Download Section Back Up, Navigate the Right Hand Menu to find files, ignore the 0s

Button order

I'm going to be making a CP with 8 buttons, and i've always been curious how people enter them into MAME as far as button 1,2,3,4, etc.  so that it lines up with what would generally be a default pattern used by most arcade games.  Would it be top row is 1-4, and bottom row is 5-8?  Or something else?

For Neo Geo games I would make the top row 1-2-3-4 and the bottom row also 1-2-3-4

For normal arcade games I would make the top row 1-1-2-3 and the bottom row 4-4-5-6 since you have the 2 extra buttons. Seems easier to double them on the left side than the right.... or maybe 1-2-1-2- & 3-4-3-4 for two 4 squares side by side.

This is why I decided to go with 7 instead of 8 3 top 1-2-3 & 4 bottom 4-4-5-6. and for geo top disabled and bottom 1-2-3-4

It is just personal preference I play a lot of fighting games like street fighter so I set my default to top 3 punch 1-2-3 and the bottom kick 4-5-6 then 7 top and 8 bottom

neo geo I just use the top 4 buttons

tekken first 4 buttons top and bottom

MK first 6 buttons top and bottom

Nice, that helps.  So a lot of game genres you have to do per game controls then?  It looks like just a standard 1-2-3-4 top, 5-6-7-8 bottom, would make a lot of games behave weirdly if you left it as a global thing.

Same as you would do with 6 buttons. Set your base global button settings, then alter them as needed for specialty games (or entire systems like Geo)

Funny how people have different preferences here..

I have a 7 button setup like this:

4 5 6

1 2 3

I find that instinctively when people are playing a game (at least in my experience), they use the bottom left 2 buttons in the stack of 6 first.  

I find that instinctively when people are playing a game (at least in my experience), they use the bottom left 2 buttons in the stack of 6 first.  

Totally true. But so many people that play mine pick a fighting game, at some point they will need 

1-2-3

4-5-6

so setting it that way as default saves me for having to configure hundreds of games individually, plus Geo games play well that way too.

Funny how people have different preferences here..

I have a 7 button setup like this:

4 5 6

1 2 3

My friend had an x-arcade stick.It had a similar layout I had it set up like this

1-2-3

4-5-6

1-2

He liked it that way he said it was perfect for him. But it all really depends on what you like to play set your controls up the way it works for you best.

Archived