The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Is this used custom controller a good deal? (image attached)

Anon512

Is this custom controller a good deal?

A local seller (2 hours drive each way) is selling it for $150.00 cash plus he said he would throw in a 1TB hard drive full of his arcade ROMS (he did not say what the configuration was for this hard drive so I assume the ROM files are just in their own folders???)

Here are the specifications for this controller for sale:

1.  He brought it as a "kit" from a California based arcade build company that sends you the pre-drilled controller and you just have to buy your own buttons, joystick and track ball. I forget the name of it.

2.  He put it together and he said that it cost him $500 in hardware parts not including the cost of time having to put it together.

3.  The buttons, joysticks, and trackball are "crimped" on rather than soldered so if any of them ever break, I can replace them easily.

4.  He has built 3-4 of these for friends and this one is just left over without a cabinet home and it is 1-2 years old. He took it across country via car when he moved.

5.  He would use it himself but he does not have a home to build a cabinet for it.  (he actually does not build the cabinets but he would buy a vintage arcade cabinet and retro-fit it).

6.  He is willing to demo it if I drive the 2 hours each way to his house.

7.  He said he is willing to help me over the phone connecting it and getting my emulator working on the PC it is connected to but he only used "mGalaxy" as an emulator and not "Hyperspin" for the 3-4 systems he built.

8.  I could build my own controller (I have all of the tools except for a the fine tipped "hole saw"  to create the button holes) I own a router, table saw, miter saw, jigsaw, clamps, etc.) but for this price, it may be worth buying this rather then spending the time and money building my own.

9.  The seller confirmed that he paid $150-$200 for the pre-drilled top kit and he said it is heavy (made of some kind of fiberboard).

10.  The seller confirmed that the buttons can "light up" if I add a "light" below the controller cabinet.

11. The seller is desperate to get rid of FAST  it because he does not have the space to hold it in his current residence.

12. The seller confirmed that the buttons are not soldered but are "crimped" on. Therefore if any buttons break, it will be easier to replace them.

13. There are also pinball buttons installed on the sides that you cannot see.

Here is the description of the add in italic bold:

I built this control panel was built about 1.5 years ago and intended to put it on a machine for sale. I was building mame machines and selling them to friends. This one didn't make it onto a cabinet unfortunately. Its all brand new Joy sticks, buttons and roller ball. has pin ball buttons on the sides and front. Theres about $500 in just hardware here plus my time wiring up the unit. Its complete and ready to plug and play. The picture of the completed arcade is there to give you some ideas. but with this control panel the majority of the work is done. I'll also answer questions you might have during your build. Its a good deal. I'm pricing it at $150 , I need it sold fast.

Is it a good deal?

00f0f_Lwos5UKmVq_600x450_zpsbd7t9ybr.jpg

Does it have an encoder? You didn't mention that.

For $150 that's probably a good deal, other than it looking ugly as sin and having a straight 6 button layout (probably my least favorite and most uncomfortable)

What brand are the joysticks and buttons though? What kind of encoder does it have? if they're good parts/brands then it's probably worth it for those, the encoder and the wiring harness alone even if you scrapped the case. If you want light up buttons though you'd be replacing those with actual led buttons later.

Good questions. 

I guess he inferred that the buttons are "translucent"???  I don't understand why he would confirm that "all I have to do is add a light below the buttons inside the controller bottom" to allow the lights

to light up, he said. Hmmmm.  Is that the possible scenario?

If it comes with an ipac2. Definitely. If not, it's still a good deal. Buttons, joys and trackball all are worth more than $150. The fact that it's already wired is priceless. Wiring is time consuming.

Let's put this into perspective:

That's a Northeast customs Classic controller. Retails for $749 populated. $199 empty.

Looks like the trackball is translucent which means it probably lights up (or can easily be added from underneath). Retail with interface is roughly $70 - $100.

Add the cost of the buttons... You get the idea.

An X-Arcade Tank stick retails for $199. This other one is WAY better.

My advice. Grab it.

DeL

www.youtube.com/delusional2971

If it comes with an ipac2. Definitely. If not, it's still a good deal. Buttons, joys and trackball all are worth more than $150. The fact that it's already wired is priceless. Wiring is time consuming.

Let's put this into perspective:

That's a Northeast customs Classic controller. Retails for $749 populated. $199 empty.

Looks like the trackball is translucent which means it probably lights up (or can easily be added from underneath). Retail with interface is roughly $70 - $100.

Add the cost of the buttons... You get the idea.

An X-Arcade Tank stick retails for $199. This other one is WAY better.

My advice. Grab it.

DeL

www.youtube.com/delusional2971

Thanks!

Any issues with adding cover art to the top of this?

I agree with Metalzoic that is quite a mess. Did they put all the parts in a bag, give it a shake, tip it all on a piece of wood and then drew round where the parts landed. Perhaps a blind begger knocked it up and is it covered in pizza grease?

Sorry I'm being naughty. You may have to rework the top to make it symmetrical.

Pretty much with details of DeLuSioNaL29.

Northcoast Customs parts (all Ultimarc, if original). Buttons are admin on top row, mouse right and left click in middle over trackball, 3 yellow buttons are alpha, delta, omega bases from Missile Command, 2-player fighter on the outside top. Cover art can be ordered from Northcoast Customs including custom art.

Note: Those buttons are not made to be illuminated, no matter what he tells you. Trackball can be lit from below. $749 price tag quoted would have included cover art, spinner and dedicated 4-way joystick that this one does not have. $150 is probably a good price (if Ultimarc parts @ 1.5 yrs old). Hard to verify since that exact design has been in use by several companies including Northcoast (now) back to the original SlikStik (around 2003). Can't tell if plugs are usb or keyboard ps/2. That would be the only indicator of age, unless you see the internal pcb/keyboard encoder.

Note also: buttons unscrew from below with wiring in the way. To put in artwork, you would have to completely disassemble the controller (except trackball which appears flush mounted), keep track of original button/wiring position and rebuild once artwork was in place. You will almost certainly want art at some point.

My advice is buy if you like the price, but not if it is a way to avoid assembling a controller on your own.

It's frikkin huge!!   and ugly.    My advise would be to make your own - you have all the tools (hole saw only cost five quid (dollars - whatever).

Other wise you'll be in a pickle trying to figure out how to make a cabinet as big and ugly as that to house it..

You can get controllers start up kit for about 50 - 60 quid and another 10 for all the wires etc.. 

It's not hard to make - basically a fancy box with holes on - I designed and made my own from scratch with literally no wodworking experience.   I know have a great cab and the experience of doing it!!

You can get controllers start up kit for about 50 - 60 quid and another 10 for all the wires etc..

I'm not sure how much a quid is, but he certainly wouldn't want to build one from cheap or crap parts.

For the pic you should just be able to attach your image using the "more reply options" button at the bottom right. Then attaching your pic.

I'm not sure how much a quid is, but he certainly wouldn't want to build one from cheap or crap parts.

For the pic you should just be able to attach your image using the "more reply options" button at the bottom right. Then attaching your pic.

Quid = 1 Pound Sterling (GBP)

The dude from Archer? He weighs way more than a pound.

Hahaha - I've just had to find out who Sterling Archer is.  Everyday is a school day.

Archived