Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Setup instructions needed for novices

djdaveoc

I have defined my buttons.  I have the B button for the NES pad set to X on my Shield TV controller.  However it's not reflected when I actually play a game.  I resume after making sure the settings are still there and even though I have the B button mapped to X and the A button mapped to A, the buttons I have to press to actually play a NES game are the Y and B buttons on the Shield TV controller.  Any idea how I can fix this?  So weird.

If I was you I'd invest in stand alone emulator's from the Google play store, it will make it miles easier for you :) Most of the the settings in RetroArch you are never going to use, and you will never be able to set up systems which need bios files with your current setting's. For the price of a coffee you can support the emulator creator's, and get a much easier interface :) I use a mixture of RetroArch and other emulator's, but to get you moving forward I'd invest in a few standalone ones, most even have a free version too :)

P.S.

You don't need to post a question across 3 threads, it highlights a new post when someone adds to the forum :D It just makes it easier for people to find things on the forum that way, instead of reading the same questions on each thread :)

I have already purchased most of the Android emulators.  I just don't know how to get them working in Hyperspin for Android.  I can play games on the Shield TV from the emulator only, I just want to use Hyperspin like I do in my cab.  I switched to RetroArch because in some forums posts here people said it was the easiest way to get Hyperspin Android working.  I figured out the controller issue last night.  My Shield controller is called "RetroPad" and some of the buttons on the overlay were backwards.  It took me awhile to notice this.  So I had to map B to Y instead of to X and it worked the way I wanted.  I had to map A to B instead of to A to get that button working as I wanted.  So the controller was then fine.  However nothing I was doing last night was lettng my config. save after exiting RA and Hyperspin.  I'd go back into Hyperspin and launch a NES game and the overlay was back etc.  It keeps defaulting back to the original config. file even though in settings and configuration I've enabled the bottom 2 options.  I'm not sure why I can't save the config with the buttons I want, turn off the overlay, basically setup the NES the way I want and have it save so every time I turn on the Shield and launch Hyperspin and the NES system I won't have to adjust anything.  I just want it to be easy to play like a real console would be.  I'm going to have wife and kids playing this and maybe friends.  They won't know how to mess with settings every time they open this.  Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong?  I've tried doing everything people say in these posts but it's not saving the changes I make.  I have to make them every time I start this.  Is this just not working for anyone?  Is this program bugged and needs to be fixed? 

I don't know how to get my emulators working in Hyperspin without RA.  If it's easier/works better, can someone post a how-to article for everyone so people can actually get this system running without committing suicide or making this a full-time job?

I have nes.emu by Robert Broglia for NES, GBA.emu by Robert Broglia for GBA, MD.emu by Robert Broglia for Sega Master System and Genesis, MAME4droid (0.139u1) by Seleuco for MAME, SuperLegacy16 by Neutron Emulation for SNES (but I can use the free Snes9x EX+ by Robert Broglia if you think it's better)

If you can send an ini with these systems added I'll really appreciate it.  I don't know how to edit the ini to make each emulator/system work. 

Any additional setup needed other than making the ini work?

The path to my roms for NES is:

/storage/sdcard1/Hyperspin/Emulators/Nintendo Entertainment System/roms

Here you go, just download,unzip and put it into your setting's folder in HyperSpin. If you have a (Setting_Android) folder put it in this one instead. These will be found in the Hyperspin folder, You should now be up and running :)

1. Now just copy the folder somewhere else and rename it to the next system you want to setup (I'm going to use (Sega Genesis) with (MD.emu) and then put it back in the settings folder.

2. Open file with any editor tool or programming.

3. On the line (rompath=) change the system name from (Nintendo Entertainment System) to (Sega Genesis).

4. Now on the line (exe=) delete (com.explusalpha.NesEmu/com.imagine.BaseActivity) and replace with (com.explusalpha.MdEmu/com.imagine.BaseActivity) this is the emulator shortcut for (MD.emu).

5. Next the (romextension=) my roms are either (.zip) or (.gp) so I change this line to (romextension=zip,gp).

6. Save the file, and hey presto Genesis should be working :)

All compatible emulator setting's can be found here on the forum (http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/topic/8537-settings-android-emulator-settings/)

NES setting file Android.zip

Next stupid question.  My goal is simple for right now.  Just trying to get NES working from Hyperspin with nes.emu for now.  No Retroarch since I can't get that to work.  I edited the exe= line as instructed.  I changed the rom extension to .nes only since the roms aren't zipped.  When I open Hyperspin it works and I can open the NES system.  I see the wheel and games list with media.  I select a game and it opens the menu for the emulator.  I was under the impression that if you selected a game from the wheel it would just open the game straight away like Hyperspin on a PC does.  Is this not how it's supposed to work?  If it is able to launch a game and not just the emulator menu, what setup/settings might I be missing?

Thanks

Glad you were able to get help from those nice enough to spend their time trying to help us.  Hyperspin for PC was a nightmare to setup over a year ago.  Not sure if it's much better now.  Don't have time to redo my whole setup that I spent probably 300-hours working on.  It's no better for Android.  There is a lack of documentation and how-to videos where an expert or 2 walk people through a complete setup. So here I am asking a million questions.  I have a few systems working with stand-alone emulators because the Google Play version of RetroArch is a buggy nightmare to try and use.  I'll have to settle with this for now.  Maybe in a few weeks when I have more time if I can figure out how to do it I'll make a video showing a setup or at least document it for an Nvidia Shield with a step-by-step to attempt to help the community.

Hey m8 how have you got on i started it yesterday morning im running through retroarch at min iv got nes and snes working but struggleing with gb gbc and gba just wonderd if that ini file to run without retroarch could just be renamed and replace for the one for retro arch.ps How many do you have setup now and is it easier? Any one els that can help me i would greatly appreciate it my roms are unziped iv added extra rom file read ZIP,gba,GBA and gameboy advanced is missing most of my game names checked my media and it looks to be all their thanks.

Sorted it school boy error forgot to do the most important thing creat a roms folder grrr haha i was on the ball yeaterday but this morning couldent think what was up its allways something simple haha

• 2 weeks later...

Glad you got it figured out.  I have a few systems running without RetroArch since I can't get it to save and autoselect config files.  I guess for MAME and N64 I'll have to use RetroArch once they update their version and fix bugs. It needs to be an Android TV approved version also since I'm using an Nvidia Shield Android TV console.

N64 (mupen64) core is working for me now I switched the GLUI menu driver to RGUI.   There is clearly an opengl context issue.   This fixed ppsspp for me as well.

I was previously happy with mame2014 as my mame core but it's disappeared in the past week due to buildbot issues.   I hope they fix soon.   When they do, it should just show up in the download core listing.

In the meantime, the mame git core is working okay, it's just slower...

• 10 months later...

well this thread might have helped me solve my issue with that annoying controller overlay.  won't know until tonight when i can try it out though but it seems likely to work since looking within retroarch is one of the only places i haven't actually TRIED yet.

edit | sorry for the bump... hopefully that doesn't run afoul of any rules...

Archived