Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Building a cab? Don't screw! Gorilla Glue!

Guest cici001

Question

If you are planning on building a cabinet. I highly suggest skipping the screws and jump to glue and finishing nails.

I was talking to a professional wood worker at Home Depot shortly after I started my pin build. He was asking what I was building and how I was going about doing it. I mentioned that I was using 3/4 wood and screws and some woodglue. He said he not to use screws as they will start to loosen over time. I noticed this with my MAME cabinet where I used the same building technique. The screws were starting to come out and pop through my wood filler/bondo. He suggested using Gorilla Glue and finishing nails. This will leave a good solid bond along with no big holes to fill.

I tested the Gorilla Glue on a couple spare pieces of wood. Needless to say... after some serious pounding. I mean way more pounding than a cab would go through during it's lifetime. I finally had a failure... However, inspection revealed that the wood failed before the glue. Well, I was already about 5 hours into my build when I talked to him. After my stress test of Gorilla Glue, I decided to undo what I had already done and start over.

My build is nearing the final stretch... I've built both the cabinet and the backbox using only Gorilla Glue and finished off with small finishing nails. I need to chisel off or sand off some of the access glue, but I am very happy with the outcome thus far. The cabinet is EXTREMELY sturdy and I now swear by using this stuff when it comes to all my future wood working jobs.

If you aren't too far into your build; then I HIGHLY suggest you look into using this method. I'm sure that gluing adds more time onto the build, but from my experience this is much better than having to re-screw and re-fill holes after a couple years.

*this was not a paid advertisement from Gorilla Glue*

5 answers to this question

Hehe, not paid by gorilla glue, wink wink...

Just kidding, I second it!

I do however still use pilot holes and screws in my builds, but I also use wood glue as locktite on my screws so they cannot move once dry, however, it still makes things a bitch to fix when something needs a redo

So if you use glue make sure you have it perfect

Or use pilot holes and screws, get it together make sure you're happy, then take it apart and go back together with glue

It's kind of the "measure twice, cut once" approach

Hmm, I did all the screws from the inside, no need to ever fill holes... Also it's been 10 years and never had an issue with it. I even had to dismantle it once because it wouldn't fit into my basement down the steps. This would not of been possible if I glued.

Hmm, I did all the screws from the inside, no need to ever fill holes... Also it's been 10 years and never had an issue with it. I even had to dismantle it once because it wouldn't fit into my basement down the steps. This would not of been possible if I glued.

Me too. Had to dismantle 4 times. Glue not for me...

Archived