Unfortunately we had to take download section back offline temporarily. We should have it working normally soon.

Renvils Hyperpin Project

r3nvl

Howdy

Thought I would start a build thread here as not many people seem to be using 32" play field screens.

I'm still buying PC bits but at the moment I have

Samsung 32" 1080p Tv play field

Packard Bell 24" backglass

Dell 17" screen for Dmd

Altec Lansing thx certified 4.1 system for sound

Nvidia GTX560ti

Nvidia 8800 for dmd

Looking to get

I3 3.4 CPU

8gb 2133 ram gskill

Corsair 600w psu

Some form of 1155 socket mono

240gb ssd

Nearly finished my sketchup drawing Nd will post that soon.

Visual pinball and future pinball. Have a kinect so will also try bam!

I know that I will and have already get much help and support from you guys, so thanks in advance at the start of this project!

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Im in the UK FYI

Im struggling to find a few bits at a decent price. Do most people fabricate, or buy parts from old machines for stuff like:-

play field glass

rails

lockdown

coin box

should i just look for a wreck? I feel like i should, but i wanted to keep it smaller form factor.... decisions decisions.

Im in the UK FYI

Im struggling to find a few bits at a decent price. Do most people fabricate, or buy parts from old machines for stuff like:-

play field glass

rails

lockdown

coin box

should i just look for a wreck? I feel like i should, but i wanted to keep it smaller form factor.... decisions decisions.

If you want a non-standard size, I think you're going have to fabricate some of this. There is one authentic part you can order in a custom size: the lockdown bar. A couple of the on-line virtual pinball stores sell those. The other stuff might require improvising, though. The glass is easy, at least; you should be able to get a local window glass shop to cut a piece of tempered glass to a custom size. I found stores in my area that could do a standard cabinet size for about $80 US; smaller should be cheaper. (If you're willing to use plexi, that's probably half the price of glass.) I'm not sure what to do about the rails; maybe get some 1/2" or 3/4" stainless steel angle stock and cut it to the desired length. You could probably even get some real pinball rails and cut them down to size with a Dremel or something like that.

It's definitely a lot easier to find real pinball parts if you go with a standard size cabinet. You can practically build a whole machine out of new replacement parts you can order on-line. It's expensive, but the result looks like a brand new machine fresh from the factory. If you're lucky, you might be able to save a lot of money by buying a dead machine that someone is selling on eBay for parts. It's not a foregone conclusion that you can find one, though - I spent about a year monitoring eBay and craigslist trying to find a suitable candidate, and was never able to find one that was both in satisfactory condition and cheap enough to save me any real money once shipping was factored in. I think pinball machines have become such collector's items that even the dead ones command a pretty steep price on eBay these days. But if you read these forums, you do see reports every so often from people who find great old cabinets with all the hardware for $200.

Thanks for your post. Nice to see people are willing to put the time in to help! :-D

Another question.

Will all of this hardware run in XP? Or will i be better going for win7 with the new hardware? Just wondering about drivers etc, although most people seem to think XP works the best for VP and FP...

Thoughts?

and i have managed to find a lockdown bar, coin door, side rails and legs for £80 which i think I'm going to go for!

r3nvl - i have loads of spare bits from my current build

give me a shout if you want any of it.. (prices will be extremely reasonable )

2x standard size lockdown bars (1x polished)

1x Vishay LEE-128G032-1 DMD (one led faulty on top row)

1x Vishay LEE-128G032b DMD

1x Pindmd1

1x Pindmd2

1x set legs (missing fixing plates)

1x set side rails

1x set zebs original high power booster boards

5x flasher LEDs

coin door

flasher caps

load of buttons

couple of miles of wire..:face palm:

mike..

Yes mate

If you could let me know how much you want for stuff. Especially the metal work.

I'm waiting for confirmation from the other fella about some bits, but if you're cheaper :-P

I'm not sure about the dmd or led's as I've not looked into what to do etc. maybe with some help I could implement them ;-)

Cheers

Chris

r3nvl - i have loads of spare bits from my current build

give me a shout if you want any of it.. (prices will be extremely reasonable )

2x standard size lockdown bars (1x polished)

1x Vishay LEE-128G032-1 DMD (one led faulty on top row)

1x Vishay LEE-128G032b DMD

1x Pindmd1

1x Pindmd2

1x set legs (missing fixing plates)

1x set side rails

1x set zebs original high power booster boards

5x flasher LEDs

coin door

flasher caps

load of buttons

couple of miles of wire..:face palm:

mike..

Mike

Could you list what you have button wise and what you want for the DMD stuff etc. I now have the metal work i need.

Thanks

chris

post-73627-14287062505_thumb.jpg

Ok, so it all sort of went to pot.

I just couldn't live with a 32" screen for the play field. Ive been out and bought a 40" LED Toshiba. Had to build a new cab (of course) and it fits perfectly. There is a good amount of bezel all around the screen. And by that i mean an equal amount. Didn't want to decade it as it came with 5 yr warranty!

Ive also got a nice coin door fitted and have installed it flat to leave space for flashers etc.

What do we think so far??

I think the angle is too steep. Now do i just cut it down in size, or angle the TV a bit???

post-73627-142870625047_thumb.jpg

So, cut down the cab, so that the angle is much lower. Test fitted both screens, with coin door and make sure viewing angles were ok on the screen.

Pics attached. Not sure why they are on the p*ss....

GRRR

To view, do this...

post-73627-142870625116_thumb.jpg

post-73627-142870625111_thumb.jpeg

post-73627-142870625113_thumb.jpeg

post-73627-142870625114_thumb.jpeg

Archived