The Downloads section is back and better than ever! If you spot something out of place, let us know.

Did I Waste My Time Adding 8 Buttons?

aginc81

So I decided to start from the bottom, up and do a whole new build since my previous was lost. I added 8 buttons instead of 6 this time and was thinking the other day when I finished that I wasted my time because PlayStation, Playstation 2, etc have the extra axis stick, which I don't have on my panel. Not sure why I didn't think about it, but I'm pretty sure I wasted quite a bit of time because I had to build a whole new control panel. Any thoughts on this before I go into programming everything?

I have 8 buttons and I think it's the perfect amount. If your planning on adding lots of systems to your set up 8 buttons is fine gives you more to work with.

How do you have your newer system layouts, if you don't mind me asking?

usually I just play modern fighting games or shooter games or anything arcade like that doesn't require an extra stick.

I use the first 4 button's for the face buttons on say a 360 or ps3 controller then the last 4 for the shoulder buttons like L1, L2, R1, R2  then my coin button's as select and my player 1 and 2 buttons as start buttons.

If there is a xbox 360 or ps3 game I want to play that uses 2 sticks I will just  plug in a game pad controller and use it.

Interesting..

What shooting games are you playing with an arcade stick?

usually I just play modern fighting games or shooter games or anything arcade like that doesn't require an extra stick.

I use the first 4 button's for the face buttons on say a 360 or ps3 controller then the last 4 for the shoulder buttons like L1, L2, R1, R2 then my coin button's as select and my player 1 and 2 buttons as start buttons.

If there is a xbox 360 or ps3 game I want to play that uses 2 sticks I will just plug in a game pad controller and use it.

So I decided to start from the bottom, up and do a whole new build since my previous was lost. I added 8 buttons instead of 6 this time and was thinking the other day when I finished that I wasted my time because PlayStation, Playstation 2, etc have the extra axis stick, which I don't have on my panel. Not sure why I didn't think about it, but I'm pretty sure I wasted quite a bit of time because I had to build a whole new control panel. Any thoughts on this before I go into programming everything?

Okay, so here is my take on this.  I don't necessarily plan to add any console games, just using MAME.  I have an 8 button layout (see photo) and am using the X-Arcade control board.  What I like about the layout might be specific to the X-Arcade control board.  Allow me to explain.  If I am playing any game that is not SNK/NEO GEO the buttons work as expected.  When I launch a Neo Geo game the buttons change, buttons 1-3 no longer work and button 7 becomes button 1 button 4 is 2, 5 is 3 and 6 is 4.  Because of the configuration I installed my buttons in, it perfectly mimics (not 100% but enough for me :) )the Neo Geo arcade layout and I love it.

post-108444-0-55127800-1465997113_thumb.jpg

Archived