The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Build something new and versatile (analog nubs in cab)

progets

Considering building a new CP or maybe a new cab that is more versatile. I like the idea of small analog nubs in addition to a standard arcade joystick and buttons in a cab. This would allow a smaller CP with a lot more function. You could play every arcade game, PS2, GameCube, N64, etc. from a cab and not need external controllers. These "nubs" could be taken from a controller or bought raw at a low cost.

Here are my points:

1) real all-in-one cab without obnoxious or huge CP

2) could leverage analog for gun games and mouse

3) 1 U360 controller cost $60 US and these are under $5

4) can easily fit these little guys in almost anywhere (great for retrofits)

5) play PS2 games and modern PC games on your cab

6) play older games with 360 degree control without expensive hardware

7) how would these connect to existing encoders

8) not ideal, but could play analog car/steering games without a wheel

Anyone tried? Any thoughts?

I can't visualize what you want but my thoughts would be that analogue nubs need to be in the palm of your hand for precise control. I can't see you getting that unless you fit sticks to the nubs.

Do you have controllers already attached to your cab?

I don't have gamepad controllers connected to my cabinet. I would say that defeats the point of having a cabinet. I have seen CPs that look ridiculous to get more function. My thought is to add function without being too noticeable. Six full sticks for two players isn't in my future nor would it fit in my bartop cab.

I considered many things before building. I was looking at U360 sticks and RGB buttons but decided against paying 10 times more money for 1,000 times more work to setup and function properly.

Anyone tried? Any thoughts?

Honestly I really can't think of a good reason to go through all that work when the U360's would be much better integrated, give more versatility (2-way, 4-way, 48-way, rotary etc...), work with and without encoders etc...

Sure they cost more, but even at $60/piece they would still be cheap compared to the time you'd need to spend to do it all yourself with nubs. Even if you spent the extra for rotary controls...

Plus you don't end up with a frankenpanel at the end.

Thanks for the input. I have read posts from both of you on other topics prior to this and think you guys really help a lot of people. I try to do the same and appreciate it.

I should have used the word "experimental" somewhere and didn't. I'm trying to think outside of the box and tried-and-true configurations. It might be a bust (in which case it will still make a great way to control volume, zoom, etc. for admin controls). In anything, there is a cutting/bleeding edge and without it there is no progression. I don't mind the bleeding edge unless other's with first hand experienced can provide reasons why it didn't work.

Also, a new/test CP is nothing to me while it might be a big task/chore for others. Any technical pieces fall into the same category. I often forget that many people aren't both strong in IT and wood work. For me, every aspect of a HS cab falls in my wheel house.

I personally like to play with the build and technology as much as I actually play the games. I'm just looking at how it could be better and things people haven't tried.

Thanks again for the advice on this topic and the many others. I hope you both have a great New Years!

Archived