Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

1st Hyperspin/Mame PC Budget Build

GTRetro87

Hey all,

1st PC build here, was going to make one over 10 years ago.. never happened until now lol. And man is there a BIG jump in performance from 10 years ago (256 mb 64-bit cards...ugh)

So here are my specs so far for my budget build:

Intel G3258 CPU (will overclock to 4.2-4.4Ghz)

Asrock Z97 Extreme6

MSI GTX 750 Ti TF 2GB 128-bit GPU

Crucial 8GB DDR3 1600 RAM

Corsair CX600M PSU

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo Cooler

Kingston SSD - 120GB 2.5" V300 Sata3

Case - Possibly a Cooler Master HAF XB EVO

I plan on using this for mostly Arcade gaming, but I will also use it for some newer game playing but of course not in Ultra graphic settings. I don't mind new games in a medium to high custom setting, this is a budget build. After this, I will build myself a HIGH END PC.... but that's $$ down the road after getting the hang of working with this.

Will keep everybody posted shortly on progress!

There are a lot of people using the g3258 around here...including me in two machines, in my cab and in my nes-pc. Works great, and i don't even have a gpu other than integrated in the nes. Cheap and powerful CPU that one.

Only comment is that i don't see a hdd in your list? You will want more space than 120gb and want to keep that system ssd with some headroom. I have the same ssd in my cab and only have windows on it. Even the videos for the games won't fit on there.

Other than that it looks good. Will run at least up to ps2 games.

You're right I forgot to add the HDD to the list. 

I've got a 1TB WD Performance (Black) HDD which I think should be plenty for the amount of games I'll actually want to play. I think the kind of games I'll mainly have on hyperspin is mame/arcade games since I used to collect/restore arcade PCB's... so might as well toss out the hassle, build a PC and make some money back lol

I just got Windows 7 Pro 64-bit setup last night and so far it's running pretty quick (damn SSD's make this thing snappy). I haven't yet installed hyperspin, but I did install Doom 3 last night and it runs on ultra settings pretty well lol.

updates soon to come once stress testing, overclocking, more testing and hyperspin is installed!

Save your dough. This is overkill if you are playing arcade games/MAME. MAME is emulated in the CPU. None of the graphics routines are offloaded to the GPU.

A lot of guys that are building CRT based cabs have to use really low-end hardware because interfacing a PC with an arcade monitor can only be done with certain cards (which are all low-end older cards). These systems work fine for playing MAME. Here is what I am running HyperSpin and MAME on for one of my cabs:

AMD Athlon X2 5600+

4gigs DDR2

120gig SDD

Windows XP 64-bit

Radeon HD4350

This PC was donated to me from a friend. Spent another $14 for the HD4350 and that is all. This PC of course has a specialized purpose and is never used for anything else. Unless you need this PC for another purpose than being just a MAME box, no need to spend the extra cash.

Save your dough. This is overkill if you are playing arcade games/MAME. MAME is emulated in the CPU. None of the graphics routines are offloaded to the GPU.

A lot of guys that are building CRT based cabs have to use really low-end hardware because interfacing a PC with an arcade monitor can only be done with certain cards (which are all low-end older cards). These systems work fine for playing MAME. Here is what I am running HyperSpin and MAME on for one of my cabs:

AMD Athlon X2 5600+

4gigs DDR2

120gig SDD

Windows XP 64-bit

Radeon HD4350

This PC was donated to me from a friend. Spent another $14 for the HD4350 and that is all. This PC of course has a specialized purpose and is never used for anything else. Unless you need this PC for another purpose than being just a MAME box, no need to spend the extra cash.

Couldn't have said this better. Don't understand why some guys are essentially just playing mame and handful of other retro consoles and are forking over a ridiculous amount of money for higher end hardware.

The G3258 is an absolute beast of a processor for the price. I was able to OC mine up to 4.1. I also have the 750ti in my build too and I'm able to run everything up to and including Wii so you'll have no problems with power :)

You should check out the Raven RVZ01 case, it's pretty neat.

