The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

4 PLayer showcase cabinet with Dedicated console controllers

nicolasg

Hey everyone,

I've been a long-time lurker and have been planning a 4 Player arcade + trackball+ spinner +dedicated 4 way+ dedicated console controllers showcase cabinet for a while now.

Ever since I've gotten into the emulation scene I have loved to play with original controllers for the actual console being played.

So far I've collected all the controllers with their controller to USB adapter (x2).

the tally so far is:

NES

SNES

N64

GameCube

Master system

Sega Genesis (6 button)

Dreamcast

psx/2

My next dilemma is to how to easily incorporate this into a cabinet. I want to make the controllers easily accessible and easily put away and always connected ( so they can be properly configured and stay that way)...

So I was thinking of a level below the control panel with indents for each controller to rest them in. the cables get run through the cabinet and stored in their own compartment it pulls out when you want to use it but not sure out to get the cables back in...I was thinking maybe a weight on the cables or a rod that runs the length of the cabinet where the loop runs under the rod so that when you are done you put the rod down and the cable + controller gets pulled back into the cabinet. cable management is a huge priority in this project since one of the things I don't miss about the old consoles was the mess of controller cables

Does anyone know of anyone who attempted a cabinet like this? Any Ideas are more then welcome , one thing though is that I'm set on this idea as I want my kids to experience playing on the real controllers from my childhood. I started to collect the real consoles but that got expensive + ran out of space pretty fast.

Thanks for your input!

Nick

Are you talking about one of the Dynamo Showcase arcades? Or are you planning on building a showcase typed arcade? I own a Dynamo Showcase myself, and I have attempted to modify a second control panel to accommodate 4 players but with the extra's (trackball / spinner / dedicated 4 way) there is just no way to do it... without it being cramped and just an eye sore.

The controller idea sounds awesome. With the 4 player setup that I built I used two original Xbox controllers, which sit on the side of the control panel. Wires kind of just hang out the back and are tucked away when not in use.

Perhaps consider something similar to a droplight. Pull the cord, and it clicks and locks in place. Pull it so it isn't "locked" and reals itself back in. Just throwing the idea out there. Not sure if it's feasible or not.

RenegadeFred, Thanks for the idea I'll look into it. As for the showcase cab, I'm thinking of building a control panel , a la "Arch Angel" cabinet on the forums and then mounting a 46-55" LED TV on the wall in front of it, It can be pulled out for distance away from the tv, to be used with control panel arcade sticks/buttons, or just left along the wall for use with console controllers.

I currently have a Neo Geo MVS that was previously gutted and refinished /w Hyperspin but I want something more complete hence the 4 player + console controllers.

I'm also getting into Steam and I've seen some people incorporate steam into their Hyperspin setups. I'll be including a couple of xbox 360 controllers for that.. so a total of 18 console controllers! I have a 10 port USB hub which I think should handle all the USB adapters for the controllers controllers oh almost forgot Wii emulation ( so add 2) so 20 total!...

OK, so it seems you'll have plenty of room to do what you will with the control panel.

20 controllers? IDK what to say.. Just take plenty of pictures of the progress I'd like to see how it all works and looks in the end!

As far as Wii goes. Bluetooth interferes with the Taito Type X games, not sure If you planned on having that or adding it, but check around on the forums there may be a "fix" to it.

Yeah 20 seems a bit much, last time I looked into Wii emulation it seemed it was a pain to sync up the wiimotes each time for use, so that may be out (currently having a wii anyhow) so really it's 9x2 for controllers, wii is still up in the air. As for the incompatibility I'll need to look into that seems a bit odd! Won't be building for a bit since I'm in the middle of a basement remodel, /home theatre/games room, ( read: arcade room) I was just seeing if anyone wanted to share ideas... have plans for a 3 screen Driving sim setup and also a Hyperpin machine ( I just picked up a a 1973 Gulstream pinball machine that was gutted and needed a new home ($100) ( no back box) it's older then I am, I was born in '78!) I would love a real pinball but too much work for maintenance... this way I'll be able to maintain since I'm a computer tech for a living :) Lots of projects in the future!

nicolasg: you may want to check out this thread: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?29063-Bliss-box

Instead of making a crazy contraption, the bliss box combined with xpadder should allow you to make a plug and play setup for any system and controller. Storage could be a simple bin/drawer which your kids can pull a controller out then plug it in and play. I know that isn't the "pull the cable back in" type setup you are looking for.

Worst case, go here: http://www.retractablecables.com/ and mod a cable to your liking.

nicolasg: you may want to check out this thread: http://www.hyperspin-fe.com/forum/showthread.php?29063-Bliss-box

Instead of making a crazy contraption, the bliss box combined with xpadder should allow you to make a plug and play setup for any system and controller. Storage could be a simple bin/drawer which your kids can pull a controller out then plug it in and play. I know that isn't the "pull the cable back in" type setup you are looking for.

Worst case, go here: http://www.retractablecables.com/ and mod a cable to your liking.

@ somail. Actually I've ordered one of his boxes but it turns out that it didn't meet my needs. It was limited and also found out all the controllers could not be active at the same time making it difficult for configuration... Also I had to manually change a switch on the box for it to use the desired controller. I decided I needed dedicated usb adapters for each controller or pair of controllers. He was a good guy witha good idea but wasn't right for my idea. Thanks for the link though appreciate it.

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Tapatalk 2

FWIW - I too considered a showcase but changed my mind. That's just a space killer. I highly recommend you simply create a 4 player pedestal, invest into a bliss-box and hang a fat ass 50+ TV on the wall. I plan on buying 2 controllers for each system and using them for the original console games to give it the most "authentic" experience. I personally despise using one controller for all consoles.

Once you'd get the pedestal done, add wheels so when done playing you can simply push it up against the way and save space.

IMHO, this is the coolest and most feasible way to do this kind of project. I didn't however say it's the most cost effective though ;)

EDIT: I just read your post about the bliss-box. First off why would you want all controllers active? Personally I'd only plug in 2 at any given time anyway. The last thing I want is a pile of active controllers laying all over the place.

If you had issues did you contact him and ask fo help?

I did mean pedestal earlier with a 46" to 55" tv. And I did explain that one of the priorities was to make the cabling so that it would be organized hence the controllers would not be all over the place. They would be built in to the control panel somehow and pull out easily and returned to the original home easily . The reason for all active is setting up the software and remove the hassle of plugin and unplugging stuff. I hate having to stop and think of what to plug in. I just want to get up and go to the next game with the appropriate controller. Thanks for commenting!

Also re the blissbox. Yeah i did contact him and asked about the design and at that point in time was set to manually switch bettween controllers which was not part of my idea. And since I'm building a 4 player pedestal it will be easy enough to hide all the cabling and set up the controllers so they are all easily accessible.

I predict you will run into some issues with 16+ controllers. I would suggest finding a way to "unplug" them. Maybe some sort of usb switch board that can be automated, that way they stay connected but not on the entire time.

My friend run this without any problems on the emulators (don't know if it have problems with hyperspin) but you should buy USB Extension card

My friend run this without any problems on the emulators (don't know if it have problems with hyperspin) but you should buy USB Extension card

I think as long as I keep them plugged in I won't have any issues. When assigning joy pad config if I unplug and re plug the controllers I my run into problems having the emulator locate the controller again. And yes I am planning to get some usb expansion cards.

Archived