.  I opened Retroarch outside of Hyperspin since you didn't specify if I should do this in RA by itself or from within Hyperspin.  Set the overlay to off and made the changes you mentioned above.  Closed RA and opened Hyperspin and the overlay is still there.  I hit the select button on my Shield TV controller.  I'm not sure what the button should really be called but it's the one with the arrow pointing left, just to the left of the power button on the center of the controller.  That is what brings up the RA menu from within a NES game once RA is launched through Hyperspin.  I do the same procedures you mentioned of turning off the overlay and enabling the 2 settings above that you mention.  I save a configuration.  I now have about 6 of them saved.  I'm not sure how it chooses which one to use or if the names matter.  They all have basically the same name with an incremental number at the end.  Anyway, after changing all the settings and saving the config I return to the game and play it again for a minute.  The overlay if off.  I then exit RA from the menu and go back into the game through Hyperspin and the overlay is back again.  So, as you can tell, you're dealing with newbs who can't figure things out for themselves even after hours of trying their best.  To me this means this software is bugging, non-intuitive, and a nightmare to use.  But hey, if you're willing to include the step-by-step exact details that everyone so far has left out of their post, I'm willing to spend more time in this nightmare setup trying to get it to work.  I'm obviously doing something wrong or this program just doesn't work period.  Are you willing and able to give the detail we need to get this running?  Beyond frustrated at this point.

Messed around and got the overlay to stay gone. I had to go to settings, configuration, and turn on all 4 options.  I'm not sure if they're all needed or what they all do exactly but that's what fixed it for me.  Now I just need to go figure out button mappings for the controller and how they can save.  For some reason mine are screwed up.  Oy

Archived