Hey guys,

lol yes I did mention I was going to play newer games too -- I mean I do change my mind from time to time, but this will be an arcade/new game PC. I mean, the reason I'm here is to have help setting up hyperspin. 

I could easily fork over more $$ to have an HDD setup from home arcade systems or whoever else, but i'm a tinkerer and a DIY guy so.. I'll try, and if all else fails I'll search out for the service

Btw I picked up the Corsair Spec-01 case. Bit of a cheap case in my opinion, but for the price, I think it's not half bad at all! Just don't really care for the feet of this case, a little too cheap for my liking. Id' rather have rubber feet that are adjustable than plastic.. meh. And yea, I could have definitely gone MUCH cheaper, but I figured what the heck -- I might as well up it a bit so that I could at least play high end games (or newer without all the ultra settings cranked, new games look better than old games on low settings anyway!)

Besides, I picked up the GPU and Motherboard as clearance items from my local MicroCenter, and with the CPU and everything else being cheaper (PSU on sale)... I spent less than $500 (USD) minus taxes! So I think I did pretty well for a nice budget, Medium to high graphically capable PC which I'm able to run Mame all the way to Battlefield 4 and beyond!

Anyways, I'm on the quest to overclock this baby.. now that I've got it running with drivers and all updated! So far I've installed steam (only the demo of Limbo I have currently, which is really fun!)... and Doom 3, one of my all time favorite PC games (besides Redneck Rampage lol).. and everything is running top notch and PERFECT 60 FPS.. with those of course, not that they're CPU intensive

I will follow through a guide on how to prepare and setup hyperspin shortly, will keep you all posted!

• 2 weeks later...

I definitely do have a sweet base, especially now that I decided to upgrade the PSU, CPU and GPU, so thank you Austin!!

I've installed: an EVGA supernova 750 G2 PSU, a 4790k CPU, and a Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 GPU :)))

Btw I've been following your tutorials on YouTube on setting up Hyperspin. Only things I have left to do are root mame in RocketLauncher to get it working in hyperspin and also install a full romset for v171 MAMEUIFX

So far MAME is working, just have to find a really good version of Konami X-men as its my favorite arcade game of all time lol. The version I have had the sound ever so slightly off from the original PCB that I have.

hyperspin is working at the very least, looks like a sweet sweet front end!!!

Updates soon!

Got Hyperspin and MAME v.0171 running!!!!!

The only thing I want to figure out is the controls portion. I believe certain files pertaining to this were labeled as "special" if I'm correct, could be wrong. But it involves being able to use Xbox controllers. 

Now, at the moment I'm not but I do have so that later on I could. Currently I'm using a nice big 4 player control panel from a Captain America cab which I've added extra buttons (6 buttons each for player 1 and 2) and have all players wired up to DB15 connectors which then join to an IPAC4 for 4 player fun!!

One issue, I don't like how player 1 and player 2 start buttons pressed together exits the game to go back to hyperspin. Accidently, my fiance and I had pressed start at the same time and we exited teenage mutant ninja turtles back to the hyperspin menu AND WE WERE FREAKING OUT lol.. mainly cause the game music and sounds were playing in the background and we saw nothing but the main menu

I need to figure out how to fix or adjust this so it NEVER happens again. I'd rather there not be an exit key function from the keyboard (IPAC4 simulates a keyboard), and just use the Esc button from my keyboard itself.

Please help on this. Also, all my artwork I think is in the mame folder. Super C belongs in NES and not in MAME, so ... gotta fix that

other than that, working well! 

Nice set up, looks like a bit of overkill xD

I mean, it's similar to my set-up, but it's my main desktop pc.

On the other hand, if you have the money, why the F not! If you want to upgrade in the foreseeable future, you really only need to upgrade the GPU or storage space at some point. Years of fun are to be had here :)

I personally will use my old Phenom II 965 BE rig I've loaned to my brother for a cab if I'm ever gonna build one, but by that time I might've already replaced my current pc xD

If I were to buy new hardware, I'd probably go for 2nd hand hardware as it can be had for quite a bit less then new. I'd just go 1 generation back in top of the line. So like a 3770K at this moment in time etc.

Archived