Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Force wheel in attract mode to land on only those games you specify

RPO R6V

Sorry if this has been discussed before. Would it be possible to make it so that in attract mode the wheel would only stop on those games you want it to? I'm thinking if I throw a party it might be nice to have it land only on games that are fairly familiar to casual players (e.g. Pac-Man).

Not a terrible idea, but I was thinking more of having a full selection of games available for anyone who might want to play a more obscure game. But I do think that constantly showing the themes for only the most popular games might encourage more people to try the cabinet.

What I'm thinking of is this: right now if you look at my cabinet you see only a MAME wheel with about 300 games that are in my favorites xml. When attract mode spins the wheel it stops on random games. I want it instead to stop only on games I say it can stop on. All of the other 300 games would still be visible on the wheel as usual and their themes would be displayed if the user used a joystick to select one from the wheel.

What I'm thinking of is this: right now if you look at my cabinet you see only a MAME wheel with about 300 games that are in my favorites xml. When attract mode spins the wheel it stops on random games. I want it instead to stop only on games I say it can stop on. All of the other 300 games would still be visible on the wheel as usual and their themes would be displayed if the user used a joystick to select one from the wheel.

out of curiosity why would you want this?

Only way I can see this being done is setup a secondary set of Database files that contain only popular games. When you want to use them then go ahead and swap out ya DB.

That would work. But what you consider popular might not be fun for me or your mate or his girlfriend. Popularity is subjective. Just let it be and setup your favourites and when people want to know what to play they can just choose from your favs list or from the full list. :)

Why would I want that? Good question. I have a fairly big “man cave” in which I sometimes throw parties. It contains a pool table, a dart board, a pinball machine, and a MAME cabinet. Most of the usual attendees are not what you would call hardcore videogamers, though honestly I don’t always know that for sure – for example, maybe my wife makes a new friend and invites her and her husband to our next party; neither of us have ever met the husband so maybe he’s heavily into gaming or maybe he couldn’t care less. So my thought is, if the MAME cabinet is always displaying themes for games that are (or were in their day) very popular with “the masses” (e.g. Pac-Man, Space Invaders, Donkey Kong, and so on – I know that list is open to debate) maybe it will be more likely that someone will wander over to it and give it a try than if it’s constantly displaying themes for much more obscure games. However, I do want the obscure games to be visible and easily selectable from the wheel for that one person who would really get a kick out of playing one (or more).

Ahhh I see. That could be useful. I think I would have rather have weighted percentages than choosing specifically what it can land on. This way the popular ones can be set to be more frequently concurring and the less popular ones could still appear.

Don't hold your breath waiting for this feature. New features sadly haven't been added to HyperSpin since 2010.

It isn't coming so you're best off thinking of a workaround. I don't know of any frontend attracts that does it?

Make a specific genre xml with those roms you want to land on. Leave that genre section in attract mode, when you come to play it push the favorites button, choose game. Best way I can think of.

Archived